Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Eh, getting lost should be in searching for quest solutions which are intentionally vague, not because of a complete lack of maps.
I know it borders on impractical, but I personally find it immersive :) I have to count on my own out-of-game ability to remember where I've passed through in order not to get lost.

naossano

Cipher
I am not saying that, in general, all games must lose you.
But i think it would be refreshing to have some games that just do that.
And it seems to me that the nature of Underrail gameworld fits pretty well with that specific feature. (of being lost)
That wouldn't work is all games. But, hell, we need variety in different games and their mechanics.

torpid

Liturgist
Styg's world map/no minimap seems like a good compromise. If there are multiple maps, they could have different levels of detail: the settled areas would have more accurate maps, while the cave networks would remain only vaguely outlined, to preserve the labyrinthic vibe when exploring them. Also, later game maps should be expensive, so I can spend my charons on something. The game is lacking in money sinks, and I'm hauling around thousands of coins with nothing to spend them on.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I haven't played that far, but I don't think I've ever had a problem with getting lost. The maps seemed fairly straight forward in the first part of the game.

polo

Magister
Straight forward yes, but then you have a thousand area transitions. Personally i remember missing the map feature, but didn't bother me one bit.

I don't think the lack of a map is a problem, but it's a convenience that I'm so used to nowadays that I definitely notice it's not there.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I am not saying that, in general, all games must lose you.
But i think it would be refreshing to have some games that just do that.
And it seems to me that the nature of Underrail gameworld fits pretty well with that specific feature. (of being lost)
That wouldn't work is all games. But, hell, we need variety in different games and their mechanics.

Have to agree. I'm a bit ambivalent. On one hand, I've had no real problems with getting lost and wasting too much time. On the other hand a map would be nice. But that's about as far as I can take caring about the issue. The "WE NEED MAP HALP!!!1" crowd is fairly perplexing.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just found out I can have a custom portrait but I'm level 8 by now. Is there any way to mod my savegame to use a custom portrait?

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
IMG_0698.jpg

:outrage: :outrage: :outrage: :outrage:

We're on the RPGcodex, mate. Theoretically, everyone hates those newfag automaps and praises the awesomeness of graph paper, practically... Yeah.

I'm not sure why this whole map thing is even an issue - it is the age of the internet, you already have a good map in the wiki if you're too lazy to make one yourself, why pester the author with pointless things?

Cazzeris

We're on the RPGcodex, mate. Theoretically, everyone hates those newfag automaps and praises the awesomeness of graph paper, practically... Yeah.

I'm not sure why this whole map thing is even an issue - it is the age of the internet, you already have a good map in the wiki if you're too lazy to make one yourself, why pester the author with pointless things?

:bro::bro::bro:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Eh, I have a notepad and a pencil at my computer at all times. I usually use it for scribbling down reminders for quests, trade routes or names of troublesome nobles I have to remember to assassinate. A map is not that different.

Add to that the fact many people have limited time they can spend for gaming and I'd rather spend it playing, not drawing maps when the game can draw it for me - it's not like it adds quest markers or something, just removes unnecessary tedium.

Some games are like that. You just draw maps as you play, it is a part of the experience. Got no time for scribbling a few lines? You might want to play something else. And if you are desperate, use the damn wiki, as they said.

Drowed

Arcane
That's one of the things I'll never understand about the codex: the inability to differentiate a new feature that brings convenience to the player from a stupid function that destroys the gameplay.

In-game maps are extremely convenient/practical. I think it must have been months since the last time I had to write something on paper - I always have a computer or a cell next to me. It is extremely practical to use more efficient tools to do something that you would take twice as long to do otherwise. I can access my music, books, calendar, contacts, games, all in an instant. When I talk to an older co-worker, he is horrified when he realizes that for years I have not read a "physical" book. It is simply more practical to have my entire library in the palm of my hand, to read wherever I have will and/or opportunity. But for him, it seems absurd, as if I'm "ruining the experience of reading a book" or whatever.

At such times, I realize that (part of the) Codex is "gamer" version of this kind of people. Obviously, an automatic map with all extremely detailed spoonfed information and floating yellow exclamations on the heads of each NPC are retarded things. But a basic map that doesn't make me sit on the PC with pen and paper on hand? Or that don't make me search for a map on the internet, needing to alt-tab every time I need to remember where something that I already have visited is? There is nothing wrong with that. Rather, it is extremely desirable. I wonder if I were traveling with someone from Codex, I would see someone accuse me of being guilty of "decline" because I'm using Waze to know the way to somewhere rather than buying a paper map and make the pen notes myself.

naossano

Cipher
As i said earlier, i am not saying that all game should have their map removed and that maps always suck, just that it could be refreshing to have some games that doesn't have maps.
Variety doesn't hurt. There is not one game formula that should be applied to every games.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
I have never, ever, got lost traveling the underrail.
We get good directions from npc and the lack of map adds to the mystery while exploring.

I am not against a minimap, but i rather Styg and his team spend their time and energy elsewhere.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
For more immersun and real oldskull turn off monitor and play in complete darkness with sounds only - at least in areas without lightsource -
using paper and pencil should be considered as cheating worth of casual noobs.
Is there anything better than get lost for 10 hours while you have angry wife and bunch of children, job, other hobbies outside the game?

It will be great with Oculus Rift to see nothing! But OR is for casuals, real hardcores use something like this while playing dark and mature crpgs :

Step 1: "Im going to play my hardcore crpg honey, can i borrow your freaking cool paper box? "
stock-footage-couple-happily-unpacking-boxes-after-move-in-kitchen.jpg

Step 2: Hmphh, oldchool they said... , maps they said... , manuals theuy said... i will take more serious approach... let's cut here...
e16-removal-men-e13.jpg

Step3: Now im true Codexian!
doctor-cardboard-box-650px.jpg

Go play as true pro, join the Elite, no compromises.

It has multiplayer too:
wnd_921ef8d5ef1057b9639f153a15b8a34f.jpg

[to be clear: I love Underrail, own it and love it , one of best crpgs released in last year ]

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
Look, it's Wulfric, the DA:I fan! :roll:

We hear you buddy, just go back to your dating simulator with single player MMO gameplay now.

It was a bit shitty on your part to bring up "it's a matter of taste" when it came to DA:I only to come troll an independent game, and one which actually requires thought.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think as long as the areas are distinctive and memorable, then a mini map is not required. I personally tend to have navigation problems in games if areas are very similar.

V_K

Arcane
I think it's a matter of game style. In a dungeon crawler having no map helps to builds tension. On the other hand, in a game with a detailed and large world having a world map helps to build anticipation. Since Underrail is both a dungeon crawler and a game with a detailed world, both approaches could work. But I'd say the best option would be a middle ground: having a map detailing only 'civilized' locations, with the more obscure and dangerous parts remaining uncharted.
Also, I only played the public demo, but the walking speed seems rather slow. Getting lost without a map when it takes forever to get anywhere can be rather irritating.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath

*sigh*

The more popular the site gets, the more teenagers we get who think this entire site is one big pissing contest.

Anyway...

I think it's obvious that most of us don't require a map, but would appreciate one if it were there. So, seeing as how Styg basically said "Yeah, I'll probably do that" I think the more interesting issue is to consider how we obtain the map: is it toggle-able, is it built in, is it an in-game item, is it a blueprint-necessitating craft item, etc. I think keeping it optional is the best idea, and since at the very least people in this thread seem split down the middle...having it be an in-game item (craft-able or not) would be a great way to go (i.e. something you have to be proactive in obtaining if indeed you do want it).

My ideal would probably be as an in-game item, and it being incomplete.

Edit: As in it doesn't magically reveal all information, but maybe identifies major hubs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom