Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ultima Ratio Regum - detective roguelike with philosophical themes

No, not THAT Ultima.

This game has been mentioned in passing in the rogue-like section here, but it deserves its own thread. The vast majority of video games are fairly derivative. They take an already existing video game or genre, and do their own take on it, perhaps introduce some new mechanics if we are lucky. But every once in a while, a completely new game will come along and chart out new territory. This is one such game.

http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/

Similar to Dwarf Fortress in certain ways, it defies simple categorization. I won't even attempt to describe it and simply quote from the website above:

"It’s a game which aims to integrate thematic content on historiography, philosophical idealism and the rise of modernist grand narratives, with the deep, complex and challenging gameplay one expects from a “classic” roguelike (and, of course, an ANSI display and permadeath). Set approximately around the Scientific Revolution, the player is tasked with discovering a conspiracy via identifying procedurally-generated clues hidden throughout the world’s cultures, religions and societies; the game features extensive procedural generation of everything from tombs and religious altars to (in the future) paintings and sculptures, any or all of which may contain the clues required in a given playthrough."

So essentially, a procedural detective rogue-like with philosophical overtones. Say what?

It is a 10 year project for a British PhD student, or their version of Tarn Adams. However, if you read about his ideas and plans for the game on that website, a lot of it is really fascinating stuff. Just the kind of thing gaming really needs. While most devs argue about simple combat mechanics and other low level things, this guy is exploring the potential in procedural generation to come up with truly amazing content. The website is also full of his ideas about gaming in general and is a good read.

Casual Hero

Augur
There is a reasonable chance that v .8 will release tomorrow!

NIGGER WHAT?!? Holy shit I thought this game was dead as a doornail, hell I thought the developer had died!
So we have a release date now; it is coming out on the 26th or 27th.
This will probably be the last update- at least for the foreseeable future, but the game will finally have some substance to play around with. :)

Casual Hero

Augur
Well, my friends – I think we’re done.

URR works on at least seven different Windows 10 systems without crashing and without triggering virus warnings upon download; the memory leakage issue and the saving/loading issues you’ll remember from a few weeks ago are all fixed; and more bugs have been dealt with in the interim.

So: unless some heinous issue(s) arise, my plan is to release next weekend (26th / 27th).
Well, we have an official release date; after some 2 years of development, version 0.8 of Ultima Ratio Regum will be released next weekend!

I'm going to post my first impressions and gameplay here once it drops, but until then we have some time to get acquainted with the game's concept.

What is URR? (From the website):
Ultima Ratio Regum is a game which aims to integrate thematic content on historiography, philosophical idealism and the rise of modernist grand narratives, with the deep, complex and challenging gameplay one expects from a "classic" roguelike (and, of course, an ANSI display and permadeath). Set approximately around the Scientific Revolution, the player is tasked with discovering a conspiracy via identifying procedurally-generated clues hidden throughout the world's cultures, religions and societies; the game features extensive procedural generation of everything from tombs and religious altars to (in the future) paintings and sculptures, any or all of which may contain the clues required in a given playthrough.

Sounds interesting, right? I think so, at least. The dev claims that (while there will be combat) the focus of the game will be on solving procedurally generated puzzles and exploring deeply layered cultures and societies that arise organically from the simulation.

Definitely an ambitious project- and all made by a single dev! Ahh, a familiar tale around these parts.

Now, why are we anticipating the release of v 0.8 in particular? Well, until further notice, this is going to be the last update the game receives; it turns out that a project with such a large scope is dangerously prone to burning out the creator. :/
That said, this is going to be a sizeable update and should bring the game up to a playable state. The full changelog will be posted here when the game releases (taken from the dev's blog: https://www.markrjohnsongames.com/blog/)

Prepare yourselves!

Some pictures:
Parl1.png

Tomb22.png

URrnew.png

Casual Hero

Augur
I have no idea whether this is the last version or not, but it’s done.

After 5 years, it's here!

Main features:

• Procedural generation of potentially millions of possible NPCs in all settlements within the game.
  • Several dozen different NPC types, each with their own schedules which play out alongside the player’s actions.
  • Face generation with significant variation for genetics and culture.
  • Detailed conversation system, with several hundred potential lines of enquiry, and answers / detail of answers / willingness to answer determined by a range of social and personal factors, leading to millions of possible conversations.
  • Procedural clothing generation for almost all possible items of clothing, differences in clothing between cultures, and also major differences in clothing between culture types (feudal, nomadic, tribal, etc), and unique clothing styles for religions.
  • A large number of general optimisations, improvements, new visuals for various things, and so forth.

https://www.markrjohnsongames.com/games/ultima-ratio-regum/

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Several crashes for me pretty quickly, might wait a bit for him to iron it out a little more

Casual Hero

Augur
This doesn't seem to be an isolated case; lots of people are getting crashes at the moment.
My computer flagged it as a virus, still :cry:

BlackGoat

Arbiter
This poor dude. Reading his devlog gives me second hand anxiety

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom