Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

UE4 StarWars renders from Obsidian

Repressed Homosexual
It makes no sense, it is no different than those fan remakes of one or two scenes from a famous classic game in full on 3D on a modern engine like Crytek or UE4, like those people did for Sonic the Hedgehog or Zelda. Likewise it is only a vanity project.

Look at how much detail there is on this scene. Just how much would it cost to make a whole game like that?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Look at how much detail there is on this scene. Just how much would it cost to make a whole game like that?

And how much time did they spend already on this? last video is from about 10 months ago....... why would proffesionals be working for 10 months on a 'fan project'.

It must be for their new game.

mitochondritom

Educated
I wonder how a now minus Avellone, Obsidian Star Wars game would turn out though....

It could be alright, iirc I read an interview where Avellone said he didn't actually like Star Wars and that KOTOR II was his critique of the franchise. I imagine a NuObsidian Star Wars game would be more akin a classic Star Wars story, celebrating it rather than deconstructing it. I am of two minds about how Lucasfilm is managing all the expanded universe shite now Disney is at the helm. There is some really good stuff (Rebels) and really awful stuff (Books). Diseny / Lucasfilm seem to be quite lenient on how their expanded universe types run things, but I don't think a KOTOR II-eqsue title would pass. Hell even Rogue One is apparently being edited to be "funny" and more like Star Wars instead of the gritty war movie we all wanted. I still think Obsidian could pull it off, but it wouldn't be KOTOR III, and really after the abortion that is/was SWTOR I wouldn't even want it as Bioware hacks have mangled it all up.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
why would proffesionals be working for 10 months on a 'fan project'.

From the article:

Originally it was just going to be the Falcon sitting in Docking Bay 94 so I could run around and look at it in real-time. Then I thought it would be neat to add the interior to the docking bay, and then maybe some of the surrounding Mos Eisley city, then I thought “hey, let’s put the Mos Eisley Cantina in as well!” It was at this point that I realized the scope of this project had grown beyond my ability to finish it by myself, so I extended an invitation to several of the artists working with me at Obsidian to help out with this project in their free time, and I got many very enthusiastic YES responses, so I divided up the work based on the time and effort commitments that volunteers were willing to put into it.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I wonder why Obsidian games look worse than this project, made by employees in their spare time. Alpha Protocol also used Unreal engine, but it looks like shit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder why Obsidian games look worse than this project, made by employees in their spare time. Alpha Protocol also used Unreal engine, but it looks like shit.

Same reason why early E3 demos look better than the final game.

Also Alpha Protocol is UE3

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
And to think so many indie devs still use the Unity abomination instead of UE :lol:

Infinitron keeps telling me that how the game looks has nothing to do with what engine it uses. In principle, he is right, it is the art direction that matters. But in practice, every Unity game I've seen so far look ugly, and every UE game looks gorgeous.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't know how one could say Shadowrun Returns, Pillars of Eternity, Dex, or I am Setsuna look ugly. There are plenty of brown and bloom drenched UE games; Hatred looks intentionally ugly.

Sentinel

Arcane

And how much time did they spend already on this? last video is from about 10 months ago....... why would proffesionals be working for 10 months on a 'fan project'.

It must be for their new game.
it's obviously practice for Tim Cain and Leo Boyarsky's UE4 project.

Showcase videos by the project lead:

Looks cool.

Looks great.

And to think so many indie devs still use the Unity abomination instead of UE :lol:

But isnt that more down to workload? Unity is more easy of use...

Unity leads to the dark side!
to be fair Unity 5 is perfectly fine.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Because this is made on PC, but later they have to downgrade for consoles

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It is easier to make static gameworld, or things with pre built anination than real game space with the AI running, game mechanics running, amd other calculations done. This is why tech demo will always look better.

Plus AP use UE 3, and tbh, UE 3 is kinda shit

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
No way in hell Obsidian would make another Star Wars game, EA has the license and they've already got similar types of star wars games announced and in development within their own internal studios.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Plus AP use UE 3, and tbh, UE 3 is kinda shit

Resources and art direction. UE3 games released before AP that look significantly better include Mirror's Edge and Arkham Asylum
but UE 3 is shit, especially at texture buffering. even with decent computer (at the time) i still got texture pop-up now and then in ue3 games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom