Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ubisoft fucks over legit customers... again

Trotsky

Arcane
That's what I found the most weird. The fact that people still buy Ubisoft games. They haven't really released anything worth playing since Chaos Theory (unless I missed something).

Assassins Creed isn't my cup of tea but they've maintained quality overall despite the sequels they've milked from it; but yeah I also stopped buying Ubisoft games ten years ago.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...s-canned-keys-bought-with-stolen-credit-cards

Ubisoft reinstates deactivated keys bought with stolen credit cards
Check your Uplay library.

Ubisoft has reinstated game keys it had deactivated because they had been bought using stolen credit cards - but only if they'd been used by consumers first.

Last month Ubisoft deactivated a number of keys for its games, including Far Cry 4, Assassin's Creed: Unity, The Crew and Watch Dogs, after EA found they'd been bought from Origin using stolen credit cards.

The move angered a number of customers who'd bought the keys from third-party sites such as Kinguin and G2A. They found their games had disappeared from their Uplay account without warning from Ubisoft.

Now, though, Ubisoft has decided to reactivate keys owned by those who had used them.

"After further investigation into the matter of keys that were fraudulently purchased on EA's Origin store, we are reinstating keys for consumers who already had successfully activated and started playing the games," a Ubisoft representative told Eurogamer.

"Any remaining fraudulently obtained and resold keys have been deactivated."

Eurogamer has been contacted by a number of customers affected, who have confirmed their keys have indeed been reinstated.

Last week Kinguin told Eurogamer it believed an unidentified Russian had bought the keys from Origin before selling them on third-party sites.

Kinguin, which acts as an eBay for game keys, told us it would end up refunding £110,000 to affected customers. 35 out of 3400 Kinguin merchants were affected, the company said.

Kinguin also raised the issue of how an individual was able to buy so many keys from Origin without flagging some kind of alert.

Ubisoft said it was working to prevent a similar situation happening in the future, although it's unclear exactly what steps it will take to do so.

"We are working with EA to prevent situations like this from happening again, and we will continue to deactivate keys that are found to be fraudulently obtained and resold," the Ubisoft representative continued.

"We strongly recommend that players purchase keys and downloadable games only from the Uplay shop or trusted retailers."

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
"We strongly recommend that players purchase keys and downloadable games only from the Uplay shop or trusted retailers."

:retarded:

Literally too stupid to live.

Die in a fire you piece of shit company.

pippin

I know next to nothing about how e-transactions work. How can they figure out if the card was stolen? Shoudln't it be blocked or something like that? I'm confused, but it smells like shitty pr tactics. But still, the prospect of people stealing credit cards to play Far Cry 4 is somewhat hilarious.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Someone's CC info was intercepted somewhere, is suddenly used without permission from Russia or someplace until the card is overdrawn/blocked. Generally, the only way to know your card's info is out in the wild is when money starts disappearing from your account.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I'm still surprised that people don't understand why buying from unauthorized retailers is a bad idea. This isn't them trying to push their own store. It's them saying don't buy from dodgy resellers.

Something like this was inevitable and it's also not the first time it happens. At least Ubisoft is returning game keys, which is more than I would have done in their position.

Trotsky

Arcane
Maintained quality?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm aware the last Assassin's Creed game was crap but most were decent and successful.

Assassin's Creed was at least an attempt at something unique whatever its shortcomings.

Ghost Recon 2 I think was the last time I gave Ubisoft money

Rainbow Six was my favorite Ubisoft game but the tactical shooter genre is basically dead.

Not sure if it counts as a "new game" but Prince of Persia HD collection was worth buying.

Last edited:

Grimlorn

Arcane
Weren't there also claims of purchasing keys legitimately through UPlay or another legitimate site and consumers still getting their keys deactivated?

Gord

Arcane
I'm still surprised that people don't understand why buying from unauthorized retailers is a bad idea.

I think the problem is for customers to understand which seller is legit and which isn't. Steam - obviously. The official shops of the publisher, sure. Gamestop, I guess.
But what about sites like e.g. Greenmangaming and the like? At which point does it become shady?

Angthoron

Arcane
Well, my keys from Kinguin and GMG still haven't been revoked, but then I wasn't going for the bottom prices from unreviewed affiliates so there's that.

I'm guessing it's the same shit as Steam's regional blockage, except Ubi sucks at explaining what it is they actually want, as per usual French habit.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Because torrents fund the Al Qaeda and ISIS and kills babies. Or something.

Telengard

Arcane
Weren't there also claims of purchasing keys legitimately through UPlay or another legitimate site and consumers still getting their keys deactivated?
Yes. Ubisoft denies this, though. However, Ubisoft does not have a good track record for this type of situation. They have been caught out calling legitimate purchasers from brick&mortar stores pirates and denying them tech help from all of the way back in their Starforce DRM days. And that was back when people could hold up a box copy and say, "I bought this." So, it would not surprise me in the slightest if their crackdown hurt a bunch of regular purchasers from their own store. It would be par for the course with them.

I think the problem is for customers to understand which seller is legit and which isn't. Steam - obviously. The official shops of the publisher, sure. Gamestop, I guess.
But what about sites like e.g. Greenmangaming and the like? At which point does it become shady?
I'm not advocating one way or the other, but in answer to your question, a legitimate store gets authorization from the company to sell keys from that company and purchases them wholesale. Unaffiliated stores acquire keys from the grey or black market, some of which may be unloaded keys from a defunct store getting rid of inventory, some of which might be from stolen credit cards. Lists of authorized dealers sometimes make the rounds, generally after a crackdown.

Gamersgate, Getgames,Gampestop, and the like are authorized retailers. Greenman Gaming is too, technically, but they have also been accused multiple times of acquiring keys on the grey market.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013

I don't know, I've never really had an issue with spotting the shady ones. The only one I was unsure of was Nuuvem and that's probably only because I don't trust anything that comes out of Brazil.

One thing I have done on occasion is buy from Origin using a Mexican VPN. I got BF4 + Premium for about half the price that way. Apparently the worst they do when they catch you is remove your ability to buy more games. Not like I really buy EA games anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom