Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima U5: Lazarus and Mass Effect: Andromeda lead designer Ian Frazier asking about remaking Ultima

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
At the Ultima Dragons Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/UltimaDragons/permalink/10154640863738797/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/UltimaDragons/permalink/10154640492168797/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/UltimaDragons/permalink/10154647173823797/

Kenneth Kully says:

Point is, he's been making a lot of noise lately about Ultima remakes/new takes.

And it just so happens that EA is looking, apparently, to revisit some old IPs in their 2018 lineup.

Coincidence? Good chance of it. But I'm privately hoping Ian is readying an Ultima pitch, and is using the Dragons to test out some of his different ideas about the series and bringing it back.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tons of people in the responses to the first question saying Dragon Age: Origins :negative:

Hey tibermoon, come here and ask us too.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Wait, Bioware Ultima? Uh.. kay..?

4991462006_6454ed7d88.jpg

Morkar Left

He should start with Ultima 4 instead of 7. Makes much more sense.

And regarding his questions which rpg comes cloeset to Ultima in the last 5 years; W2 and probably Serpents in the Staglands and to an extent Lords of Xulima. And if you go further I would say G3. The Avernum remakes I consider only a formal choice because they are in fact remakes of remakes.

BBMorti

Arcane
Significant overhauling of combat = Combat comfortable to play with an xbox controller.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Combat in Ultima was always crap anyway.

And in all honestly, the modern games closest to Ultima are JRPGs - especially Dragon's Dogma.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They CAN'T use Lord British™ so not sure what this hard re-boot would be.

Guess they could start with IV as the first game with Lady British™ :M

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Ultima's appeal was its quaintness (in world building) and quirkiness (like the Runic alphabet). Any big modern company would literally rape the first and do away with the latter.

:Flash:

Arcane
They CAN'T use Lord British™ so not sure what this hard re-boot would be.

Guess they could start with IV as the first game with Lady British™ :M
You mean the second. That Free to Play Ultima had Lady British.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Leave the poor fuckin corpse o Ultima buried for christs sake, you dig it up an you know they'll start fuckin it up. Eight virtues'll become upper, middle or lower right on controller dialogue wheel, thematic brilliance o early titles will become usual stupid Bioware squeeing shit, an folk learnin Futhark, yeah that won't happen.

AS for living world, environmental interaction an npc routines, modern declined games can't handle that so theres no point tryin. An you just know they'd use cartoony WOW graphics.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Lazarus was good, some might say great, but I think this industry needs less recycling. Make an Ultima inspired game if you like, but do you really need the name? Do you really need the characters? What good will it do?

Ah, right, marketing. "We're so old school, just remember to preorder for the Dragon Age armor pack!"

SniperHF

Arcane
The answer is very clearly no. No you don't want. Bioware or no, there is no way EA will publish anything that isn't festering dogshit.

Even in a happy scenario where it's a smaller project that isn't pushed on the level of EA's major games, the best case scenario is an under-funded non-marketed game filled with compromises due to budget and time. EA's Might and Magic X. Maybe you get a one-off decent game but it has no future.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Even in a happy scenario where it's a smaller project that isn't pushed on the level of EA's major games, the best case scenario is an under-funded non-marketed game filled with compromises due to budget and time. EA's Might and Magic X. Maybe you get a one-off decent game but it has no future.

EA isn't going to waste time on such projects, they have Investors to appease and answer to.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
They've shown an interest in skunkworks projects recently, like that Dragon Age: Tactics idea that's been floating.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
We look at this map and see Ultima VII .

EA looks at this map and sees The Deep Forest DLC, Minoc DLC, The Bloody Marsh DLC, Dagger Isle DLC, Isle of the Avatar DLC, Skara Brae DLC, The Isle of Deeds DLC...

Yeah, no thanks Ian.

map3_translated.jpg

Last edited:

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
EA isn't going to waste time on such projects, they have Investors to appease and answer to.
I don't see why not. Just make a banalshitboring, no-risks-taken RPG with the Bioware logo, call it Ultima for scheizengiggles, pay off the "journalists" and watch the money flow in.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Can the modern audience recognize the name "Ultima" anymore?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom