Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Dev Log #57: The Rig

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Too bad it's still months away. I should really finish 3+ builds on DOMINATING in the meantime. Users complain that the shopping mall is hard but DC is hell.

Steam says I was ingame for 663 hours. I don't even play games a lot! What the fuck?

Big Wrangle

I know that Steam would sometimes say you played a games for less hours than what you actually did, but the opposite is new to me. Unless you idled a lot and forgot about it or something.

Modron

Arcane
I've seen some odd cases here and there where steam seems to double/triple the time played count in a game. I have only played through Underrail one time to completion and made no restarts on my effort yet it lists me as playing 152 hours of it when I would be shocked if I actually played more than 50. Furthermore, I didn't use cheat engine to run the game at 2x/3x speed either.

ciox

Liturgist
I don't think DC is hell anymore if you know what you're doing, even on Hard.
Faceless are extremely hard to completely piss off so you can get about 5000 times the supplies you will ever need from their warehouses.
The minions are largely avoidable if you are patient / use the shelters.
Only the end boss can be a problem if your build is not equipped for burst damage. (pistol build where you refuse to use SMG, crossbow build without a fast firing crossbow and high crit chance)

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
The naming of Tchort I still can't forgive. Any Slavic speaker immediately recognizes "Institute of Tchort" as "devil worshippers". There's no ambiguity. In Potato we have "Czort" or even "ciort" even though the word is overall Russian. Co to za ciort ogarnął Styga żeby samemu zespoilować swoją grę? Również utopce.

I don't think DC is hell anymore if you know what you're doing, even on Hard.

It's on DOMINATING. It's "hard plus" except by a large margin from any other difficulty. See what they did to Newton quest's Azuridae. Hint: there are 10 of them at player character level 3-4. What kind of a build can do it without a cheese? It's meant to be cheesed.

It's not a complaint–this difficulty mode adds much-needed replayability. Only munchkins survive. For a little while at least.

Make sure to use the experimental branch on Steam.

The minions are largely avoidable if you are patient / use the shelters.

Only with over 150 effective Stealth (or more, YMMV) you can try ignoring them. But then forget about looting any of the buildings. Also sometimes they spawn in critical passages so can't ignore them.

Faceless are extremely hard to completely piss off so you can get about 5000 times the supplies you will ever need from their warehouses.

I should take 3 different SMG calibers to blow through DC. SMGs have it worst. Empty the magazine each turn without Adrenaline Shot. Other build types can do decent single-shot damage.

Also SMGs and pistols have it the worst since they have to increase DEX so much. Other shooters can go for ~16 PER.

Only the end boss can be a problem if your build is not equipped for burst damage. (pistol build where you refuse to use SMG, crossbow build without a fast firing crossbow and high crit chance)

The Ambush feat works with all builds. Just throw a Molotov. Beats high crit chance crafted items any time. Use NV Smart Goggles and a Smart Module for all these builds.

The pistol build is one of the weakest at this moment. See above about DEX/PER stat increase.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
The naming of Tchort I still can't forgive. Any Slavic speaker immediately recognizes "Institute of Tchort" as "devil worshippers". There's no ambiguity. In Potato we have "Czort" or even "ciort" even though the word is overall Russian. Co to za ciort ogarnął Styga żeby samemu zespoilować swoją grę? Również utopce.
star wars and darth vader must have been hard on you if you knew german

But Star Wars original trilogy is aimed at little children with all the implied naivete and Luke looking like Jesus H. Christ. OTOH RPG's are serious business.

In the absence of the Tchort part, you see them doing pretty cool scifi genetic and physics research. Percival's lecture shows them in pretty positive light. Abram's friends' data also shows they're not bonkers. Everyone ignores the Tchort part. There's no mystery because of the name like that up front.

It's as if you met some cool new people and they tell you they're from the Infant Rape and Murder Advocacy Group. Sorta fun bunch eh?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Last edited:

Ramenos

Literate
I loved that game. If only the last part would not be so shitty (I had a weak build / crossbow which means dying every 10 seconds). I might start a new run again for the new zone but I need to create a stronger build...

Anyway, they did an incredible job with these map system and the new zone.

Drowed

Arcane
Ohfuck. I'm in the middle of a playthrough. Now I want to wait for the DLC, but I bet it will be released next year, or even 2020. What to do. :(

Last edited:

Ramenos

Literate
Just play further!
With dlc you will try new build! There are many of them with different gameplay.
Agreed, it will be probably an occasion to start a completely different new deck.

I just still don't know if I should play in classic or oddity mode :)

Latelistener

Arcane
unless you do, then hit dc, rage quit and create a thread on codex
I managed to complete it with a crossbow build (I got there after they nerfed it).
And I don't think you can choose something worse in this game.
Besides, if your build is really shitty, you should have rage quitted on Depot A.

Ramenos

Literate
unless you do, then hit dc, rage quit and create a thread on codex
I managed to complete it with a crossbow build (I got there after they nerfed it).
And I don't think you can choose something worse in this game.
Besides, if your build is really shitty, you should have rage quitted on Depot A.

Well done! I guess you optimized your build better than me (at that time, I thought that the maximum for a perk was 10... And I was wrong). I ragequit when the game asked me to repair a door before getting to the "final boss" on the last zone. I was not able to move 2 meters without being attacked. Depot A was ok actually. Played on Normal/Oddity.

I guess I was brave to play a crossbow build :D

FeelTheRads

Arcane
How does the oddity system prevent this grinding thing?
Oddities drop from mobs too, so to be sure you get them, you still have to kill a lot of shit. But instead of just grinding fights you also have to grind every garbage can because you don't know where you might find one.
Similar to how no combat XP doesn't actually remove grinding, just moves it to grinding quests and any other source of XP, the oddity system, if anything, increases grinding.

Last edited:

Ramenos

Literate
Oddity is great, I am just wondering if I could switch to classic for a 2nd run and makes my life easier... Just a little bit :D

Sincerely, Depot A was tough but the last zone is just horrible. I have issues to kill 1 enemy with the crossbow and the fact that the aliens (don't remember their name) try to kill me as soon as they see me does not help :(

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Anything to actually say, Infinitron, or are you just gonna butthurt because your favorite game is crap with crap design?

ciox

Liturgist
Oddity is great, I am just wondering if I could switch to classic for a 2nd run and makes my life easier... Just a little bit :D

Sincerely, Depot A was tough but the last zone is just horrible. I have issues to kill 1 enemy with the crossbow and the fact that the aliens (don't remember their name) try to kill me as soon as they see me does not help :(
Pics of build/gear? Your perception should be way above 10 for one.

Tigranes

Arcane
How does the oddity system prevent this grinding thing?
Oddities drop from mobs too, so to be sure you get them, you still have to kill a lot of shit. But instead of just grinding fights you also have to grind every garbage can because you don't know where you might find one.
Similar to how no combat XP doesn't actually remove grinding, just moves it to grinding quests and any other source of XP, the oddity system, if anything, increases grinding.

I don't think it makes a huge difference in terms of grinding, but I do like the small shift where I don't have to look at a mob and think of it as walking XP, and instead see it as an obstacle to be overcome in a variety of ways.

With Oddity, remember that you don't really have to search every single trash-can. You usually max out a lot of the oddity types in an area long before you kill or search everything. After that, you are free to search more containers for any kind of loot as much as you want.

Primarily, I like Oddities because they help make looting more exciting, while not really hurting the combat experience - I'm still going to be fighting most enemies in order to get through the game, and also because I am playing for the challenge, not the XP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom