Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima Ultima VII help

deamento

Scholar
Please tell me you aren't using a walk through deamento
Ofcourse not, the only time i might use a walktrough is if the game forces me.
like in Might and magic 1, i took a portal a leprechaun offered me to another city (i had never been to the overworld by then) so i used some maps to get back to the first city because it was impossible for me to ever find my way with my level 2 party without breaking my computer screen in half

But it didn't force you to use a walkthrough. That was your own fucking stupidity for accepting the portal offer. Should have manned up and restarted the game since you were beginner fodder anyway.
I figured there was another portal in that city, and even then i didn't use a walktrough.
I just used some maps online to find my way back because i've been drawing my maps like i was supposed to.

Gord

Arcane
What the fuck are you supposed to do against traps?

I'm in one of the dungeons, and there are a lot of traps, e.g. a teleporter that teleports me onto a trigger for a fireball-machine-gun trap (TPK in 3 seconds if you don't run fast).
Yet, Detect Traps spell doesn't seem to do anything, and neither does Destroy Traps.

So, what? Is it not implemented in Exult yet or are you simply supposed to do trial and error there?

Gord

Arcane
Go to the various mages that sell spells. There is spell that will help with them.

There are other spells than Detect Trap and Destroy Trap?
Because the former is doing nothing at all and the latter is hardly useful if you don't know where the trap is supposed to be.

I have the dispel field spell of course, which helps against some traps (well, x-field traps), but not all, I think.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Destroy trap only works on poison and sleep clouds i think. Fireball traps can't be disarmed.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Dispel Field gets rid of the Poison and Sleep fields. Casting Detect Traps: Cast it and IF there is a Trap on the screen it will have a magical "glow" around it for a few seconds. So look at the screen carefully when you cast Detect Traps. There is nothing that can stop teleporter traps. You have to avoid them.

If a Dungeon seems to difficult, come back to it later. There are some higher levels spells that can come in handy (If you are in the Dungeon I think you are in).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't know. I always suggest VII-2.

But... that's what I suggested five years or so ago. Nowadays I don't think this series lends itself to being explored for the first time as much as it used to, since we're too used to modern gameplay conveniences and sort of lost our ability to explore places for exploration's sake.

If you don't like playing VII-2 you can try this well-made and humorous screenshot LP: http://lparchive.org/Ultima-VII-Part-2-Serpent-Isle/
On the same website you can find LPs by the same person for 4, 5, 6 and VII.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Most games now-a-days do need a walkthrough because designers suck.

Back in early 93 when I first played U7...it was magic.

Later that year or the next after I had won U7, I learned of the Cheat/Hack Mover thing on *P.

It was all downhill from there.

Zep--
or was it P*....so long ago.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Honestly, cheating in U7 is really, really fun. As a kid I built my own house with hackmover. And it's extremely cool to see that every spot on the map is a spot you can go to. Not to mention finding the hidden debug rooms...

deamento

Scholar
I don't know. I always suggest VII-2.

But... that's what I suggested five years or so ago. Nowadays I don't think this series lends itself to being explored for the first time as much as it used to, since we're too used to modern gameplay conveniences and sort of lost our ability to explore places for exploration's sake.
i meant for the story, you guys seem to be hinting at a VII being a continuation of a pervious game...

Gord

Arcane
Dispel Field gets rid of the Poison and Sleep fields. Casting Detect Traps: Cast it and IF there is a Trap on the screen it will have a magical "glow" around it for a few seconds. So look at the screen carefully when you cast Detect Traps. There is nothing that can stop teleporter traps. You have to avoid them.

If a Dungeon seems to difficult, come back to it later. There are some higher levels spells that can come in handy (If you are in the Dungeon I think you are in).

Hm, I will try again. Although so far Detect Trap never had any effect. Maybe it's an Exult thing?
Whatever's the reason, casting it doesn't do anything to a trap, even when I'm standing right in front of it. Apparently I always have to walk into it to make them appear, and by then it's too late.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Huh? Well, all the Ultima games are sort of a continuation. But it's not like you'll miss anything important... VII is the start of a new story that goes from 7 to 9. I'd just play VII-2, the best one.

It doesn't matter which one you start with, story-wise, since all of them up to VII-2 come with gigantic manuals explaining everything.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Honestly, cheating in U7 is really, really fun. As a kid I built my own house with hackmover. And it's extremely cool to see that every spot on the map is a spot you can go to. Not to mention finding the hidden debug rooms...

Only certain things would stick after a save though, was fun to discover what would stay moved and what would disappear after reloading a save.

I too built a lot of custom houses in U7! :)

And even for back then..it had simple ?physics?, where you could stack shit one on another (with or without hackmover..mostly)

Zep--

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Although so far Detect Trap never had any effect. Maybe it's an Exult thing?

Nope, it works exactly like the original and works correctly.

Some of the shooting fireballs are NOT traps, and you must find a way to deal with them.....

Jasede

Arcane
Patron

Only certain things would stick after a save though, was fun to discover what would stay moved and what would disappear after reloading a save.

I too built a lot of custom houses in U7! :)

And even for back then..it had simple ?physics?, where you could stack shit one on another (with or without hackmover..mostly)

Zep--
Honestly, as a kid that was soooo much fun.

deamento

Scholar
Huh? Well, all the Ultima games are sort of a continuation. But it's not like you'll miss anything important... VII is the start of a new story that goes from 7 to 9. I'd just play VII-2, the best one.

It doesn't matter which one you start with, story-wise, since all of them up to VII-2 come with gigantic manuals explaining everything.
i'll try a bit more of VII (as i said before) and if i like it i'll complete it, if i don't i'll do VII-2, what about VIII andIX?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

i'll try a bit more of VII (as i said before) and if i like it i'll complete it, if i don't i'll do VII-2, what about VIII andIX?

Those suck, don't play them unless you don't have something better to play (which you do)

Gord

Arcane
Nope, it works exactly like the original and works correctly.

Some of the shooting fireballs are NOT traps, and you must find a way to deal with them.....

Strange. Well, I will check again next time I encounter a trap, but as I said, I'm quite sure that detect trap did not detect any traps for me so far.
Or do I missunderstand what constitutes a trap?
Do the invisible xy-fields that only show up when I walk into them and that have to be dispelled with dispel field fall into the trap category at all (I mean before I trigger them)?

About the fireballs: That one switch in the dungeon close to Britain (won't spoil the position here) that's apparently supposed to disable the fireball trap (I looked that up eventually) in front of a door that leads deeper into the dungeon doesn't do anything for me either.

deamento

Scholar

Those suck, don't play them unless you don't have something better to play (which you do)
i have about 36 games on my list of 'games i really need to play but i don't because i'm procrastinating too much on the internet'

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
The thing that really, REALLY, REALLY SUCKED about 8 was the fucking knock-down. Other than that, I enjoyed it as I recall.

Zep--

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom