Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

veryalien

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014
I'm all for more coverage of Underrail if it's the incline we've all been seeking but this idea that we should raise funds for... an area in the game? Maybe Styg does not want to be involved in all this crowd sourcing shenanigans.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Pretty sure he *did* have a crowdfunder just not on KS. I'm either remembering pledging to that or else it was some sort of other "pre-order, buy the alpha to help make the game" thing that I'm remembering.

but this idea that we should raise funds for... an area in the game? Maybe Styg does not want to be involved in all this crowd sourcing shenanigans.

Nobody is saying this. Literally nobody.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
But does he deserve more money?

Anyway, forget it. I'll go and buy a few more copies on Steam.
He's made enough money on steam to hire 2 more people to work with him. So I think he's doing pretty well.

Yes he probably deserves even more money and success since I think he's made the best RPG in years, but a person has to ask for something if he wants it.

If we really wanted to help him, I think raising the game's profile would be more helpful than than 10k dollars.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Well Styg seems to be pretty well off now with steam monies as he was able to hire new people on the game, so collecting money now doesn't make that big of a difference. Still, before steam it would have been more useful but we've only had campaigns for crowdfunded games, I guess they have this bigger momentum than non-crowdfunded games. Actually, it's a way different situation to jump on the bandwagon when devs ask for money, than go to some random dev and ask "heyyy, we can gather this bucket of money for you, now give us free games and in-game dildooos!"

EDIT: he did a crowdfunding campaign? Wasn't even aware of that :D Still, my point stands

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
You can't tell me all of the news staff is unaware of updates on this wet dream of a game.
infinitron is not interested also busy, crooked bee is very busy, du is always busy, not sure about rest, and i am just lazy plus stopped following because FINISH THE DAMN GAME SO I CAN PLAY FULLY ALREADY.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I'm not being humble. I'm very proud of AoD, but my pride doesn't blind me. I'm well aware of what the game is and isn't. AoD isn't Fallout's spiritual successor. Underrail is. We wanted to experiment and focus on urban intrigues and storytelling via text-adventure.

And that's what I love about AoD: it's dares to go off the beaten path and takes risks in trying something different. Even with all the freedom of crowdfunding and the promise of doing things their way, there aren't many games that dare to take risks.

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I'm all for more coverage of Underrail if it's the incline we've all been seeking but this idea that we should raise funds for... an area in the game?
For nothing. For the developer who clearly knows what he's doing to do with as he pleases. A mind blowing concept, I know.

Just bought the game to support the incline.

So infini does most of the newsposting and because he doesn't follow this game personally we don't get newsposts about it? That's not really ideal. News isn't just for you infini.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
But does he deserve more money?

Anyway, forget it. I'll go and buy a few more copies on Steam.
He's made enough money on steam to hire 2 more people to work with him. So I think he's doing pretty well.
Unlike Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, Divinity, etc?

Yes he probably deserves even more money and success since I think he's made the best RPG in years, but a person has to ask for something if he wants it.
Why? Do you only do something for a person if he/she asks for it? Every time I see a new update, I think "fuck, this is awesome, this guy deserves more money/help". In fact, what Styg does with the game, the way he improves and develops it, the way he responds to criticism, is what I hoped that KS projects would do. Oh well...

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Back in the alpha demo I was boggled by the level of depth. Styg and team seem determined and focussed; recent updates have brought major amounts of content and systems addition and refinement. They seem to know exactly how to go about building Underrail, which is more than we can say for most indie or crowd funded games covered here.

The answer is in hand, really. Buy the game. Gift copies if you can, and FFS let's (codex) take an active interest in demonstrated incline.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sorry - I should've posted about it (Infinitron can't be expected to post everything all by himself, he's responsible for shitloads of content already), but I was busy at the time and simply linked the latest update on Twitter instead thinking I might do a proper newspost about it later, and then got distracted by stuffies.

Also if someone wants to bring attention to an update, the best idea is to use the Contact Us form - that way it becomes more visible for the staff, and also lets us know you want it to be posted about. This applies not just to Underrail, of course.

Last edited:

dextermorgan

Arcane
It's on steam for $10. Can't get more accessible or cheaper than that so that's not much reward for raising funds.

Now if there was a way to get Codexian content in for 10k and the dev wanted to do it, sure.
I'm sure the game is very reasonably priced. Still, every key redeemed will inch the ratings up and increase visibility for the game, so that's a neat alternative to collecting cash just because. Which I also don't have a problem with, but Styg might.

veryalien

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014
Any recommendations for a newb build? I got the game to work by frantically clicking at startup to skip whatever it's doing that causes crash on startup.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well Twinkie is right that staff is lazy in reporting about this game. Bad bad Infinitron.

So infini does most of the newsposting and because he doesn't follow this game personally we don't get newsposts about it? That's not really ideal. News isn't just for you infini.

The perception that "this guy posts lots of news" tends to rapidly shift to the perception that "this guys posts ALL of the news", I've found.

Anyway, I also found that Underrail's dev log has an RSS feed, so I'm subscribed to that now. Looks like updates aren't super frequent so maybe I can add this to my busy schedule.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Let this thread stand as proof-positive that broad-brushing the news team as ambivalent douchebags in the best way to get your project covered here at the RPG Codex. :troll:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I have no idea of the flow of Underrail's budget but I wonder if this doesn't work to its advantage. In film I've noticed that a low budget and/or working under censorship allows some artists to work around these constraints in creative ways. So I wonder if the constraint of limited ressources, at least at the start, doesn't push game developpers like Styg, or VD for that matter, to have a very precise no-nonsense vision of the work to do and its objectives, especially compared to crowdfunding when people end up with a considerable sum of money from the start and often do not know how to manage it and waste parts of it on frivolous stuff.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Once again, anger proves to be the best fuel for firing up a Codex thread.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Dammit, part of one of those posts got tossed. Redo:

You know what's insanely fun?

Setting traps around the Ironhead gangers' alarm switches, stealth shooting them, and then letting them destroy themselves on the way to the alarm. HA!
Also: Just got my first shield emitter! :negative: So awesome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom