Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Ultima 7 - The Black Gate Review

TehGuardian

Novice
Virtual Vice said:
taxalot said:
I do not remember the Fellowship was THAT obvious to be the bad guys. Sure you had hints, but wasn't a fair part of the game spent finding evidence?

It was reasonably obvious or at least it appeared as very very likely from the early game onward.

The biggest problem regarding this in my opinion is that if you read the game manual it was as obvious as it gets.

Replaying it now. It is obvious but it's supposed to be that way. It's like dumbasses who complain that it's not clear why Hamlet is indecisive, or who complain some things are ambiguous. Well, that's the whole motherfucking point.

m_s0

Arcane
Sceptic said:
m_s0 said:
Unless you've never bothered to watch the intro
There's nothing in the intro about the Fellowship is there? There's the Guaridan, an otherworld being of power who taunts the Avatar about invading Britannia, but there's nothing to link him to the Fellowship at first.
a few actors stage a play about The Fellowship just north of Trinsic and, if my memory serves me right, the actors repeat a part of the Guardian's speech. I'll check it as soon as I have a minute, but it should be there

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
m_s0 said:
Sceptic said:
m_s0 said:
There's nothing in the intro about the Fellowship is there? There's the Guaridan, an otherworld being of power who taunts the Avatar about invading Britannia, but there's nothing to link him to the Fellowship at first.
a few actors stage a play about The Fellowship just north of Trinsic and, if my memory serves me right, the actors repeat a part of the Guardian's speech. I'll check it as soon as I have a minute, but it should be there

It is there. I remember about it now. The Guardian is not explicitly mentioned, but there definitely is a "Listen to your inner voice" bit that you hear about all the time. Yeah, they appear dubious. But I do not see how it's worse than other CRPGS. Seriously, I thought the U7 plot was well brought.

Divinity: Original Sin
Sceptic said:
m_s0 said:

Companion, provider and master. These are the words the guardian mention in the intro, and in the play outside trinsic, the actors say those words in their lines, and the play is about the fellowship.

To be honest, I don't feel the objective of the game is to discover who are the villains, but stop them.

Knowing them beforehand is not an issue, because the avatar is the only one who knows about the nature of the fellowship (besides a few other NPCs).

Everybody is in love with the felllowship, and it's great because you are against something that everyone favors, and the avatar is absent for a long time.

Silellak

Cipher
Yeah, I never felt it was supposed to be a mystery that the Fellowship were - on some level - related to the Guardian and up to no good. The real mystery of the game is what exact role the Fellowship is playing in everything that's going down - how many of them are in on it, what their actual plan is, etc. It's especially interesting, I think, because there's no denying that some legitimate good is actually being done by the Fellowship, especially considering the lower-level members have absolutely no idea what the organization's end game is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom