Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Dev Log #55: Global Map

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I would pay money to watch a week of FeelTheExtremeButthurt's life, seriously. It oozes delicious autism. It should be a case study in every psychology major studies at every university.

Robespierre

Madame Guillotine
Patron
It's Kitten Time at the GreatCrystalShrine
Make the Codex Great Again!
I would pay money to watch a week of FeelTheExtremeButthurt's life, seriously. It oozes delicious autism. It should be a case study in every psychology major studies at every university.

k8fSl1m.gif

FeelTheRads

Arcane
ExtremeButthurt
I love neckbards and their bullshit arguments about how QoL changes to a good game, are bad and shouldnt be implemented.

OH NOEEUHH, DONT MAEK THE GAME EASIER TO ENJOY, DONTTMEE MAEEK QUALIRT OF LIFE CHANGES, I WANT ME GAME VNALLA AS IT IS!!

YOU NEED TO BE ANNOYED TO PALY THIS GAEMEE, you need to be annoyed about trivial shit, that has no impact on the game itself, just annoyances.

What a moronic argument. I can't even fathom it.

Keep digging yourself in, moron.
By the way, when you have an actual argument for how a map is just QoL independent of gameplay I'd like to listen. Not holding my breath since you are incapable to reason beyond "muh adult life".

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Playing Underrail I felt my mind reinvigorated and healthier. This is a game old folks should play in the asylum because is great for mental exercise trying to remember all those map locations and learning the layout by heart.

wait...what? a map incoming?

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
So don't use it, and just use your own drawn maps...

In this case this is actually true because the game was made before maps were implemented.
But I am kinda okay with these general area maps. Its the modern trend of fucking realtime GPS and indicators that gets me. Metroidvanias have the same sort of exploration and have a map, System Shock from where Underail borrows heavily had a map.

I personally prefer no map at all but its not the end of the world. I love getting lost in videogames but it has to make sense.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Underrail brought back my faith in RPGs. And cured my hemorrhoids.
Thank you for sharing this, hemorrhoids is bad, I know it! So, I must play more Underrail.

All hail to Styg!
Indeed!

Seriously though, a faster walking animation or whatever would be a new GOTY worthy feature.

That and the map makes the vanilla game even more inclined

Isn't +50% movement speed (Rathound Regalia and infused siphoner tabi or boots with springs) fast enough for you? I oftem even can't navigate my char in time with it, so he often stay. All levels with this speed take ~5-7 sec.

All of those who didn't manage to complete Underrail because of "meh I'm lost, I can't tell left from right, need muhp" are unworthy of such a prize as UR.
For me it wasn't about "I'm lost", it was "where I have been and where I haven't been". For me it was a headache.

2) Improved enemy spawns - To Do
Was already done.

don't waste my time. Or in this game, your consumer/fanbases time. First principle of good game design.
You seriouslt talking that about games?
I bet then you like mods that allow to fuck your party NPC after first dialogue in Bioware games lol. "Why we should waste our time, jump on my pinus!"

For those of you who need movement speed increased - you are COMPLETELY and ABSOLUTELY RETARDED.
Maybe, for economy of your precious time Styg should implement A TELEPORT SYSTEM instead of WALKING?
You point a mouse somwhere and BOOM - character already there?
Fucking cocksuckers you are, aren't you?
You just can't fugure out that game's mechanic is based on real time timings, which is fucking ruined if you use this shit.

GO FUCK YOUSELF AND YOU MOMMY and YOUR DOG, and FISH YOU DEGENERATES.

P.S. To make it clear to avoid insulting someone without reason - I welcome map feature not because I fear to lost, but because I can't trace reliable WHERE I HAVEN'T BEEN.
Once I even dropped an arrow near evety exit I didn't explored yet, but that got old very quickly.

If Styg could implement feature that help to trace unexplored exits\zones, I don't need such map at all.

FUCKING RETARDS!

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just sayin' Fenix - using Cheatengine works just as well. Made the game move from sloggy to GOTYAY for me. Took care of most problems - combat pacing included.

All Styg really needs to do is add a "Speed up global timer" button. That's it. If CheatEngine can do it, I'd imagine adding a native version wouldn't be too hard.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Honestly don't get why the fuck people are so up in autistic arms about this. Embarrasing to read.

Equating a simple map overlay to help navigate the vast areas of the game, with having a quest compass or whatever... wtf.

And lol at people bashing speeding up the game. What possible fun is to be gained from watching your pixeled character take 15 minutes to walk through an empty area, instead of only 2 minutes?

Reduce tedious tasks, and you will get a far more wellrounded and fun product. This is exactly what Styg realized, and thank the gods for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Angel

Arcane
I remembered there being arguments against global timer speed up, that stealth mechanics are too tightly integrated into the game and encounter designs was quite complex, or something like that.

Would be best to make an out-of-combat running/sprinting feature, and that's it. No need for global timer speed up.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Even for stealth parts, it works. How? Just link the global timer to a button. Again, just like in CE.
Want to quickly take a stroll through Core City? Hit "P" to make everything move at 2x\4x the speed.
Sneaking around mutants in Depot A? Hit " [" to slow stuff down to normal speed.

Problem solved!

ciox

Liturgist
The problem is Styg doesn't want you to cheat merchant restock timers and other stuff that replenishes over time like that, or at least not encourage you to.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
The problem is Styg doesn't want you to cheat merchant restock timers and other stuff that replenishes over time like that, or at least not encourage you to.

Then Styg should change this mechanics. For example traders could have their random inventory like it works currently, BUT they could also have a special option, where you would pay extra like 50-100% and then you would place order for a particular part/item. After some time like 15-30 minutes, you could go to a trader and got the item.

Black Angel

Arcane
no difference. You run faster but at the same time enemies notice you faster
That's what I mean. I'm sure as hell Styg didn't design all the stealth mechanics and its integration to the gameplay system with people who goes to stealth, moving very fast because they pump up global timer speed, and then get noticed in 1 second because you can't keep up character's speed and position properly to stay stealthy.

But if the implementation is like what Jack Dandy proposed, I guess it might work. Basically, if you're sneaking, don't speed up global timer. If you're not, go crazy.

However, like ciox mentioned above, there's also the consideration of over-time stuff, like merchant restock timers, AND not to mention trash mobs respawn which I forgot to include in my previous post. Oh, and also super steel timer. However, Styg has a plan to allow us to speed up super steel timer, by giving extra side quest for Gloria, and also to increase minimum quality of super steel iirc.

I think Styg won't get rid of those two over-time related stuff, though. Trash mobs are part of the game, especially since they're the way they are on account of crafting recipe for Biology/Chemistry/Tailoring, but you can always skip them by stealth or just take the train. As for mercantile system
Then Styg should change this mechanics. For example traders could have their random inventory like it works currently, BUT they could also have a special option, where you would pay extra like 50-100% and then you would place order for a particular part/item. After some time like 15-30 minutes, you could go to a trader and got the item.
You can already have Mercantile check with some traders to unlock their 'special options'. But yeah, I agree that some traders should accept 'special order' where you pay extra charon upfront and pay the rest when the item is available. This game gives you a LOT of money, and the only worthwhile money sink is super steel. Though we're yet to see what kind of money sink would the expansion bring.

I still think implementing only out-of-combat running feature would do the job, though.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Goddamnit guys, the map is good. If you dont want to use it, then dont... but having options is always a good thing.

I don't see the big deal either.

Don't use it if it's such a casual feature that makes the game 10000x easier. I managed without, but I think it's a nice QOL feature.

Diggfinger

Arcane
What great news. I couldn't be happier.

Now Styg just needs to add a quest compass, fast travel, a mount, and a hand-portable nuclear mortar launcher. Then Underrail will truly be incline.

f6de6c635e.jpg

You're wasting your time. Told Styg years ago that he needs full GameBryo engine conversion. Wouldn't listen, too bad (Todd would have been happy):hearnoevil:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
GameBryo would be a good QoL change. These static, lifeless items sprites could instead be 3D modeled and enjoy advanced (lol) physics emulation. That wouldn't affect gameplay at all, so it should be fine.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Underrail in first person would be cool though. Would feel like playing a modern turn-based Ultima Underworld.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Hmm, getting lost every once in a while and panicking was part of the fun and it made the important thoroughfares all the more memorable. I don't know, probably won't use this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom