Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Loriac

Arcane
This is indie done right. Can't wait for the release.

Would you ever consider physical editions with boxes and collectibles?

I'd consider it, but I'm going to have to carefully look into what that entails. But yeah, I would one day like to make a certain amount of collector's editions that would come in the large box with goodies and everything.

I'm sure you're aware of this, but studios need to be very careful to properly budget costs of physical editions to make sure they're not losing money on each box sold. Perhaps more of an issue at the kickstarter stage, where the amounts added for worldwide postage are often too low (and I'm guessing those studios might also get hit with customs or VAT duties too). Also, the costs of producing a limited run of the bits and pieces that go into the box may be a lot higher than one would think. I recall seeing something about the Shadowrun Returns guys (I think) getting burned this way.

Its a bit of a shame really, the old days of the Collector's edition box set packed full of goodies are gone, but on the flipside digital distributions keep costs down and make games far more easily available to players.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Some polling of current Underrail owners, to the effect of "What is the most you are you willing to pay for X Y Z items in a Big Box"
  • $40
  • $60
  • $80
  • $100
etc would help Styg decide if it's worth it when he's sourcing manufacturing.

I mean - I'll give Styg a lot of money for whatever, honestly. I plan on buying like three more copies of the game at least just for the fuck of it. Me getting anything out of it is gravy.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
From my perspective, Styg costs out a collector's edition based on very limited run and communicates the price for pre-order only. Postage is paid by the buyer according to cost to the delivery location. Economies of scale doesn;t allow Styg to work out flat shipping pricing. You pay what you have to if you want it.

The interested can spend whatever is appropriate and Styg can make some coin.

Count me in, by the way.

Loriac

Arcane
I'm gonna tag myself here so I can get updates. I haven't played the game yet. Anyone wanna give a numerical pre-review on a scale of 1-10!? :)

one-louder-these-go-to-11-music-poster.jpg

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
I have been away from Underrail and its forums for a while and i am quite positively surprised with the advancements.
The game keeps getting better and better, i am very fond of the new feats. Some fit my builds perfectly.
Thanks Styg for all the hard work and for keeping your vision true despite some voices like Elhazzared and other post-steam posters, that asked you to row another way.
Thanks epeli for all your hard work with the wiki and time on the forums. Unfortunately i did not have the time to be more frequent on those forums and to help you out, and for that i am sorry but we got to have priorities. :(
All in all i like how this is turning out. The portraits are cool and the swap weapons button its finnaly here.

There is one thing that i don't like. The music. It's horrible.
I liked the old ones much more, they went so well with the game atmosphere.
Am i the only one who dislikes it?

Edit: Psi regen?!:argh:

Last edited:

epeli

Arcane
Mm, while the new music tracks are not excellent ambient pieces like the old drones, they're definitely more fitting for their respective areas. For example the old drone that played in all stations was very mellow and calm, whereas the new ones are tailored to individual stations and they are generally more... hmm... I'm at a loss of words on how to describe them. Mysterious, ominous? Oppressive, claustrophobic? Point is, they invoke a different atmosphere, but I think it's a more fitting one.

But I have to say I don't like all of them. IMO the Upper Underrail track is ruined by vocals and I still think the old drone for watery caves was better. But on the other hand, most of the new music tracks are excellent.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Do you have access to the old tracks?
That's a mod i would consider. I miss the mushroomcave theme.

I love the heavy weight feat. It was made for my "paladin" build :D

epeli

Arcane
Do you have access to the old tracks?
That's a mod i would consider.
I do have access to them and so do you. They're .ogg files in Underrail/Data/Audio/Music/

If you want the old mushroomcave theme back, delete WaterCaves.ogg, make a copy of Drone_Watery1.ogg and rename it WaterCaves.ogg.
I haven't actually tried doing so, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Make backups just in case.

In other news, this just happened.
ogsiTu7.png

>robot remains everywhere
>none of them hit that EMP mine

Pro mine placement! How did I even manage that? I'm starting to second guess my career as a trapper. Styg that was a fun fight :D Totally wrecked my squishy trapper and his companion on the first try.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Will give that a go, thanks epeli.
I was playing without music but decided to give it another go but much lower this time (around 20%) and it sounds better.
Not trying to act like an smart ass, but if i let it play low as background noise it is not as bad.

epeli

Arcane
Shadowfang all the other drones are still in the music folder as well, so you could replace all the new music with them if you wish. I could make a simple script to do that automatically if there's demand :P

But I wouldn't actually recommend that, even though I also liked the drones more. Dozens of completely different locales used the same drones, but now each has their own unique music.

Shadowfang

Arcane
I am going to leave Protectorate, Sewers and maybe TenseCaves alone.
epeli do you recall what music played at the SGS station? Was it the same from the main menu?
Already changed some, the caves and junkyard sound so much better. Not only i like the drones and how they fit as i am also too used to them at this point.
I might even replace some with Fallout ones. Metallic Monks would be an excellent substitute for the Protectorate, and so would vault of the future for scientific.

epeli

Arcane
Main aka Drone_Horror1 is still in use. TenseCaves, Sewers and WarehouseHorror also used it. WestWing would probably use it as well if we only had drones.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Some polling of current Underrail owners, to the effect of "What is the most you are you willing to pay for X Y Z items in a Big Box"
  • $40
  • $60
  • $80
  • $100
etc would help Styg decide if it's worth it when he's sourcing manufacturing.

You'll have to start a poll thread for that. Way too impractical otherwise.

epeli

Arcane
I just noticed there's no codex newspost for the recent Underrail update. Even though it's the last alpha version before final release! Do I get to blame Infinitron for being a harbinger of decline now?

Ah well, it would've been overshadowed by POE hype in any case.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom