Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The codex news staff is firmly in the pocket of Obsidian :decline:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Styg, once it's out, I'll play the living shit out of it, then bug you about making a sequel and demand to hire me to compose music for it.
Even if you will do something different, I'm in.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Okay, you've all convinced me. Next week's check goes towards this and Darkest Dungeon. Thnx!

I'd give you all brofists if I could. :)

Get 2 copies of Underrail instead, and spread the joy to a friend ;). DD is too easy and has about 20 hours to it. Plus they've already said no design changes for a while due to a family death for one of the designers.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Another negative review from steam! Posted on 1 April, but seems like a genuine whining.

It's a pretty good game in general for people who like things like Fallout 2 and such, however there are a few problems that just makes me not being able to recomend this game.

The first one is the developers not really listening to player imput. They have their idea of the game and they will not change things that are clearly bad design just because they are trying to be different... They at least do fix bugs and try to get everything in working order as soon as possible, but the development will not be influenced in any way, shape or form by the players even if certain mechanics are bad or things are not balanced properly.

And that pretty much is the rest of the problems of the game.

Balance between different combatstyles highly vary with some being absolute overkill and others not being good at all. Granted the game hasn't launched yet so there may be some more balancing down the line to make this better, however I wouldn't hope things will be balance at launch, in fact I don't expect them to be balanced in any other way than mods.

The game like so many others in the genre has a carry weight limit and very early on it will seem like this is ok, until you start finding things like sledgehammers and metal armor which weight far too much and make even a very high strenght character barely be able to carry anything... I can understand realism but a game is supposed to be a game at the end of the day and carry weight only do one thing which is breaking game immersion by forcing you to constantly stop what you are doing to go unload. This is made worse with the game having respawns in some areas.

Worst than that is the vendor system. Now many games in the genre have vendors with limited supply of money and this much is part of Underrail, but if the problem was that alone it would be fine, however Underail also features vendors who only buy certain amount of items and in limited quantities too. What this means is that you can never sell all your loot, you'll be forced to leave a lot of loot behind or wait for vendor reset which I belive happens every 45 minutes.

So what does this means? Well you've cleared a place, you've spent a very long time going back and forth placing all your items in some container with easy reach, now you only have to sit next to the vendors for 3 hours to maybe be able to sell everything... So yeah the game pretty much forces you to leave stuff behind. Now even if you leave stuff behind you'll still have more money than you'll ever need, that is not the problem. The problem is that if you are not rewarded to go out of your way and explore, you might as well just do the main missions and rush for the end. There is no incentive to go out of your way and do side questing nor exploring.

Remember the above problem? Well you still have too much money, that is yet another problem of the game. You can buy anything you need at any time which means the economy is not good at all. You'll only ever be without money very early on but quickly you'll go from no money to I can buy the entire store.

Then we come to the crafting. It has been made slightly worse in some aspects, it was made better in anothers. There are some feats now to improve crafting but overall, crafting still isn't worth that much. Crafting doesn't keeps you ahead of the curve. For the most part of the game you will buy/find better weapons than what you can craft and when you finally start being able to craft better stuff, you are really close to the end of the game. No point in investing in something that will only pay off in the end, not to mention that you won't even need the bonus.

And these are the major problems with the game. It really is a shame because when i first played it the only problem was the crafting. All other problems didn't exist (well there might still have been some balance issues but they weren't as bad). the game has a lot of depth to it, from character creation to character development and to how you engage in combat. The story is ok as far as I've seen. Definitly not Obsidian level by any means but still good enough.

The game had all the opportunities to be the next Fallout. Granted with a bit of a Metro spin on it. Unfortunatly the problems I described above just make the game completly unplayble so I'll have to give it a negative review. Maybe after the game is released someone will mod the game and actually make the game good and worth it's price but as it is. It isn't worth your time even if it was free.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Another negative review from steam! Posted on 1 April, but seems like a genuine whining.

So...

• Build imbalance
  • You can't bring all loot home
  • You can't sell all your loot
  • Too easy getting rich
  • Crafting isn't good enough

This makes the game "completly unplayble" [sic] and "[not] worth your time even if it was free". :lol:

Dumb enough to be an April Fool's joke, but there's no funny angle. So yeah, probably genuine :butthurt: over these minor faults and the fact that the developers don't listen to his demands that he should be able to carry and sell everything - a critical pillar of any RPG.

Eyeball

Arcane
He makes some very good points about game mechanics, with crafting in particular not being as developed as it could have been, but is also a whiny fuckstick unwilling to acknowledge that the game is enjoyable while focusing on some frankly fairly minor issues for the sake of being butthurt.

Somebody get this man a Codex membership!

(Notice, by the way, the "devs will not listen to player input" line. In other words, "I informed the devs how they should make their game and they refused to instantly comply with my demands! How DARE they!")

Zdzisiu

Arcane
He makes some very good points about game mechanics, with crafting in particular not being as developed as it could have been, but is also a whiny fuckstick unwilling to acknowledge that the game is enjoyable while focusing on some frankly fairly minor issues for the sake of being butthurt.

Somebody get this man a Codex membership!

(Notice, by the way, the "devs will not listen to player input" line. In other words, "I informed the devs how they should make their game and they refused to instantly comply with my demands! How DARE they!")
The funniest thing about the "Devs don't listen!" ? The fact that Styg actually listens, case in point being the major shift from RT to TB combat.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Crafting is underdeveloped?
:what:
Did Styg completely revamp the crafting system in one of the latest builds that I didn't play or are Eyeball and that steam troll talking out of their arses?
Crafting wasn't as op as in Skyturd but that's :incline:, not :decline:.
And it was still op when I played it (half a year ago or so), because you could much better finetune your equipment to your build's needs that way than with the random ready-made equipment you find. The ingredients often had better boni too.
Which was fine btw, I felt rewarded for investing points in crafting but not overly punished (because more points to distribute on other stuff on levelup) when I neglected most of it.
Then again this game is all about the crafting system, don't plan a build without it, that would just diminish the fun imo.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
He is right about the vendors though, even as a nitpick.

Vendors are fine, it always bugged me that even the most exclusive upper class merchants in most other games buy the shittiest crap from you by the dozens for 1 copper a piece. This system makes much more sense, that merchants only want items they might sell themselves and only in limited demand. If you think it is too little, get some mercantile and Salesman feat and you should barely notice it anymore.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
If the vendors allowed you to sell everything you really would get too rich too quick. It's not an elegant solution to economy, but it works.

And crafting is excellent, what the fuck.

Whiran

Magister
I like that the person who wrote that review has 71.8 hours played in the game.

Then they claim that the game isn't worth it.

They have a very messed up value system for gaming.

Sykar

Arcane
If the vendors allowed you to sell everything you really would get too rich too quick. It's not an elegant solution to economy, but it works.

And crafting is excellent, what the fuck.

How is it not elegant? It certainly is more "elegant" than the idiotic "I buy everything at any price from you" retarded economy systems we have in the vast majority of games. It just takes a little bit more effort now.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
How is it not elegant?

It's not elegant because it doesn't quite make sense in a logical way. But it's fine because it need not be logical if it's a matter of balance. I'd prefer the balance of inventory over the reality of trade.

Sykar

Arcane
How is it not elegant?

It's not elegant because it doesn't quite make sense in a logical way. But it's fine because it need not be logical if it's a matter of balance. I'd prefer the balance of inventory over the reality of trade.

How is it not logical? How is it less logical than what they do in other games? It makes perfect sense that traders do NOT want to buy every piece of shit you have. It also makes sense that they also do not want to buy basically infinite amounts of the stuff they are interested in. The system makes more sense than any other system present.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Jesus fucking christ, dude. I'm not going to argue with somebody who's defending the same game mechanic as me. Go take your fucking asperger pills ffs.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Styg has been pretty open to outside criticism, the transition from real time to turn based should be proof enough of that.
If Elhzzared didn't wrote that review, it was one of its followers. If Underrail is "the next fallout" because it lacks casual features, than fuck off and play fallout 3.

ST'Ranger

Augur
Gentlemen, I have some bad news. Underrail was set to be the game of the decade. The Burning Harbinger of Incline was destined to top the Codex Best lists for the next 20 years. After managing the impossible and accepting the torch of the venerable Fallout, Underrail was to live in the minds of men for countless ages hence - an immortal diamond of RPG greatness.

But it has come to my attention that in this singleplayer game, the player can make multiple character builds - some of which are not equivalent in effectiveness to others! Unfortunately this problem just makes the game completely unplayable so we'll have to give it a negative review.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom