Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I'm making a series of character building help videos at the moment and, since the update for underrail came recently and I'm totally in love with this game, I've decided to start with it:

I'm hardly the good talker, but if you want to teach someone a proper character building in underrail, this video should do the trick. I hope.

I decided to check out your guide watched the whole thing. Thank you, it is excellent and informative! REALLY makes me want to play but I have been resisting since I toyed with the alpha.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
It really, really, really bums me out that the douchebag news team (re: Infinitron) here have been largely dismissing this game in favor of high-profile, big budget, hyped-up and failing garbage like Wasteland 2 and uninspired, yet high-profile dull garbage like Project Eternity when Underrail is easily the best game in the genre in years.

Last edited:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
It really, really, really bums me out that the douchebag news team (re: Infinitron) here have been largely dismissing this game in favor of high-profile, big budget, hyped-up and failing garbage like Wasteland 2 and uninspired, yet high-profile dull garbage like Project Eternity when Underrail is easily the best game in the genre in years.
personally i find dos better than underrail, despite me not liking fantasy all that much, but yeah, it's definitely among the better titles to come out in recent times. anyhoo, you could, y'know, actually try asking somebody who can post news and isn't me('cos sleep time now) nicely rather than be an ass about it... maybe use the contact us link on the main page, since somebody is bound to read that at least once per day and it's how people usually notify staff of things like that...
i might type something up if you haven't found some gullible sheep by the time i wake up...

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
anyhoo, you could, y'know, actually try asking somebody who can post news and isn't me('cos sleep time now) nicely rather than be an ass about it... maybe use the contact us link on the main page, since somebody is bound to read that at least once per day and it's how people usually notify staff of things like that...

Before you typed up this bit, did you consider that I might have already done this or...?

p.s. there is absolutely nothing better about D:OS than Underrail other than "Hurrrbudget" though it is a current decade favorite of mine as well. It's still fairly shallow in comparison to many of Underrails' strengths (which happen to be everything but dialogue, imo).

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Before you typed up this bit, did you consider that I might have already done this or...?
you most certainly haven't dropped us a line via contact form, 'cos i don't see anything about underrail in there other than the gameplay vid styg informed us about that was then posted by du two years ago.
p.s. there is absolutely nothing better about D:OS than Underrail other than "Hurrrbudget" though it is a current decade favorite of mine as well. It's still fairly shallow in comparison to many of Underrails' strengths (which happen to be everything but dialogue, imo).
map. shortcut portals. two fully customizable party members that can act independently from the start. lots of utility in the form of ports and environmental interaction again right from the start.

map is pretty darn important, especially when you want to drop a game for a while and then pick it up again. games shouldn't force you to commit some irrelevant details to long-term memory with bad design.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
you most certainly haven't dropped us a line via contact form, 'cos i don't see anything about underrail in there other than the gameplay vid styg informed us about that was then posted by du two years ago.

I sent Infinitron a message. Anyway, having a map isn't all too important to me since last time I checked they were all up on the Underrail wiki page and I've only really been in need of looking once in three alpha/beta playthroughs. Again, D:OS is shaping up to be great and it has things about it which are unique to it, but then again...the combat, items, barter system and especially crafting in Underrail has no peer, afaic.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Underrail also happens to be the first game since Fallout 2 which truly has a feel of actual exploration. And to me, that is key.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
I sent Infinitron a message.
in future, drop stuff like that in contact us, because there more people will see it and the chance that somebody finds it postworthy will be higher. anyhoo i am writing it now. mentioned energy shields, oddity xp, new urban area, crafting additions, feat tweaks and additions, and popamole's build vid. anything else that changed and is somewhat noteworthy?
Again, D:OS is shaping up to be great and it has things about it which are unique to it, but then again...the combat, items, barter system and especially crafting in Underrail has no peer, afaic.
sure, but that's not quite the same as dos not being in any way better other than budget, now is it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
...Underrail is easily the best game in the genre in years.
This.

How come the Codex collects tens of thousands for KS games they haven't played, but not for Underrail which should be THE OFFICIAL CODEX RPG because it has all the features we wanted for years (unlike AoD) and it gets better and better with every update. Imagine what Styg can do with extra 10k.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
How come the Codex collects tens of thousands for KS games they haven't played, but not for Underrail which should be THE OFFICIAL CODEX RPG because it has all the features we wanted for years (unlike AoD) and it gets better and better with every update. Imagine what Styg can do with extra 10k.
would you have accepted a codexian offer for 1 or 2 k to input some grossly inapropriate codex reference into your game, giving up a bit of creative control for our lulz?

Vault Dweller

Developer
I'm not talking about some stupid statue or monsters. I'm talking about collecting 10k for a proven (talking about what he's delivered so far, one update at a time) developer and giving it to him so that he can improve the game the way he sees fit, since we're all enjoying it and looking forward to the next updates.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
I'm talking about collecting 10k for a proven (talking about what he's delivered so far, one update at a time) developer and giving it to him so that he can improve the game the way he sees fit
sure, i'd be down with that, but annie and brian are proven somewhat high profile developers and we barely managed 1.4k with promised ingame references. this might have an actual game to show but said game is 2d and from somebody otherwise completely unknown. i don't think it would end up supported by anybody who hasn't bought multiple copies already since most people do judge books by their covers...

I'm talking about collecting 10k for a proven (talking about what he's delivered so far, one update at a time) developer and giving it to him so that he can improve the game the way he sees fit
sure, i'd be down with that, but annie and brian are proven somewhat high profile developers and we barely managed 1.4k with promised ingame references. this might have an actual game to show but said game is 2d and from somebody otherwise completely unknown. i don't think it would end up supported by anybody who hasn't bought multiple copies already since most people do judge books by their covers...

Underrail looks great for its budget.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
sure, but that's not quite the same as dos not being in any way better other than budget, now is it.

Whatever, I was drunk.

And I explained to you that I'm not personally following this project. I guess I should have given you a quest arrow pointing towards the Contact form, sorry

You need a dumbfuck tag? Obviously I was asking you as a representative of the news team, and not whether or not you were personally invested. Since I could see you were online and thought it'd be easy, I asked you. Obviously the wrong choice.

A crystal clear sign of how popamole, mainstream and decline this place has become.

Vault Dweller

Developer
sure, i'd be down with that, but annie and brian are proven somewhat high profile developers and we barely managed 1.4k with promised ingame references.
If I have to guess, that's because faith was running very low at that point. When Brian took the game to KS, he offered nothing but videos, his name, and a lot of questions. Styg's been steadily hammering for years, offering a demo and a shitload of updates. No other developer is more deserving of the Codex money than Styg (who also happens to be a great guy).

... this might have an actual game to show but said game is 2d and from somebody otherwise completely unknown. i don't think it would end up supported by anybody who hasn't bought multiple copies already since most people do judge books by their covers...
Well, it's a shame then that people would rather pay for an island (le fuck?) in the Serpents game, which may or may not be any good, but not to help make an already great game better.

I wish all the money (not much though) I gave for W2 went to Styg now. I'll try to give him more in the future though, if my financial situation improves. But for 10$ he's practically giving it away considering the quality and what he offers - spiritual successor to Fallout 1&2 finally.

Don't know how's NMA these days, but those guys should be all over this game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Is Underrail holding a crowdfunding campaign? If not, then same reason we haven't collected "tens of thousands" for AoD.

Also, don't be so humble.

veryalien

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014
Going to take the plunge. I know the demo didn't run on my win 8 installation but I figure the main game should.

Koschey

Arcane
It's arguable wether or not collecting 10k for a game without a crowdfunding campaign is a good idea, but I'd think at the very least updates to the downloadable alpha would be worthy of a news post. You can't tell me all of the news staff is unaware of updates on this wet dream of a game.

And I explained to you that I'm not personally following this project.

:decline: of Infinitron.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Styg hasn't asked for money or run a crowdfunding campaign. I guess it would be nice if the codex could just spontaneously decide to give developers 10k, but that seems a little unrealistic.

It does deserve news posts when it updates though.

Vault Dweller

Developer

Is Underrail holding a crowdfunding campaign? If not, then same reason we haven't collected "tens of thousands" for AoD.
What the fuck does that suppose to do with anything (and why drag AoD into it)?

Are you saying that the locals can only support a developer who's running a crowdfunding campaign but not a developer who actually deserves it? The mind boggles.

Also, don't be so humble.
I'm not being humble. I'm very proud of AoD, but my pride doesn't blind me. I'm well aware of what the game is and isn't. AoD isn't Fallout's spiritual successor. Underrail is. We wanted to experiment and focus on urban intrigues and storytelling via text-adventure. Styg focused on what worked well in Fallout (as well as what was missing) and made everything very robust and rock-fucking-solid. Hard not to admire the effort and the game.

You and I talked about explorations in RPGs in the past and your point was that it's a strong and much needed element. Well, there is very little exploration in AoD, yet in Underrail it's a very strong, well developed aspect. Etc.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Styg hasn't asked for money or run a crowdfunding campaign.
But does he deserve more money?

Anyway, forget it. I'll go and buy a few more copies on Steam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom