Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima Ultima VII help

Divinity: Original Sin
Sure, or he can start from U5 Lazarus and U6 Project. Or whatever. Gotta start from somewhere.

I think the problem may be that he's exploring exhaustively, like you would in a Black Isle-style RPG. In games like this, you're not expected to explore literally every inch of the world. It's more like an Elder Scrolls game (and indeed Todd Howard was heavily inspired by U7)

He said that, but he couldn't translate that inspiration into a game... since he did it all wrong...

deamento

Scholar
Sure, or he can start from U5 Lazarus and U6 Project. Or whatever. Gotta start from somewhere.

I think the problem may be that he's exploring exhaustively, like you would in a Black Isle-style RPG. In games like this, you're not expected to explore literally every inch of the world. It's more like an Elder Scrolls game (and indeed Todd Howard was heavily inspired by U7)
10 points to 12987
i spent 5 minutes trying to make a parrot cough up info about a treasure he mentioned >_<

deamento

Scholar
Hey, 16474, did you manage to leave trinsic at all? you said you explored just one town... since you start inside a walled town and have to get a password to leave... To be honest, you should play 7, Underworld 2 and then 7 part 2. Underworld 2 is a spinoff, but since it is set just after the ending of ultima 7, it's nice to revisit the characters from part 7.
nope, as i said, i spent too much time talking to parrots :obviously:

Hey, 16474, did you manage to leave trinsic at all? you said you explored just one town... since you start inside a walled town and have to get a password to leave... To be honest, you should play 7, Underworld 2 and then 7 part 2. Underworld 2 is a spinoff, but since it is set just after the ending of ultima 7, it's nice to revisit the characters from part 7.
nope, as i said, i spent too much time talking to parrots :obviously:

Leave the city... there's an open world out there filled with opportunities, quests, surprises, jobs, loot and breads to be made...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Trinsic is the suck.

But if you did get the parrot to talk it was all worth it- did you figure it out?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
polly wants a cracker sucka, only you ain't got one - one hundred percent ebony brother avatar i hope - are you going to to let a bird disrespect you nigga? You better crack this cracker.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
He is a child. We must have patience, fellow disciple of the Ordo Tertiensis. He hails from a time where walkthroughs and guides are considered acceptable to consult.
However, we warn you starkly, dear child- turn away from such false idols! The FAQ, the guide, the hintbook- these are all temptations laid before you by the Evil One. Turn away from such wickedness and your enjoyment shall be pure and multiplied manifold and perhaps, one day, you will take your place among us ancient sages of CRPG lore.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
But will he accept the challenge to use your own mind to think and reason and discover things on his own? From his previous posts, sadly not.

deamento

Scholar
Please tell me you aren't using a walk through deamento
Ofcourse not, the only time i might use a walktrough is if the game forces me.
like in Might and magic 1, i took a portal a leprechaun offered me to another city (i had never been to the overworld by then) so i used some maps to get back to the first city because it was impossible for me to ever find my way with my level 2 party without breaking my computer screen in half

deamento

Scholar
But will he accept the challenge to use your own mind to think and reason and discover things on his own? From his previous posts, sadly not.
i only resort to walktroughs if i have either stopped caring or if the game forces me (example in a previous post)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I know this sounds odd coming from an almost 27-year old but...

Back in my days if we got stuck or couldn't figure something out we'd just do something else and the answer would come to us while sleeping or reading or walking... I solved the most obtuse adventure game puzzles like that...

In ultima underworld 2, there's a ritual that requires that you throw a basilisk oil on the watery mud. I had tried everything I had on the lake. Potions, the snake statue the goblins gave me, since it was the closest thing to a basilisk in the game. I remember checking in dicitionary's what the hell was a basilisk. This was 1996. Only after checking on walkthrough years later (1999, I believe) I realized that the fucking thing was a useless "colourless potion", that I couldn't identify for whatever reason.

deamento

Scholar
I know this sounds odd coming from an almost 27-year old but...

Back in my days if we got stuck or couldn't figure something out we'd just do something else and the answer would come to us while sleeping or reading or walking... I solved the most obtuse adventure game puzzles like that...
problem is that i don't remember dreams and i have too little time right now to spend days on a puzzle, i have 2 - 3 hours a day that i can actually play games.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What are they doing to 15 year old's nowadays? Tell me that time is occupied by 'study groups' debauched secret orgies.

deamento

Scholar
What are they doing to 15 year old's nowadays? Tell me that time is occupied by 'study groups' debauched secret orgies.
i'll tell you what i need to do trough the day
5:30 wake up to catch the bus
8:30 - 16: 30 school
16:30 - 19:30 bus
19:30 - 21:30 study
21:30 - 23:00 games
basicly my parents are assholes that force me to go to a school that is 2 hours away from where i live.
usually i don't even have time to go out

deamento

Scholar
also, people of my age are too fuckign stupid to do anything as clever as using a study group as a disguise for fucking >_<

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
basicly my parents are assholes that force me to go to a school that is 2 hours away from where i live.
Seriously, just read some books then during the school year and save some old school RPG/adventure game puzzles for the holidays.

All of U7 is boring with a walkthrough, including part 2.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
like in Might and magic 1, i took a portal a leprechaun offered me to another city (i had never been to the overworld by then) so i used some maps to get back to the first city because it was impossible for me to ever find my way with my level 2 party without breaking my computer screen in half

But it didn't force you to use a walkthrough. That was your own fucking stupidity for accepting the portal offer. Should have manned up and restarted the game since you were beginner fodder anyway.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012

But it didn't force you to use a walkthrough. That was your own fucking stupidity for accepting the portal offer. Should have manned up and restarted the game since you were beginner fodder anyway.

Restarting or reloading is for pussies. You man up and fight through. If you die, that's it, game over, you uninstall the game and throw it away. Faggot.

Gord

Arcane
After all, we aren't playing games for fun, are we?

deamento

Scholar
Seriously, just read some books then during the school year and save some old school RPG/adventure game puzzles for the holidays.

All of U7 is boring with a walkthrough, including part 2.
not an option, i have a huge list of games i need to get trough and the holidays are not enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom