Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Uncharted Collection, remastered for PS4

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Sounds like most modern AAA games.

Deleted member 7219

Uncharted 2 is just as good as I remember. Huge improvement over the first one in every single way, but most noticeably the pacing, the varied environments and the better script. Instead of charging through the entire game shooting waves of enemies, they mix the gameplay up a little bit. The puzzles aren't as challenging as, say, Tomb Raider, but they are there.

Game looks fantastic, character models have been given another update and yes, the frame rate boost to 60 FPS is still hugely appreciated. I don't think I can go back to playing any game at 30 FPS now.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Honestly, I'd rather just go play the old Tomb Raider games again. At least those had real puzzles and platforming challenges.

CrawlingDead

Learned
Seems like I might like the first Uncharted. Went straight to the second one. Wasn't impressed. The story was less Raiders quality and more 90s WB adventure show starring Bruce Campbell quality. Trivial platforming or whatever you want to call it, with auto corrected jumps for the scrubs. Gun selection was boring and feedback wasn't very satisfying. Enemy variety wasn't great. The tank set piece far out did all others, because it actually affected how I played the game instead of being essentially a backdrop for the same old mole popping. Of course the easier, more spectacle heavy game got more praise from the plebs. A well made game isn't necessarily an interesting game, which ties into some feelings I have about the hubbub surrounding 10/10 review scores and the idea of perfection, but that's for another day.

I'm just going to accept my hipster status and say that if the first Uncharted got criticized for being too hard, it's probably a better game for me. In today's parlance, "too hard" usually means "it required competence from me."
The first game was old-school as fuck, but a little too much action. I think where the second two games in the series shine is in the focus on the platforming. They're all great games though, especially for history buffs.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
:necro:

Been playing the remastered games for the first time. Never bothered with consoles last gen, but got a ps4 this time for my son and blu rays. Anyways, first one was ok, a pretty good game. The second one(that i think i'm almost done with) is barely a game, but holy shit it's fun. It's not just popamole done right, it's Michael Bay done right. Everything explodes, buildings collapse, trains falll, main character is just cocky enough, one liners are great and it's just fun all the way. But, god, it's a horrible game.

How's the third one? Is it really that bad?

MapMan

Arcane
The shootan mechanics are shit, the platforming is banal (like literally, you instantly know where to go and you pretty much have to mash X in order to proceed, no thought or trial & error) and puzzles wouldn't be a challenge for people with brain damage. The story is really dumb at moments but the general setting is really good. The one liners are good and most of the locations are great. It's worth a playthrough. If they'd combine Max Payne's combat & action with Tomb Raider puzzles we'd have greatest adventure game ever made I suppose. I just wish there'd be more to the game. The puzzles are such a missed opportunity that could span multiple locations and items (which could be a puzzle themselves, like a lockbox you have to figure out how to open). That's what hurts me the most about the game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Completed all these. For something with a reputation as movie games, they were surprisingly demanding. The enemies are aggressive about advancing and flushing you out of cover and they all have proper difficulty curves that stressed me out and/or made me die a lot in the final parts. The final bosses in the first two games were god awful though; 3 finally stuck the landing by doing something appropriately cinematic.

Amused to see how all the accolades over the writing are simply because it faithfully emulates the Indiana Jones movies. Bit of a low bar when it comes to standards, but they did clear it I suppose. I was annoyed by how the first game would almost always immediately undercut your accomplishment in solving a puzzle to get to a new area only for you to immediately run into bad guys who had already blown an entrance inside elsewhere; made me feel like a chump. Glad they apparently got feedback on that and didn't do it in the other two games, giving you some time before the bad guys follow you in.

Not going to bother with the fourth one out of respect for Hennig, and also to hell with Druckmann.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I tried playing the Uncharted games without using so much cover. When I did use cover, I mainly stood behind a wall rather than use the cover button. It works a bit better in the PS4 games. Think I did this on the medium difficulty.

The higher difficulties force cover more. Crushing is almost pure pop-a-mole, since they take your small health so fast that you're constantly forced to wait for it to regenerate. Series was never more than a 3/5.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, the only real differences between the difficulties is how much time you spend behind cover. Having beaten 1 and 2 on highest difficulty("Crushing"), there isn't too much difference between it and a hard, so if you can beat it on hard, you can beat it on crushing. There's no enemy increased HP ala Gears of War on higher difficulties either, which helps.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Not going to bother with the fourth one out of respect for Hennig, and also to hell with Druckmann.

Some of the leads in Druckmann's Uncharted feel like...

His treasure hunting is so inorganic at times.

Uncharted 1 has under 90 minutes of cutscenes. Between the nearly three hours of cutscenes in Uncharted 4 and all the scripted stuff that isn't gameplay, it feels like five to six hours. Took itself far too seriously. The pulp adventure feeling faded somewhat in the face of all that serious drama.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom