Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

MD84

Barely Literate
This game looks really interesting. I am following with interest.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm up to 1,103 words and 2 custom images. JarlFrank's preview was about 2,200 words... I'm guessing this one will top 3,000 with the addition of an explanation of the crafting system, the UI, and excessive verbosity, the latter of which may or may not be axed during the review process. :salute:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
excessive verbosity, the latter of which may or may not be axed during the review process.

On the 'dex, excessive verbosity is considered a plus.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. :lol:

1bd3c3813c.png

Not pictured: Eight images. I just need to write a quick segment about the UI, add my final conclusions, and it'll be done.

epeli

Arcane
Ooh, very nice. Gotta read this.
That was really well written, Blaine! You managed to cover all the glory of Underrail without sounding like a fanboy. :salute:

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I really, really want to do a proper "stealth guy" playthrough now, but unfortunately, even the best cRPGs are "ablative"... each playthrough diminishes the enjoyment of the next, until you tire of the game, either permanently or for a period of years. It's better to hold off until release.

Still, Underrail is one of only a very few games that I've wanted to replay immediately after finishing it. It's sort of like the phenomenon in which when you've finished eating a huge meal, you've become so full that the very sight or thought of food is nauseating... yet some foods are so delicious, you might still want to cram a few bites in, despite being stuffed.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I really, really want to do a proper "stealth guy" playthrough now, but unfortunately, even the best cRPGs are "ablative"... each playthrough diminishes the enjoyment of the next, until you tire of the game, either permanently or for a period of years. It's better to hold off until release.

Still, Underrail is one of only a very few games that I've wanted to replay immediately after finishing it. It's sort of like the phenomenon in which when you've finished eating a huge meal, you've become so full that the very sight or thought of food is nauseating... yet some foods are so delicious, you might still want to cram a few bites in, despite being stuffed.

blamzooie

Educated

Lovely write up.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Portraits and Music

Hey guys. I've put the game mechanics aside for now and we're all focused on churning out content for the following update.

In this update we will be rounding up almost entire game world outside of Church of Tchort and Deep Caverns. Player will be able to learn more about the Protectorate and Free Drones and the conflict between them. Optionally, player can decide to throw in their lot with either the freedom loving partisans or the imperialistic lawbringers. There's also another secret faction offerring more opportunity for those observant enough.

In other news, I finally took the time to fill some long outstanding holes in the presentation department.

Firstly, I hired an artist to do the portraits. There's lots of them to be drawn so don't expect them all to be finished in the next update. In the screenshot above you can see the portraits are lit in the same manner as the characters on the map. I find that this adds to the atmosphere, but this can be disabled in the options for those who disagree. Players can also make their own custom portraits and the game will offer them on character creation if they have been placed in the appropriate folder and are of appropriate format.

Secondly, it was time to expand the musical repertoire. With only four tracks covering the numerous and diverse locations of Underrail, the music tended to get quite repetitive. As with the portraits, don't expect us to be able to cover the entire game with new music immediately. The sample above is the music for the Foundry. Enjoy.

Finally, here's the obligatory list of minor stuff:

• Nice things
    • Enemies will now threaten and taunt you in combat. Currently all have the same collection of phrases, but we plan to customize these in the future for different characters/factions/locations. We'll be looking for feedback on these - do the taunts occur too frequently/rarely, is there some particular taunt that is repeated too often, etc. Of course, for those who don't like this sort of stuff, it can be disabled in the options.
  • Fixes
    • Electrobolts will no longer jump to passive objects that are completely immune to them (e.g. destructible rocks)
    • You can no longer load individual bullets during combat as stated by the tooltip
    • Removed various leathers that were way too high quality for their type from certain stores
    • Burst fire will no longer trigger hostilities against secondary targets caught in the burst cone unless they actually take damage
    • Arena commentator will no longer order everyone in Core City to kill you if you happen to aim your burst in his general direction
  • Tweaks
    • Crawlers buffed and their AI has been slightly tweaked

Let me know what you thought of the new stuff, guys. Cheers.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer

Ugh, that's so generic and uninspired and nothing like the other tracks in the game. Sure, they are pretty simple, minimalistic even, but they're also quiet, a bit drawn out and eery. Which was cool and suited the atmosphere of the game perfectly - Underrail is an extremely eery place. The best was probably that Azuridae theme (which always sounded near the Psyshrooms).

While this is... It took me a couple of sits to listen to the entire track because it's just so-o-o mindnumbingly boring. And those pseudo-piano accords near the end are especially insulting because, once again, they're just way, way too generic. Woooh, let's add an epic touch! And the rhythm is obviously faster than the other tracks (but I guess you'll just scrap them altogether) and the atmosphere is more "serious". Yuck.

I guess your average listener won't care at all, but for an ambient connoisseur that is incredibly disappointing. Well, at least I have my collection so I'll just play with the music turned of, not the biggest problem ever.

Elthosian

Arcane
Damn fine portraits, honestly I expected something much worse but your artist nailed it just right.

Wasteland 2
Pope Amole is overreacting over music imo, it's nice enough for me and expecting masterpieces in such a low budged game is silly.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
imo portraits are great, but they now starkly contrast the artstyle of the tiles/environment. music is too little ambient, too much in your face.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Styg finally bought your game, but just left it on the steam shelf until the development ends. Hopefully soon :)

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I like those two portraits very much. A little background variation would be great also.
I like the the music as well.
God damn it... UnderRail is another game I'll have to buy it and not pirate it.
You folks dry me out

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

Ugh, that's so generic and uninspired and nothing like the other tracks in the game. Sure, they are pretty simple, minimalistic even, but they're also quiet, a bit drawn out and eery. Which was cool and suited the atmosphere of the game perfectly - Underrail is an extremely eery place. The best was probably that Azuridae theme (which always sounded near the Psyshrooms).

While this is... It took me a couple of sits to listen to the entire track because it's just so-o-o mindnumbingly boring. And those pseudo-piano accords near the end are especially insulting because, once again, they're just way, way too generic. Woooh, let's add an epic touch! And the rhythm is obviously faster than the other tracks (but I guess you'll just scrap them altogether) and the atmosphere is more "serious". Yuck.

I guess your average listener won't care at all, but for an ambient connoisseur that is incredibly disappointing. Well, at least I have my collection so I'll just play with the music turned of, not the biggest problem ever.

That's a little harsh. The biggest difference is that the other tunes are beatless ambient, which I agree are very good at staying back-stage while setting the mood and vibe of the setting. This new tune develops a pulse which is quite different, though it is still in a similar style. I like the use of the horns... In a vacuum it fits though it is a departure from the rest.

My suggestion would be to use this new tune where a pulse is called for - a show-down or boss battle. When everywhere else is beatless (excellent) ambiemt atmospherics, having a pulse in one area is unusual and unless the situation calls for it the player will wonder why the music is different there.

I say all this without any understanding of what happens in that area in the video (I'm trying not to spoil). If it's a pivotal point in the plot it's just fine.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom