Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
Could be a sprinkler system.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bizarre underground environmental effects reflecting severe uninhabitable storms on the surface?

Residuals from a giant water balloon fight that the cops are here to investigate?

The tears of a thousand Codexers waiting patiently but not unemotionally for this masterpiece of a game to be complete?

Last edited:

curry

Arcane
Rain? Did the artist not realize UnderRail takes place underground? :lol:

Moisture, water dripping from plumbing or some other liquid dripping from ceiling pipes etc.?

mystery.gif

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The tears of a thousand Codexers waiting patiently but not unemotionally for this masterpiece of a game to be complete?

It's practically complete as-is, there's a ton of content and replayability already.

I started a new sledgehammer/armor guy, and boy, the beginning of the game is absurdly easy (and much faster) compared to a gun/psi user. You just charge around popping moles. You still do need to pay heed to positioning and smart use of abilities and resources, not to mention watch out for knife users, but all in all it's pretty fun.

I finally figured out that using nets on psi beetles makes whomping them a piece of cake. It never really occurred to me to use them while playing guns/psi, because I could catch the hoppers using stealth, I regarded nets as a sort of emergency item, and I was ranged myself.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Oh.

Metal armor also requires Tailoring to make, cool. That's cool, I didn't invest in Tailoring.

I'll just uh, start the game over then. No problem, h-heh heh... cool.

:rage:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Or use character editor if there's any...
It was pretty handy when tested WL2 from recen examples.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Yeah, I could easily do without Biology and simply purchase the drugs I need. That's the one I'd initially thought of doing without, but I thought that Tailoring was for cloth and leather armor. I didn't realize there was not only an undervest but that it also required Tailoring until I got the blueprint.

At this point I'll probably actually just buy armor and hope there are decent suits for sale.

Elthosian

Arcane
Yeah, I could easily do without Biology and simply purchase the drugs I need. That's the one I'd initially thought of doing without, but I thought that Tailoring was for cloth and leather armor. I didn't realize there was not only an undervest but that it also required Tailoring until I got the blueprint.

At this point I'll probably actually just buy armor and hope there are decent suits for sale.

Then again you need Biology if you want to use high quality animal parts to improve your armor, Styg is truly a master of making you waste precious points out of petty whims.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Yes, the interdependence of some skills can be aggravating. For example, the "smart routes" through a fair few quests/scenarios call for not only stealth, but also lockpicking or hacking and possibly pickpocketing, or even all three. What's that you say? You're a stealthy, lightly armored psi user with speech skills? Go fuck yourself, mate. Enjoy running into skill walls and never being able to access vents whenever you sneak around someplace.

Armored melee is (in my experience so far) by far the best at fighting, and much faster to play with since it doesn't have to creep everywhere. That's good for it, considering that fighting is constant and unavoidable in this game. On my psi playthrough I had yet to see a shield emitter for sale (bad luck in the Junkard electronics shop, I suppose), which I've since determined was a major factor in the extreme old-school difficulty I'd been experiencing on that playthrough.

Dodge and Evasion should be rolled into one skill, I think. It's unfair to lightly-armored characters that NOT wearing armor is such a skill hog. It's certainly realistic (except for the dodging bullets bit), since acrobatically avoiding attacks would take actual skill as opposed to wearing a giant tin can, but this is a game, not a reality simulator. I do believe that the game is significantly easier for armored characters because of Dodge and Evasion hogging skill points, and even with Dodge and Evasion, they offer nowhere near the survivability of heavy armor.

Then again, I'm only about halfway through the beta (level 11-12). Maybe things will be different later on.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I'm not exaggerating in any way when I say that this game stands on the same podium with the likes of Fallout. Its only genuine shortcomings are weaker/sparser dialog, story, and characterization; it also seems fairly light on C&C, but it arguably makes up for all that with a superior combat system, in-depth crafting, a more balanced system of attributes, skills, and feats in which few of them (except for speech skills, which seem almost completely useless) are worthless, a lot of interesting and intricate mechanics, et cetera. These systems are extremely well-implemented, such as the stealth system, which is powerful when used properly but carefully kept in check to restrict egregious exploitation. I haven't even encountered a single bug or crash yet, that I know of. That's definitely one-up on the Fallout games.

"Incline" isn't enough to describe this game. Mere incline is simply a phenomenon wherein a post-millennial game strives to reach a long-lost peak, but ultimately is forced to strike camp and head back to the base of the mountain. Absolutely none, not even one, have stood on the summit... until now. Not only does this game stand with Fallout, it was largely made by one man with only a computer, MS Paint, and a burning desire to simulate murdering people and taking all their stuff in a frightening and alien world.

There is no existing word for a post-millennial game that has actually ascended the summit, because it's never happened before. There was no need for one.

That word's time has come, at least as far as I'm concerned: preStygious.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
There is no existing word for a post-millennial game that has actually ascended the summit, because it's never happened before. There was no need for one.

:excellent:

epeli

Arcane
Blaine
Yeah, heavily armored characters in general are much more forgiving in direct combat than stealthy glass cannons. Shield emitters should come into play after you're done with Junkyard and have found the drill parts.

IMO lightly armored characters are not meant to be as tough in direct combat as heavily armored juggernauts, it takes a different playstyle. Your defense doesn't offer much room for error, so you can't just rely on that, though medium armors help with survivability a lot without giving too heavy penalties if you have Nimble feat. But each combat encounter takes a bit of planning and perfect execution, so heavies definitely have it easier.

The two key strengths for light armor are stealth and movement points. You get great opener attacks from stealth and you get to choose when and how you initiate combat, that's a massive tactical advantage. And of course you could just sneak past hard encounters and come back later. Move points help you keep the positioning advantage in combat. I realized my love for insanely fast characters when I found out I could run away fast enough to disengage from combat or kite any enemy as long as I want! Traps are also awesome with stealth, I feel they're severely underrated.

I think the well-executed gameplay mechanics and lack of bugs/crashes arise from the fact that Styg took the time and effort to create his own game engine, instead of taking the easy way out and using off-the-shelf software like Unity. That's one thing I really respect. Of course bug reports from us alpha players also help a little bit. ;)

I wish I could brofist that. :salute:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Traps and ambushes are the way to play sneaky/lightly armored characters. Traps are brutally effective when used properly.
But there were a few places that wont allow you to do this efficiently.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The Achille's heel of sledgehammer users is Crippling Strike. Holy crap, it's annoying. A fully armored and shielded man pecked to death by some hobo with a switchblade? What a world.

But wait, what's this?

d920db3547.png

I just had to blow up my own shields to get rid of a mugger in Core City. Thanks, Styg. There goes another battery.

epeli

Arcane
I thought Burrowers were the Achilles' heel of heavy melee dudes. I guess the recently buffed throwing nets help with that?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I thought Burrowers were the Achilles' heel of heavy melee dudes. I guess the recently buffed throwing nets help with that?

A strong enough shield emitter to block their darts (and thus poison) makes them a piece of cake. I'd been avoiding them until Rail Crossing, at which point I was powerful enough to just barge in and pop moles at will.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Why is the game so cheap? Sure looks pretty good. Or is it only the "preorder/early access" price? I will probably feel bad - it sounds like it's worth more.

epeli

Arcane

A strong enough shield emitter to block their darts (and thus poison) makes them a piece of cake. I'd been avoiding them until Rail Crossing, at which point I was powerful enough to just barge in and pop moles at will.

So you had to avoid them early on!
I5aSFr4.jpg

But yeah, good gear can solve a lot of problems... triple reinforced metal armor could also completely block burrower darts, and later on it's even possible to get >100% mechanical resistance with a high-quality crafted tungsten armor set.

Why is the game so cheap? Sure looks pretty good. Or is it only the "preorder/early access" price? I will probably feel bad - it sounds like it's worth more.
Underrail is a priceless piece of art, its true value cannot be simply measured in currency. :obviously: Seriously though, I guess a game has to be cheap when its marketing budget is limited to the word of codexers and it hasn't gone viral. No idea if Styg's going to increase the pricetag when it's done.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
So you had to avoid them early on!

I don't know if I strictly had to or not, because I didn't even try. I just figured I'd be better off coming back to deal with them later. On my first playthrough as psi, after the GMS compound, I used Persuade to get the keycard back and got to experience the joys of little shits dealing 12 damage a hundred thousand times in a row, and then Mom coming around the corner to finish me off.

I somehow doubt that psi or stealth (or both) would fare any better than melee, unless traps are used.

I think it's half-off until release. I bought it ages ago, so I dunno. As far as the why of it, maybe it's to encourage people to try it. I'd pay $60 for this before I bought a AAA bloomfest for $1, that's for sure.

This game is too hard for the unwashed masses, anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom