Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No newspost for this. Hopefully they announce something more substantial soon.

How does it work with Paradox's own games? Do they give each little portrait pack its own release window or do they come out with other stuff?

Fairfax

Arcane
Wait, it took them over 5 months to release some shitty cosmetic DLC?

I'm disappointed. Paradox are losing their touch.
That's their touch. Their strategy games have several portrait/icon packs.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

How does it work with Paradox's own games? Do they give each little portrait pack its own release window or do they come out with other stuff?

Their release usually coincides with a major patch/DLC.

Can't decide which art style (if you can call it that) is worse. Tyranny or TTON?

Sizzle

Arcane
Can't decide which art style (if you can call it that) is worse. Tyranny or TTON?

Oh, TTON, without a doubt. In Tyranny they had to do a couple dozen portraits, and in TTON they had to make, what, maybe 10 of them? And you'd think that those 10 would be fantastic - but no, nope, you'd be so very wrong :D

Hellion

Arcane
For Stellaris, Paradox released a "cosmetic DLC" first that added more optional alien races and some planet art, then a few months later they announced the "Leviathans" story DLC that adds some more substantial content. Hopefully they'll do the same with Tyranny.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I really don't know who thought this was a good idea? For early adopters, this is either negligible or insulting and for people still on the fence no incentive to buy the game. Hardcore fans probably modded the portraits already (if it's possible). Who's the target group for portrait pack so long after release and who thought the minimal revenue outweighs a likely PR disaster?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Character portraits are the kind of shit I'd expect from a "Free DLC" PR stunt. The game is already overpriced... what are Paradox smoking, charging people for this?
Yeah, the game needs a massive overhaul in terms of reactivity and narrative, and what do they do? Release a $3.99 DLC Portrait Pack, like you'll ever use even a fraction of the existing portraits in a game with an extremely rigid storyline and character realization opportunities once you've made a choice in the beginning of the game - before you're even aware of what those choices constitute, if it's your first go, to boot.

I realize that this is pretty much how Paradox roll, piecemeal DLC:s with meaningless and asinine stuff, but it doesn't mean that it's not pretty low or that they shouldn't be criticized for it.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I realize that this is pretty much how Paradox roll, piecemeal DLC:s with meaningless and asinine stuff, but it doesn't mean that it's not pretty low or that they shouldn't be criticized for it.
True, but don't be surprised and don't ask why. That's how Paradox does things and it brings them a lot of cash, so why would they change their procedure?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
True, but don't be surprised and don't ask why. That's how Paradox does things and it brings them a lot of cash, so why would they change their procedure?
Because we tell them to stop that shit and tell others to stop supporting this shit? Every little bit of bitching helps.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Where were you guys when Paradox had been building its power? They just roll like that. Get used to it.

With their own games, they release the portraits together with serious expansions, not randomly after 5 months when no one is playing the game anymore / waiting for content / fixes.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Why the hell are you losing your mind over this portrait pack DCL? Paradox uses this business model in many of its games.

And it's not like you guys really cared for Tyranny, right? It's clear that Paradox will launch one or several expansions soon, probably until PDXCON. So it's a matter of time.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We'll probably have some interesting information on May 5th.

Interim Report Q1 2017
May 5, 2017

Annual General Meeting 2017
May 5, 2017
The Annual General Meeting for the financial year from January 1 to December 31, 2016 will be held on May 5, 2017 in Stockholm, Sweden.

Shareholders who wish to have a matter dealt with at the Annual General Meeting should send in their requests no later than March 17, 2017 at email: Annual General Meeting 2017
I will ask them to fund Obsidian's historical turn-based rpg.

Rev

Arcane
I will ask them to fund Obsidian's historical turn-based rpg.
I'd rather not, since I'm interested in that game and don't want it to end up filled with awful game mechanics and questionable design ideas like Tyranny, nor to see it filled with portrait dlcs and the like.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

You should shill this doc. It means more shekels to your beloved studio.

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned

Each game has handled it differently. Crusader King II has numerous portrait packs. A few were released coinciding with nothing, but the majority were released coinciding with major DLC expansions. Europa Universalis IV cosmetic DLC such as Sprite Packs were similar. Hearts of Iron III sprite packs (this is an older game) didn't typically coincide with anything.

Stellaris so far has released a couple of small cosmetic packs which coincided with nothing. The first major DLC for Stellaris is about to come out and a cosmetic DLC has not been announced alongside it. Hearts of Iron 4 has taken a different model, whereby cosmetic DLC (except for the preorder stuff) does not exist separately, and is instead rolled into the larger expansion DLCs. Together For Victory, the first DLC pack, contained cosmetic stuff for the Commonwealth nations that got fleshed out mechanically and had their focus trees added.

The Paradox Model is just "support the games with DLC over a long period of time", but this has been implemented differently by the different teams, since the project leaders have had control over what format it comes out in. The CK2 / EU4 model is basically something they're moving away from now in their newer games, because they've recognized that it's a bad look to have 50000 shitty DLCs swamping the Steam homepage for the game.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page:

ss_69981504a429ae71330959a034332803616248c0.jpg

ss_9e4a0128c9ca874aa0767550036eff9e69d74687.jpg

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Where were you guys when Paradox had been building its power? They just roll like that. Get used to it.
Its because games like EU and CK are absolutely unique on the market. No one else makes games like that anymore.
Actually Total war is catching up. They will get there in a decade or so. Take that Paradox!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom