Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima Online Codex Guild

Regvard

Arcane
Is anybody still playing UO?

I probably have always had a copy of UO installed on my machines for the last 13 years. There were times I played religiously and there were times I didn't touch it for years. It probably ruined what could have been a brilliant academic career. Still, had so much fun.

Now, after flirting with the likes of WoW , LOTRO, Galaxies etc. I want to play again. Preferably on a non-popamole, pre-ea, pre-aos, "old school" private server with the "hardcore" ruleset.

I'd like to hear your ideas on servers and maybe some of us could get together and start a Codex guild somewhere.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
The best thing about UO was to use mouse recorder, think of creative ways how to repeat a certain process which would increase a specific skill and leave it for the night. Next morning was like Christmas. I would rush to the computer in hopes to see good results. More often than not I'd be already dead, kicked out or sequence failed 10 minutes after I set it in motion. Occasionally everything worked great and I'd gain 20-30 skillpoints. What a great feeling.

Norfleet

That hasn't changed, new games have this, too, even more so, because they are so grindtastic. This is probably why I actually play those games: Sure, they're Grindtastic, but they're also the kind of Grindtastic that can be performed by a paperweight, so it works out to my advantage anyway.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
I've played UO since "The Second Age" which was I think the first expansion ever if memory serves. In other words, about uhm, 15 years ago? I'm still wistfully remembering those times but unfortunately I have stopped when it 'got stupid', which was uhm.. about the time they added the ninja and samurai to the medieval-Britain like inspired setting. I guess EA figured it had to be. Different races found their way in now too? Hm. I never liked the 3D client, I hope it doesn't FORCE you to use it.

So I mostly play freeshards these days if at all. This game is something I feel should be put to rest and remembered fondly :)

If there's a serious plan though, maybe, perhaps.. There's even some roleplay ones that can be fun. Hit and miss really. And yeah, hardcore :D
Most fun I had was on Siege Perilous where everyone was as pathetic as I was. There was tons of attempted muggings when their paralyze spell would work, but ALL of their damage spells like explosion/energy bolt etc would fizzle until I was free to just walk away again. Good times.

TheNizzo

Educated
UO looks awesome but even back in the early '00s I never got past the point of chopping down trees all day, building hundreds of chairs, and occasionally socializing at the bank while getting my pockets shined and polished by pickpockets.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Yeah, sorry about that. Even dirt-stained gold pieces have this fiendish alluring glint about them. :D

Regvard

Arcane
UO looks awesome but even back in the early '00s I never got past the point of chopping down trees all day, building hundreds of chairs, and occasionally socializing at the bank while getting my pockets shined and polished by pickpockets.

You could have chosen to chop down other players, monsters etc. Could have tried a less crowded city. Could have been a pickpocket yourself. Possibilities are endless.

That being said, most fun I had in UO other than pvp was making my first blacksmith/miner. Took me about a year to GM without overnight macros but it was worth it. I remember putting on a valorite platemail set (quite expensive back in the day) and chasing pks around with 30 swordsmanship. Most of them scattered at the sight of someone with that kind of gear.

Jadeite

Educated
That's why I've never liked skill-based RPGs for online play. Everybody 'macros'. It's not even frowned on. Not my type of game. I liked Shadowbane, which was UO's 'successor' in PvP, but it was level-based. Skill-based games are more fun single-player where if you cheat you're just hurting yourself.

Regvard

Arcane
That's why I've never liked skill-based RPGs for online play. Everybody 'macros'. It's not even frowned on. Not my type of game. I liked Shadowbane, which was UO's 'successor' in PvP, but it was level-based. Skill-based games are more fun single-player where if you cheat you're just hurting yourself.

There are many anti-macro, anti-afk servers.

Although you can create elaborate scripts/macros to do very complex tasks for you such as improving animal taming, most macroed actions are the ones that require you (your character) to stand still and repeatedly click things for a long time. Macros make the game less grindy.

flabbyjack

Arcane

Although you can create elaborate scripts/macros to do very complex tasks for you such as improving animal taming, most macroed actions are the ones that require you (your character) to stand still and repeatedly click things for a long time. Macros make the game less grindy.
I macro'ed provocation/animal taming using the in-game macro system... it just takes setting up a hotkey to FX and a very heavy stapler to hold down the key.

Regvard

Arcane
I macro'ed provocation/animal taming using the in-game macro system... it just takes setting up a hotkey to FX and a very heavy stapler to hold down the key.

That probably was an older build or something. You can't tame/release/tame anymore. You need to move around looking for untamed (by you or someone else) skill appropriate animals.

Jimmy P

Novice
I'm playing on a free server called In Por Ylem, been up for almost two years, there were a LOT of people (2k+) playing at some point but pop has taken a dip in recent months. I'd say there's 100 or so active players and another several hundred waiting for the population to increase again before they come back to play.
Still, it is the best version of UO out there; pre-T2A, open PvP, both stealing and PKing, as well as faction/guild PvP, great staff, no mounts, etc. Very much a classic UO experience, if you are looking for a UO fix in 2012, IPY is your best bet IMO. I have had loads of nostalgic fun there over the last year. Players are friendly and helpful for the most part but it's still UO and I have seen some absolutely classic things go down, complete with low-brow shit talk and drama. Good times.

Macroing is made much easier by a program called Razor (must have, doesn't really cheat, just makes EVERYTHING more convenient) and also by the fact it is totally allowed. There are incentives for gaining skills organically but mostly people macro. UO grind was boring enough back in '99.

They are starting a Zombie apocalypse version for halloween (for which I will try to create another thread)
www.inporylem.com

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So for what this is worth I have just taken a subscription to Ultima Online. Which means in 2016 I am paying to play on the official servers, which is clearly a sure sign I am losing my mind.

The game now has two clients. It had two clients for a while, but the old Third Dawn client I remember from the last time I played was canned. There is now an enhanced client and the old classic one which are both the same in features and options. Except the enhanced client looks a lot better, retains the same graphic style (while the art assets are different), and doesn't crash half as much (Classic goes dead as soon as I alt tab, and doesn't support Widescreen in a game where you want widescreen because the interface is an absolute mess).

For some reason, the community seems to disagree with me and claim the old client is vastly superior for reasons I cannot really fathom. I guess if you played with an interface for 20 years, you really do not want it to change (I have noticed that at work with people complaining that apps in command line interface that have been used sinces the 80s are better than their modern counterpart). While most often the old shit is better than the new shit, the interface improvements of the new client alone make the transition better. It probably doesn't run on some dudes Cyrix 166+ though.

As for the game itself, well, it is great and terrible for various reasons.

It is terrible because the game has something like fifteen servers and most of these are perfectly empty. Why they are not merging servers is something I cannot for the life of me explain. Finding another player is a rare occurence, even on Atlantic which is supposed to be the most crowded one. The enormous game world clearly doesn't help for that matter, although it is still fun to explore.
Gameplay wise, let's just say that Ultima Online is a totally different beast than World of Warcraft which I have also been playing lately. UO definitely took some cues from its Blizzard competitor (or are they even in competition right now ?). There is a tutorial area filled with NPCs giving you stupid quests (train your skill up to 50 ! Kill ten rats!), and in the other towns there are other quests that feel more connected to the storyline but also seem completely pointless.

Still, though, the main appeal of the game remains : contrary to other games even MMOs, Ultima Online mostly remains an objective-less game. You are dropped in the game world and pretty much can do whatever you want without anyone telling you not to go there or to please complete this mission. The game is not level based, and instead still is skill based. Being a tamer is still an option. Being a lumberjack is still an option. Killing stuff in dungeons in search for mad loot is still an option.

But at no point ever this will result in a popup window, a cutscene, or a dialog, telling you you are on the right track. If you are lucky, the skill check worked, and it resulted in doing what you wanted to do and also a skill increase. And you can sell the result of your work to buy better equipment, or buy a house. And that is about it.

In those words, Ultima Online's closest competitor or game that is the most similar isn't another MMO. It's simply Minecraft, which seems to focus a lot of hate from the Ultima Online community for another reason I cannot seem to understand.

Mustawd

In those words, Ultima Online's closest competitor or game that is the most similar isn't another MMO. It's simply Minecraft

Err...what about Wurm Online?

or some reason, the community seems to disagree with me and claim the old client is vastly superior for reasons I cannot really fathom. I guess if you played with an interface for 20 years, you really do not want it to change (I have noticed that at work with people complaining that apps in command line interface that have been used sinces the 80s are better than their modern counterpart).

this. Of course. Fuck anything new. Give me old shit all day.

CODEX GUILD FUCKING WHEN?????

He's also forgetting even if an MMORPG isn't skill-based, players still grind. I played Shadowbane for many years and even played recently on a player-run server, and I can tell you players grinding camps is as common place as it ever was to macro in UO. The problem wasn't the skill-based system, it was instead how skills are gained. For example, to gain in a crafting skill you have to repeatedly click the same things. For GM, you have to do that for hundreds of hours. Since it's so absurdly repetitive, it's easy to macro. Combat, by comparison, is more difficult to macro. It CAN be done, but it's also easier to interrupt since PvP can occur. It's all about how easy it's to macro something and whether other players can interrupt it. Another factor is as you say, whether the server admins are anti-macro or not? Will they be serious about it?

I think the harder it's to macro something, it also tends to be more enjoyable to play without it.

EDIT: I see you basically addressed my point. The problem is how easy it's to macro something and the server policy.

Mustawd

I never used macros and still thoroughly enjoyed crafting. Not because I didn't see the benefit, but I was fucking lazy about it.

UO is pure nostalgia for me. Pure and delicious nostalgia.

I never used macros and still thoroughly enjoyed crafting. Not because I didn't see the benefit, but I was fucking lazy about it.

UO is pure nostalgia for me. Pure and delicious nostalgia.
Well I've always programmed--since I was 16 or 17--so that probably explains why I took it up quickly--esp for crafting. Evenso, macros aren't exactly hard to make. Did you ever at least try to do it?

I never macroed lumberjacking because it would have been more involved--need to store the position of trees. I just did the simple stuff. Macroing the dummies--to get your first points in combat-related skills/stats--comes to mind.

EDIT: Also want to add I did some crafting in Everquest. A lot of it would have been macro-friendly. Why didn't I macro? I was never aware of any macro programs available and also it would have been a bannable offense. I don't do illegal things in a game. I also don't derive enjoyment from hacking. EQ, btw, is level-based. This is regarding the poster I responded to in my prior post--not you Mustawd.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom