Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultimate General: Civil War

Luka-boy

Arcane
https://www.ultimategeneral.com/ultimate-general-civil-war/

https://af.gog.com/game/ultimate_general_civil_war?as=1649904300

Darth is at it again. This time, they're making a game covering the entire civil war using the Gettysburg battle engine plus a campaign mode that partially reminds me of the one from Civil War Generals 2.

Ultimate General: Civil War is a tactical wargame,
immersing players into the bloodiest period of U.S. history,
the American Civil War 1861-1865.
Choose your side, build your army and progress
through multiple historical and speculative battles.
This war must have only one winner... you!

Soon available
Ultimate General: Civil War is going to be released in Steam Early Access and in all basic aspects will be fully playable. The game is still under development so it's expected to have some unfinished features.
LINK TO STEAM STORE

Main Features
Full campaign
Fight in the American Civil War campaign and participate in 50+ battles, from small engagements to massive battles that can last several days over hundreds of square miles of terrain. Campaign fully depends on player actions and battle results. Historical battles can be also played separately.

Early access edition includes the following battles in the campaign:

• Battle of Aquia Creek
  • Battle of Philippi
  • 1st Battle of Bull Run
  • Battle of Shiloh
  • Battle of Gaines' Mill
  • Battle of Malvern Hill
  • 2nd Battle of Bull Run
  • Battle of Antietam
  • + 10 minor engagements different for each side
The following battles will be added when the game is fully ready in a couple of months:

• Battle of Fredericksburg
  • Battle of Stones River
  • Battle of Chancellorsville
  • Battle of Gettysburg
  • Battle of Chickamauga
  • Battle of Cold Harbor
  • Battle of Richmond
  • Battle of Washington
  • + 13 minor engagements different for each side
Ultimate+General+Civil+War+2016-11-10+16-14-54-74.png

Ultimate+General+Civil+War+2016-11-10+15-52-28-32.png

cs_dep_correct.png

us.png

Army management
You are the general. You have full control over the army composition. Based on your successes and reputation you might get access to more corps, divisions and brigades. Keep your soldiers alive and they will learn to fight better, turning from green rookies to crack veterans. Lose a lot of your soldiers and you might not have enough reinforcements to deliver victories. Your reputation will suffer, army morale will drop and you will be forced to resign.

Officer progression
Historical unit commanders progress and become better fighters together with the player. The Officers rank up based on their units’ performance, but its war and they can be wounded or even get killed in action. New ranks open new possibilities and allow officers to lead bigger units without efficiency loss. Winning battles also opens new possibilities for you as a general, increasing skills such as reconnaissance or political influence.

Historical weapons
There is huge variety of Civil War weaponry, from mass produced Enfield pattern rifles to rare Whitworths. Historical availability has also been implemented. Certain weapons can only be captured by raiding supplies or taken from the enemy on the battlefield.

cs_camp.png

Ultimate+General+Civil+War+2016-11-10+16-15-59-51.png

Ultimate+General+Civil+War+2016-11-10+16-16-58-14.png

Ultimate+General+Civil+War+2016-11-10+16-16-28-12.png

Ultimate+General+Civil+War+2016-11-10+16-16-30-36.png

Innovative command system
You decide which level of control you want. Command every unit individually or just give them a main goal with one button click and watch if they can take that hill. Army divisions commanders can make decisions on their own and help you control the largest army. Draw a defensive line and allocated brigades will defend it like lions. Or design a deep flanking maneuver by just drawing an arrow and send the whole army to the enemy flank or the rear. Your generals will try to fulfill your orders, although "no plan survives contact with the enemy".

Enhanced unit control
Detach skirmishers to send them to scout those hills ahead. Or merge several brigades into one bigger division, if it’s needed. Dismount the cavalry to become less visible to the enemy or mount for fast flanking charges and supply raids. Supplies are extremely important and you have to plan and defend the provisions otherwise the battle might end for you early.

Advanced Artificial Intelligence
You will face a strong enemy. AI will flank you, will hit your weak spots and undefended high ground, will chase and cut your supplies and will try to destroy unguarded artillery batteries. AI will use terrain and will take cover and retreat if overwhelmed.

UGCW_12.png

UGCW_13.png

UGCW_14.png

UGCW_15.png

UGCW_1.png

UGCW_2.png

UGCW_3.png

UGCW_4.png

UGCW_5.jpg

UGCW_6.png

UGCW_7.png

UGCW_8.png

UGCW_9.png

UGCW_10.png

UGCW_11.png

Terrain matters
Trenches, lines, fences, houses, fields – everything can help to achieve victory, if you know how to use it. Hills will allow you to see enemy units earlier. Rivers and bridges can become natural obstacles that will help you to defend. Forests can help you hide your movements and flank the enemy.

Beautiful maps
We believe that modern technology allows hardcore war-games to finally stop being brown on green hexes. Hardcore, deep war games can be beautiful. In our game, every historical battle landscape is accurately hand-drawn, utilizing data from satellite and historical maps. The topography plays immense strategic role and helps to understand how battles were fought and to learn history.

Last edited by a moderator:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Interesting, but definitely not worth it if they don't fix the AI, balance, and pacing.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Will look for this one, wasn't interested at the previous game because it had only loose battles.

Unwanted
Queued Shitposter
Tried the original game right now. For some reason I thought this was supposed to aim at realistic representation...
500 men charge and overrun gun positions! 180 gunnies are retreating while the engine calculates the marginal fucking losses, like 30 men... I dont know, even in gaymeefied multiplayer this scenario feels completely wrong.
Trying to control formation with that movement system is a horrible, same goes for trying to find a hole for your guns to shoot.
AI is ..well.
This whole experience feels like sandbox godgame (for a tablet...) where you watch what happens when you suggest your underlings what to do.
No thank you, gaym.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I enjoyed the original game, but its main issue was how horribly difficult it was to position your guns properly due to lack of visual feedback on what exactly influences their visibility. Putting them on a hill with no trees around apparently isn't enough.

The screenshots look like the maps are now a little more clear on terrain than the first game was. That is the main issue that has to be fixed.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Oooh.
Now you have to supply your units with wagons during battle.
That might be an interesting mechanic.

Last edited:

LizardWizard

Cipher
Apparently enemy strength scales with your upgrades :rpgcodex:

So I'm wondering what the actual point to campaign mode is.

anus_pounder

Arcane
If the steam forums are to be taken at face value, theres apparently some sort of rubber-banding element in place that makes it so the amount of enemies you face in the campaign are either slightly bigger or slightly smaller than your forces, at the biggest difference.

Cynicus

Augur
Bit of an unrelated question, but does anyone know why SM's Gettysburg is not available through digital distribution?

Processors are too fast for it now. I loaded it up a couple of years ago, and it ran OK, but map scrolling was so fast that it was unplayable. I tried choking the crap out of the CPU with CPUKiller, but it wasn't enough.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
If the steam forums are to be taken at face value, theres apparently some sort of rubber-banding element in place that makes it so the amount of enemies you face in the campaign are either slightly bigger or slightly smaller than your forces, at the biggest difference.

Looks like they hotfixed it today

Beowulf

Arcane
They are playing safe with the market. That's all good for a new studio pushing its franchise, but they really should go into napoleonic warfare with this engine.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
They are playing safe with the market. That's all good for a new studio pushing its franchise, but they really should go into napoleonic warfare with this engine.

Maybe with third game

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
That depends how current engine handles melee.

Has anyone here played this?
How it compares to the first one?
I heard that they changed controls from "draw a path" to "click to go here" and I'm kinda afraid that it will make flanking more micro heavy.

How is pacing? Too quick or something else?

Higher Animal

Arcane
I don't like the manpower imbalance not affecting damage per shot. Leagues of 2.5k union regiments pouring fire into confederate regiments seem to have the same effect as the Rebel's 400 manpower strong regiments. This is a major dealbreaker for immersion.

It was also a mistake to put meta strategic/role playing elements into the simulator. They do little to add to the experience besides imbalance it. If it had 4x strategy depth it would be a different story.

CritiestBunny

Critical Forge
Developer

I heard that they changed controls from "draw a path" to "click to go here" and I'm kinda afraid that it will make flanking more micro heavy.

Yea I pretty much bought this game as soon as I saw the WAB on it. Loved the first, still love this.

The controls are pretty much the same, being able to click in addition to the draw a path is nice and helps with microing in tight spots.

I love the new additions in the campaign mode that lets you rename and customize your regiments' weapons. Having to choose to replace your troops after each battle with recruits or vets and choosing "side missions" for cash really made me more invested in the game.

High Animal's point is right.. I've had fully replenished 2k veteran regiments pushed out by a smaller unit - maybe not quite 2.5k to 400, but it does feel weird. But overall, I absolutely love the met strategic elements of the game. really makes you feel like you're taking your army through the civil war.

anus_pounder

Arcane

Yea I pretty much bought this game as soon as I saw the WAB on it. Loved the first, still love this.

The controls are pretty much the same, being able to click in addition to the draw a path is nice and helps with microing in tight spots.

I love the new additions in the campaign mode that lets you rename and customize your regiments' weapons. Having to choose to replace your troops after each battle with recruits or vets and choosing "side missions" for cash really made me more invested in the game.

High Animal's point is right.. I've had fully replenished 2k veteran regiments pushed out by a smaller unit - maybe not quite 2.5k to 400, but it does feel weird. But overall, I absolutely love the met strategic elements of the game. really makes you feel like you're taking your army through the civil war.

How's the rubberbanding in the campaign so far? Apparently it was so bad in the early days it didn't matter what you did, the AI would always outnumber you or match you no matter what.

CritiestBunny

Critical Forge
Developer
How's the rubberbanding in the campaign so far? Apparently it was so bad in the early days it didn't matter what you did, the AI would always outnumber you or match you no matter what.

I'm only 5 missions in (doing all the side quests for moneees) and it always felt like a decent challenge but I never felt completely outnumbered. But then again I do play really conservatively and I spend a ton of money on equipment, so my army is always small but well equipped. I'm playing on Brig General, don't know how it is on hard.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/patch-v090-transforming-the-campaign
Dear Generals,

The war is continuing and all your reports have been acknowledged. We are now proud to announce a new campaign feature that aims to completely resolve the unfavorable AI scaling.

The AI could become overpowered because there was no way to inflict army attrition to your opponent. Now the AI opponent has dynamic manpower, training and weapons and you are able to affect those directly when you inflict enemy casualties in battle. The army size represents the strength of AI armies that directly oppose you. The AI will use soldiers from this pool in the battles. If the strength gets reduced to a critically low level, you are going to notice that the AI will not have enough power to outnumber or outgun you.

Consequently, as the war progresses, your successes have much more significant impact on your AI opponent. Fail to gain the advantage and you will see the opposite picture. All in all, the campaign should now feel more dynamic and natural and due to various random events, that are revealed to you in form of urgent messages or captured correspondence from your Intelligence service, each campaign play session can turn out much differently, depending on situations and difficulty level.

Except from this brand new campaign system, we addressed several issues that you have reported with your valuable feedback. Here is the content of this patch, in a brief summary.

Ultimate General: Civil War v0.90 rev19761
New
  • Major new feature adding dynamic Manpower and resources for the AI opponent. The new "Intelligence Service" window shown on the map indicates the AI's army size, training and weapon level. The "Report" button reveals intercepted or urgent messages that inform about enemy reinforcements or when AI receives more weapons and training. The difficulty levels have been revamped from the ground up to offer challenge but also many more chances to win your AI opponent by attrition, as it was able to do for you previously.

Note: Due to all the fixes made based on your feedback, regarding the overpowered AI opponent and the new manpower system, the "Fixed Size" of the Easy mode has been removed, as it is now obsolete.
*Disclaimer: Image shows beta content*The new "Intelligence Service" Tab appears on the upper right corner of campaign map and reveals info about your AI opponent

" data-lightbox-theme="dark">

*Disclaimer: Image shows beta content*The new "Intelligence Service" Tab appears on the upper right corner of campaign map and reveals info about your AI opponent

AI
  • Minor improvements so that AI flanks more and has better territorial perception. The new changes affect and improve overall the AI and its charging decisions.
Balances
  • Flanking fire has more impact rewarding more the effective tactics.
  • Melee strength has been increased slightly about +10% compensating for the collision box fixes mentioned below.
  • Increased availability of several infantry weapons and few cannons for the Union, to make Armory shortages less probable.
  • Added Supply Wagons for Union army in Battle of Washington.
  • Reduced flanking penalty for some fence types of fortifications that were rather weak.
  • Units will surrender sooner if fully surrounded by enemies.
*Disclaimer: Image shows beta content* Captured messages or Direct Reports from your Intelligence Service show when AI receives more reinforcements, special training or sophisticated weapons

" data-lightbox-theme="dark">

*Disclaimer: Image shows beta content* Captured messages or Direct Reports from your Intelligence Service show when AI receives more reinforcements, special training or sophisticated weapons

Fixes
  • Fixed collision boxes problems that could cause the following issues: Units firing behind obstacles, melee damage to become zero and cause "sticking" with enemies, targeting problems in tall forts, AI inconsistencies.
  • Fixed bug that cancelled move orders at mission switch.
  • Fixed bug that could cause retreat in wrong direction.
  • Fixed wide camera's problem that was hiding the lowest part of the map.
  • Fixed issue that made General and Supply Wagons to occupy Corps slots in battles, thus reducing your available units.
  • Fixed "Battle of Fort Stevens" text not appearing in your fought battle list.
  • Fixed minor bug that could slightly change the Union uniform colors in camp, after Battle of Shiloh.
  • Fixed several localization issues that were reported.
  • Fixed issue of teleported artillery in Malvern Hill.
  • Fixed bug that switched the uniform of captured units after loading a battle.
  • Fixed problem that did not allow the deletion of saved files.
  • Fixed unnamed division commanders.
  • Fixed minor bug that showed captured enemy commanders in player's Officer Tab of Battle Report window.
  • Fixed bug that gave wounded officers from enemy army in player's army at end of battle.
  • Fixed minor bug that was hiding long officer names in camp.
  • Fixed annoying very loud marching sound in camp.
  • Fixed bug that made injured officers available in reserves list.
  • Fixed Limber/Unlimber button not working.
  • Fixed issue that was creating double officer names in camp.
  • Fixed bug that prevented the terrain info display for detached skirmishers and in some other occasions.
  • Fixed invisible supply depot objects in Washington and Richmond.
  • Fixed timer issue for Union's Battle of Shiloh Campaign Version where Hornet's nest stage could switch too soon.
  • Fixed Gettysburg timer issue in 2nd Day Night phase, where player could lose Culp's Hill but battle could continue.
  • Various other minor fixes that you have reported.
Other
  • Added sound for battle messages.
Thanks a lot to the volunteer testers who assisted us in the beta procedure of the patch:

• Col_Kelly
  • The Soldier
  • Wright29
  • Andre Bolkonsky
  • CSA Watkins
  • Koro
  • JonnyH13
  • Mr. Mercanto
We wanted to include more but we thought it would be better to offer you the new improved campaign system right away and update again with hotfixes in the coming days.

With the new campaign feature we believe that now the game is almost ready for the full release. We await your next feedback so we can find together the last remaining things needing improvements, such as balance or minor bugs.

Official forum: Link
Steam forum: Link

Enjoy!

The Game-Labs Team

*Important*
Your saves will be playable but not fully optimized to support the new system. It is advised to play a new campaign to test this new feature.

mbv123

Arbiter
Looks interesting, too bad I have zero interest in American Civil War. Maybe next time they'll branch out to Napoleonic era or something.

Higher Animal

Arcane
Looks interesting, too bad I have zero interest in American Civil War. Maybe next time they'll branch out to Napoleonic era or something.

ACW is about 100x more tactically interesting than Napoleonic era. ACW one of the most interesting wars ever, tactically speaking.

mbv123

Arbiter
ACW is about 100x more tactically interesting than Napoleonic era. ACW one of the most interesting wars ever, tactically speaking.
Maybe so, but from a political point of view, it's just boring. During Napoleonic era you have France, Britain, Austria, Prussia, Russia, Spain fucking shit up in a 20 year span but in ACW it's just Blue Americans vs Grey Americans.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom