Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultimate General: Civil War

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Attacker / defender is quite evenly distributed over the campaign and often switches within a battle. You may take a town against a single division and then a larger counterattack begins, things like that.

I tried the Union once, remember that the first battle for the Union was quite hard. The Union has more/better rifles and cannon but a disadvantage in melee, which is partly due to the older muskets of the rebels.

All in all they could require a little different strategies, but difficulty-wise should be the same.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Attacker / defender is quite evenly distributed over the campaign and often switches within a battle. You may take a town against a single division and then a larger counterattack begins, things like that.

I tried the Union once, remember that the first battle for the Union was quite hard. The Union has more/better rifles and cannon but a disadvantage in melee, which is partly due to the older muskets of the rebels.

All in all they could require a little different strategies, but difficulty-wise should be the same.

What difficult are you playing on? I'm on the Hardest and the Confederates just cleaned my clock out on that first map.

Burning Bridges

I play on Brigadier General. I tried once as the USA on the highest difficulty and the first battle was nigh impossible. Maybe once I played the entire campaign I would try again.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Goodness me, the campaign is long. Has anyone finished it?

I finished the Union campaign and got about halfway through the Confederate campaign. I kept getting interrupted by updates that changed/broke stuff which affected the viability of army builds but now that the game is completed I'll try a rebel campaign on max difficulty.

The campaign is great but the level scaling is a PITA since there are many ways in which you can screw yourself over by triggering scaling and having to face hordes of massive 3-star brigades armed with cutting-edge tech. The game also rewards all kinds of gamey crap for you to stay competitive (such as having NPC brigades die so you can salvage their weps after battles, free of charge, the brigade merging exploit or the skirmisher exploit) but in some of the last missions you simply have to use all that crap to win. The siege of Richmond mission is bullshit in that regard since you're expected to storm multiple layers of trenches in multiple sectors against the clock and THEN take several star forts with what's left of your army.

It's a good game, though, and I don't regret buying it, though I do wish it had multiplayer like UG:G

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik

What difficult are you playing on? I'm on the Hardest and the Confederates just cleaned my clock out on that first map.

As it should be!

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Just downloaded this game and it's really good. Only played the first union battle and a custom battle but I like what I see so far.

Burning Bridges

I think it's extremely likely they are now working on a Napoleonic sequel. I believe there even was a poll somewhere.
There have been no updates to UGCW since November, so the project would be 4 months in.

I really do hope they work on the general balance and campaign flexibility, because it could be my number 1 game in the field if it was endlessly replayable and the difficulty scaled better.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Can anyone recommend other good ACW games? Enjoying this one but I'm in the mood for more and I heard Civil War 2 was good.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Looking into Scourge of War: Gettysburg and it looks like you can do a persistent co-op campaign with GCM. Anyone have any experience with this?

Burning Bridges

Burning Bridges

Because the new engine is shit and can't handle the size of the maps.
Most of the new features like regional options and reinforcements suck.
They lost their most talented graphic artist and now they just make do with bad photoshop artists.
The AI was also quite good in the old games, which apparently cost them a ton of fine tuning which they don't do anymore.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
North & South.
011_02_north_and_south.jpg

Best game ever. :D

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I bought this at 50% off during the GOG summer sale, but I haven't played it yet. Has anyone played it? Any impressions?

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik
Can anyone recommend other good ACW games? Enjoying this one but I'm in the mood for more and I heard Civil War 2 was good.

Get this, not the sequel: http://www.ageod.com/products/product.asp?gid=343
The campaign is the best I've ever played, 100s and 100s of hours.

There is also http://www.ageod.com/products/product.asp?gid=579 which is about equivalent but in a Russian revolution setting. Often goes for a discount on Steam.

Yeah AGEOD's ACW was the best for me, followed by RCW.

It's a shame, though, because it could use more strategy love.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Is there any other games with that engine/system that are not about America? I really don't care about the setting but the game is good.

Riel

Arcane
I am having a lot of fun with this game. I just played Bull Run as the CSA, it was the first truly challenging mission as in I lost it a few times and didn't know why. I was basically following the initial advice fro the mission as I had done until then, turns out this time it wasn't so good and attempting to protect all objectives spread my forces too thin. Instead I opted for a full out counter attack across the river just as the battle started and before I was engaged at all, this allowed me to decimate the first enemy wave before reinforcements arrived, it was pretty effective and by the time I was back to the main objective no enemy reinforcements had arrived. Still enemy reinforcement kept arriving but also friendly troops so the battle stalled into an impasse with most forces on the west side protecting my left flank, then the game urged me to retreat south of the river, I think I already had the upper hand since I had stalled and inflicted severe casualties on federal forces but still the flag was moved and I was afraid a blitz could capture it and make me lose, so I performed a tactical retreat across the south river and took positions as suggested in the hill with artillery as I formed a line protecting the river. The federals started to siege me but I had superior position so they took even more casualties, they even made some good pushes to try and cross the river but proper reinforcing repulsed the enemy back where they had come. By the time the last wave or reinforcements came I think I already outnumbered the enemy two to one so I took it slow but steady until I recovered all the ground I had lost.

I wrote all of this so people see how dynamic and undull battles are. You have to keep adapting all the time to changing conditions, even when you are defending a fort you need to move and manoeuvre troops out of it. I definitely recommend it to anyone who likes tactical battles.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Yeah, that's the beauty of the game. Objectives evolve based on changes in intel and overall battle plans as the rubber hits the road, so an objective you're supposed to defend with your life at one point suddenly becomes useless as you're ordered to fall back somewhere else. Of course if you're sneaky you can use the power of hindsight to avoid performing actions that were historically stupid or unadvisable and you still won't get court martialed for insubordination :D

Riel

Arcane
So I've kept playing the Confederate campaign and I have noticed difficulty of the game seems to go down rather than up after the first few battles, maybe it is because I learnt how to play better or maybe it is because I managed to pump up my army faster than the Federals, or maybe a bit of both. But now I am at Antietam battle and for the first time I have hit a hard limit, precisely what has helped me get a string of solid victories against the Federals, my big army, has now had a unforeseen and potentially game stopping problem: The fucking armoury is almost empty.

I already was relying mostly in Springfield M1842, since Confederate access to improved weaponry is so limited I only used it for elite brigades, but now at this battle I have to mobilize 3 fucking corps so I've had to expand and reinforce existing brigades and I have exhausted the supply in the armoury. All I have is some small amounts of advanced weaponry generally in too low quantities to consider using and 13K farmers and re-bored farmers....

So, is this how the confederacy is supposed to end, with your inability to keep up the army race with the union? Because at this pace I think I will run out even of Farmer muskets by the next big battle... I suppose I could have been a bit more effective at reducing my own casualties so I lose less weapons but honestly I think I was doing quite well in that department with around a 2 to 1 casualty rate average across the campaign.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom