Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

skycycle

Educated
I hope it's a more substantial content expansion pack rather than a smaller adventure-style DLC, but either way happy to see Obsidian can now spread out over the development of several different titles.

Starwars

Arcane
Wasn't the hugest fan of this game but it has potential. Will be interesting to see what they've cooked up.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Wasn't the hugest fan of this game but it has potential. Will be interesting to see what they've cooked up.
As usual, waste potential pisses me off more than if the game was just plain bad. I actually like a lot of what Tyranny tried to do. The issue was that it tried to do it; it didn't actually do it, no. It just sorta dangled that shit in front of me and then said "No, fuck you for believing in this" and vaporized, like a succubi dream on a hazy Friday night, forcing you to wake up blue-balled and alone.

The game would need a lot of narrative work to actually be acceptable, but I doubt that will happen.

Sizzle

Arcane

If I had to guess what it will be about - another act that will deal with some unresolved plot threads (like the lack of personal quests for companions) and add some extra content that will bridge it with its (hypothetical) sequel.

It will be interesting to see what they've learned from all the criticism the base game got and if we can maybe get another DLC that rivals The White March in quality. But I'm not holding my breath - the combat is the biggest problem here, and there's little they can do to improve it.

Starwars

Arcane
I wouldn't even mind the combat that much if it the second act didn't turn into such a slog of encounters.

But I think the game has a lot of different problems, most on a very fundamental level. It's too bad because the world is interesting, the main idea (you being a person in power, the Fatebinder) is *very* interesting and the reactivity is genuinely good. But yeah... too bad.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
edit 2: official press release: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...expansion-and-event-pack-for-tyranny.1028821/

---

"Massive" update to the base game and "Event Pack" ("include a host of new events for players to encounter in the game’s overworld") before the expansion today, and an expansion this year: https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/13/1...ds-wound-tales-from-the-tiers-release-date-pc

Tyranny is getting a free update with New Game Plus today, DLC later this year
The Bastard’s Wound adds a whole new region to the game

Obsidian is working on a new expansion for the isometric role-playing game Tyranny. Called Bastard’s Wound, it shares its name with the game’s new region. The base game receives a massive free update today, which adds changes to gameplay and combat as well as a New Game Plus mode.

Released in November 2016, Tyranny takes place in a world separate from Obsidian’s successful Pillars of Eternity series. In the game’s lore, players take on the role of a Fatebinder, the agent of Kyros the Overlord, an evil leader bent on world domination. The game was marked by its embrace of evil, and often asked players to choose between multiple dark options through its many non-combat encounters.

“The Bastard's Wound region is all new to Tyranny, with a host of new quests, and new people to kill, betray, or befriend,” Obsidian told Polygon. “With this new expansion, we delve deeper into the mysteries of Terratus as players bring Kyros' justice (or their own version of it) to a new corner of the Tiers. In addition to the new region, Bastard's Wound gives players a chance to learn more about their companions in a trio of quests tied to key members of their traveling group.”

The DLC will include new story content, as well as new companion quests. Players will get the chance to interact more with Verse, Barik, and Lantry. The game will center around a refugee settlement, where a variety of people have fled the wrath of Kyros, and are eking out a living in secret, hidden from the world. Players will be tasked with determining their fate.

The Bastard’s Wound is expected later in 2017. In advance of the expansion, Obsidian is also releasing a new “Event Pack” called Tales from the Tiers. It will include a host of new events for players to encounter in the game’s overworld, “encounters and stories that can pop up when the player is traveling from place to place. These events include meeting rebels, hostile ambushes, itinerant merchants, and the perils of travel in a land ensorcelled by Edicts.”

A free update for the base game will also accompany Tales from the Tiers. It will focus on systemic improvements, “including a revised skill training system, numerous combat balance tweaks, and the ability to retrain and respec your Fatebinder and companions.”

The update will also include a New Game Plus option, which Obsidian said will allow players to begin the game over with all the stats, wealth, spells and other advantages they gained the first time around.

Both Tales from the Tiers and the free update are available today.

Screens:

ryJMpG0.jpg

xloIBhQ.jpg

zXzW9vw.jpg

EkmyNdP.jpg

ujrIwmQ.jpg

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane
The DLC will include new story content, as well as new companion quests. Players will get the chance to interact more with Verse, Barik, and Lantry.

Ha, nailed it! :cool:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Oops, my bad. The update and the event pack are both coming today. Probably at 17:00 CEST.

Edited the above post.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Huh. Sounds like the expansion is mid-game content rather than an extension or follow-up to the endgame? I'm curious how that will be received by fans. Most of the people who actually finished seemed more put out by the game's abrupt ending, and I suspect they'd have rather had an expansion that tackled what comes next. Guess that's sequel material, if a sequel uis ever considered profitable enough to do.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's still too expensive for what it is. -60% in GOG and the pricetag looks like it should read -15%.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Event pack:

Experience a swath of untold stories from the world of Tyranny, in Tales from the Tiers! This new Event Pack for the critically acclaimed role-playing game (RPG) from Obsidian Entertainment showcases new details and aspects of life within Kyros' empire. Rebels, merchants, servants of Kyros, and more -- all live in the hazardous, war-torn Tiers, and one never knows whom one may meet on the road. New random encounter events, new quests, and new interactions with Tyranny's iconic cast of characters all feature in Tales from the Tiers, meaning players can experience more depth, more story, and more evil than ever.

Alongside Tales from the Tiers Paradox is proud to announce a free update for all Tyranny owners, which includes more ways for players to explore the game's many events and outcomes.

Features of Tales from the Tiers:

New Travel Events:
Random encounters while traveling may lead to new quests, or new events focused on companions and new NPCs

Expanded Story:
Interaction with the denizens of the Tiers let players explore more of the world of Tyranny and its inhabitants

More Replay Options:
A free patch adds New-Game-Plus mode and character re-spec options for an easier way to explore other plotlines

Expansion:

Experience a new chapter of Tyranny, the critically-acclaimed role-playing game (RPG), in Bastard’s Wound, a new expansion that builds upon the game’s compelling story. Tyranny, an original RPG from Obsidian Entertainment, invites the player to make their mark on a world conquered by evil, and the Bastard’s Wound expansion opens up a new area of the Tiers where refugees from the war-torn world have established a haven in secret.

New characters and new stories await players in Bastard’s Wound, including a closer look at the world of the Beastmen, the fate of a refugee settlement, and all-new companion quests featuring three of Tyranny’s most memorable party members.

Bastard’s Wound will feature:
A Refuge from Kyros: Players will explore an all-new section of the world, centered around an illegal settlement of those who have fled the devastation of the war. What sentence will you mete out to the stragglers?

Companion Quests: Learn more about the history and personality of Verse, Barik, and Lantry, in new quests and interactions to earn their loyalty or enmity. What does Barik truly look like under his armor?

Loyalty and Service: Bastard’s Wound will arrive alongside a free update to Tyranny, including new voice-acting, expanded content in the game’s third act, and an all-new path to an unseen ending. What fate awaits those who remain truly loyal to Kyros?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom