Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Define Very Short.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
i'm gonna give you the benefit of doubt, assume you meant that as in spiritual successor to f1+2, and answer "nor really". the fallouts were mostly storyfag games, this is so far less about story c&c, more about mechanical c&c and gameplay.

Disappointing.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't be so sure. I might have said the same about myself at one point too. You'd be surprised at how well a person reacts to well-implemented versions of things they didn't think they cared about.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm a big story C&C guy, especially when it comes to faction play. If this game isn't really about that I then I am disappointed. Simple as that.

Still will probably play it.
This game is sort of like if Fallout and Deus Ex had a kid. The vast number of approaches which are enabled and informed by your stats is amazing.

Also, Styg has hired a writer to help beef up that aspect of the game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This game is sort of like if Fallout and Deus Ex had a kid. The vast number of approaches which are enabled and informed by your stats is amazing.

Sounds good. I'll definitely keep waiting a bit then, to see what comes of the new writer.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Whoa just started playing. Can't believe how solid the combat in Underrail Alpha is compared to Wasteland 2 - W2 feels so half baked after playing this. Styg has put the whole team to shame.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Think I'll give this one a shot this afternoon. I'm often not very interested in purely combatfag games (nor purely storyfag either; I like there to be some balance between the two), but if this is even half as good as implied here, it might just do the trick.

Elthosian

Arcane
Whoa just started playing. Can't believe how solid the combat in Underrail Alpha is compared to Wasteland 2 - W2 feels so half baked after playing this. Styg has put the whole team to shame.

Underrail's combat makes pretty much everything else feel half baked.

Think I'll give this one a shot this afternoon. I'm often not very interested in purely combatfag games (nor purely storyfag either; I like there to be some balance between the two), but if this is even half as good as implied here, it might just do the trick.

It's not really 100% combat, as of now it's isometric Deus Ex sans plot, most quests can be completed making use of stealth, which tends to be quite enjoyable due to the fact Styg (unlike most devs) is smart enough to notice that stealth in WRPGs isn't worth shit unless you have a level design that supports it.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

Hope he adds the same level of subterfuge options that Deus Ex had. I remember when I was younger playing Deus Ex for the third time, only to realise then, that you could kill Hermann by speaking a kill word. No game has ever rewarded you for being so cunning as Deus Ex did.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
This game is unlike any of the fallouts in terms of C&C, the writing in Underrail is admittedly poor, the characterization non-existent and the world design "lore wise" is also bare bones essential.

What makes underrail a great game is the gameplay, the combat, the exploration feeling, the character development and the crafting system, it all adds up to an amazing experience.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
So all the game would need in order to become a jewel from a gemstone (from all the fapping here) is to have some decent writing and crafty narrative design. Is that the intent for the final product to any degree? Honest question, I haven't followed this game at all so far (and can't check the games site at the moment).

Kem0sabe

Arcane
So all the game would need in order to become a jewel from a gemstone (from all the fapping here) is to have some decent writing and crafty narrative design. Is that the intent for the final product to any degree? Honest question, I haven't followed this game at all so far (and can't check the games site at the moment).

The best writing i have seen lately in an rpg his being written by Irontower for Age of Decadence, these guys have done an amazing job portraying characters and their game world with no (i think) previous experience as professional writers. So i dont think underrail needs professional help to build a solid C&C experience, but it does need someone talented who is willing to spend time writing and building up the characters and the world to good standards and that would probably mean a big delay in production.

As we can see from their updates (Stygian), everything is focused around the gameplay and new areas, with little to no focus on the C&C, so i think thats not a priority, and even if it was, considering the game is slated to be released this year, they should be showing much more on that front than what they have done so far.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
This game is unlike any of the fallouts in terms of C&C, the writing in Underrail is admittedly poor.

I'd have to disagree. There's actually a pretty nice handful of C&C even at this stage and the writing is much improved. There's one encounter I can think of which is absolutely on par with some of the best branching outcomes in a cRPG I've seen and many encounters which made me genuinely laugh out loud or say "Great job!" If I had to guess I'd say you've not played the most recent update yet.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
This game is unlike any of the fallouts in terms of C&C, the writing in Underrail is admittedly poor.

I'd have to disagree. There's actually a pretty nice handful of C&C even at this stage and the writing is much improved. There's one encounter I can think of which is absolutely on par with some of the best branching outcomes in a cRPG I've seen and many encounters which made me genuinely laugh out loud or say "Great job!" If I had to guess I'd say you've not played the most recent update yet.

Haven't played any of the recent updates beyond when they first implemented the artifact system for exp. So i'm sure to have missed a lot of improvements.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

Haven't played any of the recent updates beyond when they first implemented the artifact system for exp. So i'm sure to have missed a lot of improvements.

Same. The oddity advancement system is cool indeed.

Loriac

Arcane
Also chiming in to say this game is great and gets better as the updates progress. I was a bit shocked to see that steam shows I've logged over 100 hours on it over time, playing around with different builds etc. It beats out most AAA titles for playability, game mechanics and fun and its not even in beta yet(!) I hope the game finds a wide enough audience that Styg is able to develop more expansions / content for it over time too, post release.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Also chiming in to say this game is great and gets better as the updates progress. I was a bit shocked to see that steam shows I've logged over 100 hours on it over time, playing around with different builds etc. It beats out most AAA titles for playability, game mechanics and fun and its not even in beta yet(!) I hope the game finds a wide enough audience that Styg is able to develop more expansions / content for it over time too, post release.
Yeah I am quite impressed with how much content there is right now. If it does end up being delayed at this stage it can only get even better. No one will remember if the game was delayed, they'll only remember whether it's good. Won't they Rome II?

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Yesterday I finally tried out UnderRail and it's amazing. I've played for about five hours so far and loved every minute of it. The game just oozes atmosphere and the combat is great. Keep up the good work, Styg!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom