Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima 7 Alternate Font - And view angle change

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That looks much better. Exult, right?

That is just a rotated picture. That is not an in game shot.

Too bad...

If I remember reading the dev comments correctly, changing the angle to this in Exult is theoretically possible, however the massive processing power required to do that would basically render the entire game unplayable at this current time. Something like that sadly.
this is bullshit

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
I don't get how that whole thing is supposed to work. Aren't the backgrounds pre-rendered/drawn?

Stabwound

Arcane
Between that 45 degree thing and the expanded view in Nuvie it might actually make Ultima 6 and 7 playable. :smug:

Just kidding, but I'm only now playing through the Ultima series and the view of U7 looks pretty nausea-inducing. What I want is U7 in original Ultima Online engine.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I don't get how that whole thing is supposed to work. Aren't the backgrounds pre-rendered/drawn?
It's just a matrix transformation. Look at some objects like the shield or characters; they get distorted because their edges were only meant for the cavalier perspective.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Don't know about any matrix transformation, but that's just an image rotated 45 degrees.

Refixed:
3tCP1.png

Stabwound

Arcane
Damn, it really is just the game with graphical output rotated 45 degrees. For some reason I couldn't wrap my mind around that; I thought everything had to be redrawn.

I'm no programmer, but I'd think that something like this wouldn't be overly difficult to accomplish, would it? Exult already allows for resolutions that show more on screen than original U7, so it would be a case of rendering all on screen world assets at 45 degrees and expanding the black edges to be filled out with more of the game world. Theoretically nothing would have to be redrawn at all, which was one of the arguments I saw against doing this on the Exult forums.

Fake edit: Maybe the issue is that it would break in-game scripts that rely on specific coordinates? Who knows. All I know is that U7 with the isometric Ultima Online-like perspective is sexy as fuck.

RyuRanX

Novice
Don't know about any matrix transformation, but that's just an image rotated 45 degrees.

Refixed:
3tCP1.png

I'm so used to Ultima VII's -135º oblique projection that this image looks extremely confusing. I can't stop thinking the game is running sideways.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Doesn't really matter. It looks fine the way it is. If you want a HD remake, go ask EA for it. I'm sure this man will happily oblige.

pb.jpg
You want the Guardian Trilogy? Umm, ummm... No problem!

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
That looks much better. Exult, right?

That is just a rotated picture. That is not an in game shot.

Too bad...

If I remember reading the dev comments correctly, changing the angle to this in Exult is theoretically possible, however the massive processing power required to do that would basically render the entire game unplayable at this current time. Something like that sadly.
Nah, you are talking about Exult 3D, not the rotated view. The rotated view is something people acknowledge is very doable. There is an ongoing discussion here.

Also, I'm pretty sure you could always replace the font in Exult. In Exult, it stores the font as "Avatar.ttf". You could just replace "Avatar.ttf" with any true type font named "avatar.ttf" and use Arial, if you want. I need to test this, though. Seem to recall setting up Exult on Fedora and doing just this with the font to test it out.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Really, guys, U7 font is easily readable. There are no ligatures, "long s", endings of vertical lines and majuscules are recognizable. Compare it to some real medieval documents.
tinytextura2.JPG

Suchy

Arcane
Damn, it really is just the game with graphical output rotated 45 degrees. For some reason I couldn't wrap my mind around that; I thought everything had to be redrawn.

I'm no programmer, but I'd think that something like this wouldn't be overly difficult to accomplish, would it? Exult already allows for resolutions that show more on screen than original U7, so it would be a case of rendering all on screen world assets at 45 degrees and expanding the black edges to be filled out with more of the game world. Theoretically nothing would have to be redrawn at all, which was one of the arguments I saw against doing this on the Exult forums.

Fake edit: Maybe the issue is that it would break in-game scripts that rely on specific coordinates? Who knows. All I know is that U7 with the isometric Ultima Online-like perspective is sexy as fuck.

It shouldn't influence coordinates, you don't rotate the map, just the screen. But there's still more to it - you need to keep all GUI elements intact.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Is still move and camera panning jerky as fuck? That was my only reason to not play this game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://ultimacodex.com/2012/10/ultima-7-exult-rotate/

I covered this fascinating mod for the latest release of Exult 1.4.9 a while ago. The basic premise of it is that it rotates the field of view 45 degrees clockwise about a vertical axis, giving the game a more classically isometric feel (that might also increase its appeal to Ultima Online veterans). It actually makes Ultima 7 look absolutely phenomenal, I think; I vastly prefer the rotated view to the classic view.

Though still very much in a proof-of-concept state, developer cma opted to release both a standalone executable and a patch for Exult 1.4.9-rc1 so that those curious about the potential of the mod can get an early look thereat. The setup, however, is a bit convoluted. You can find instructions at theproject’s thread on the Exult forums, or here at the new project entry I’ve set up for it on the Ultima 7subdomain.

potatojohn

Arcane
Surely it would be almost free to do with GL?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Like shit probably, considering the npc's only have 4 facings.

bminorkey

I never realized how retarded the original camera angle was until I saw this post.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Like shit probably, considering the npc's only have 4 facings.
NPC's (and the Avatar/crew) only have two facings, the other two are mirrors of each other. (Sorry, I just thought I would post this before someone else did, because that's what people do here.) The avatar looking down is the same as the avatar moving right, just rotated. The avatar moving up is the same as the avatar moving left, only flipped 90 degrees.
I never realized how retarded the original camera angle was until I saw this post.
Yeah, there was that other game from '93 or so with that awesome, overhead, scrolling, 3D engine. It's name eludes me, however. What was it's name... dang... maybe you remember it?

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All of you so-called Ultima fans complaining about the font and camera angle are full of :decline:!! Ultima VII is an AWESOME game just the way it is!! (except maybe using Exult) It doesn't need any newfangled camera angle at all!! :x

Alex

Arcane
All of you so-called Ultima fans complaining about the font and camera angle are full of :decline:!! Ultima VII is an AWESOME game just the way it is!! (except maybe using Exult) It doesn't need any newfangled camera angle at all!! :x

The new camera angle makes me dizzy. It is like everyone is being sucked into the sky or something.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Was the 3D version with the rotating camera ever completed or usable ?

Like with most Ultima Mods... they start out as a dream.... and end up that way too...... Just a dream. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom