Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail is actually quite good

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
UR is like a high quality plate of eggs with only half a slice of burnt bacon; or the bacon with only a hint of egg. It’s very good for what it is, but I can’t escape the feeling that it’s missing something very important. AoD is more like a buffet breakfast: you can have all eggs or all bacon or a balanced mix of both. Unfortunately, the buffet has run very low on exploration, which is obviously the toast.

But eggs plus bacon is ultimately more filling than eggs plus toast, at least for me. Either way, your breakfast is not quite complete.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
WTF are you lying?
fanboy.png

Yeah, I totally have it in for you. No doubt a search would reveal how much I've trash-talked or even mentioned you in the past year (probably never). But yeah, somehow I just magically picked your name out of a hat here to tell lies about you.

Anyway, by cross-referencing your username with mine, anyone can see your fifty-paragraph rants about Underrail in which you've quoted my posts or tagged me. I've rated a few of them Retarded to refresh your memory. Highlights are when you (for example) whine that the game requires a walkthrough to complete. Funny, I managed to complete DC without flying into a rage and without someone holding my dick. :lol:

What's funnier there are even bigger UR fans than you....

Maybe, but that'd be hard to know for sure because when I really love a game, I don't act like a completely obsessed dipshit.

Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I'm still waiting on the quote where I've given you "a stern lecture for posting in the Underrail thread too much and not enough in the AoD thread". Obviously you won't find any because you're talking out of your ass which is common for retards.

I don't act like a completely obsessed dipshit.
Says a guy who was disqualified from a GOTY poll because he wanted UR to win :D. And a guy who was defending the worst location in UR before even playing it. And a blind beta-tester who only praised UR instead of giving it a fair critique which is one of the reasons why DC is as bad as it is.

Instead of talking out of your ass again and again quote my posts to prove your point (oh, right, you can't because there aren't any quotes you could use).

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Says a guy who was disqualified from a GOTY poll because he wanted UR to win :D.

That's not why I was disqualified. That's your agenda showing.

And a guy who was defending the worst location in UR before even playing it.

This is a lie:

You're hilarious.

You've had the audacity to respond to my post about DC without actually playing DC yourself and now you're asking for "specific reasons", lol.

Your big rant was about far more than just DC. I ignored or skipped over whatever you'd written about DC at the time, since I didn't want spoilers, and I wasn't responding to any of that. I completely and totally avoided making any judgments whatsoever of DC until I reached that part of the game myself. You won't find a single word indicating otherwise until after my bug-out kit post.

Now, as then, you've chosen to be retarded and pretend that I was responding only to your DC post, when in fact I was responding to your criticisms of the rest of the game, and hadn't read or responded to your criticisms of DC until after I'd finished DC.

Once I did finish DC, I knew that your criticisms of DC were also gay and retarded, but until then I hadn't posted a word about them.

And a blind beta-tester who only praised UR instead of giving it a fair critique which is one of the reasons why DC is as bad as it is.

This is also a lie:

Yes, beta was available only to bootlickers like me, the leader of an elite group consisting exclusively of anyone with a spare $10. If you mean the DC testing, well, true bootlickers didn't actually play it, instead saving it to enjoy in our first 1.0 playthrough.

I've criticized many things about Underrail, but the walking speed, font, and stations that don't have quest-givers and merchants crowded into one small MMO hub aren't among them.

Actual criticisms include (but are not limited to):

Crafting is far too powerful, especially with the addition of Super Steel. All looted and shop-bought gear is shitty rags compared to what can ultimately be crafted. Crafted infused leather and Super Steel heavy armor are twice or thrice as good as what can be looted or purchased. Looted and shop-bought energy shields even late in the game seem to top out around 300 capacity with mediocre resistances, while with crafting you can create 1200 or 1600 capacity (depending on the Power Management feat) shields with fantastic resistances.

We're not talking 50% or better, or even 100% better: Crafted gear is several times better than anything else available. Styg knows this, and apparently it's what he wants. I strongly disagree with this design decision.

Perplexingly, Riot Gear is total crap. Even at very high quality, the shield doesn't block melee attacks nearly often enough (or prevent enough damage when it does) to justify the armor type being otherwise weaker than Tac Vests in every way.

Pistols were nerfed across the board because Styg thought energy weapons were too strong, and now they suck, as has been amply demonstrated in this thread (an SMG that deals more damage per bullet than a .44 pistol, for less AP, with a larger magazine, and both of the same quality and caliber, for example). Meanwhile, ARs and SMGs still shred the entire building and leave only wooden splinters and pulped organic material in the aftermath.

Crossbows didn't receive the promised "love" and are still wanting. Notably, an entire skill is dedicated only to crossbows, while with the Guns skill you can use all sorts of guns effectively even if you make very specialized feat choices.

The grammatical errors and typos range from slight to a complete mess, and this has barely changed since a year and a half ago. I plan to personally help Styg clean it up at some point when I settle on a viable method of efficiently parsing all the dialogue, descriptive text, etc.

There are many little things that need to be improved, especially things that have actually worsened since Early Access, such as Charons being prioritized when trading with SGS merchants, unreachable containers and switches, patrolling guards getting stuck on scenery, etc. Also, why the fuck can't I type in a quantity when dividing stacks?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I see.....it's like two crews sailing a sea of shit, insulting the other's vessel. Just be glad you're on a boat instead of neck-deep in shit :smug:
Maybe even have a boargy.
donald-yanked-off-stage.png

Hey, you catch on fast.

We're actually in the sea of shit, though. It's more like two crews in shit submarines that are also mostly flooded with shit.

axedice

Cipher
UR is like a high quality plate of eggs with only half a slice of burnt bacon; or the bacon with only a hint of egg. It’s very good for what it is, but I can’t escape the feeling that it’s missing something very important. AoD is more like a buffet breakfast: you can have all eggs or all bacon or a balanced mix of both. Unfortunately, the buffet has run very low on exploration, which is obviously the toast.

But eggs plus bacon is ultimately more filling than eggs plus toast, at least for me. Either way, your breakfast is not quite complete.

I'd differ from your analogy on the filling part, eggs plus bacon (AoD) is definetly more tasty but without the bread of exploration it doesn't fill you up. Underrail's toast plus burnt bacon definetly fills you up, while the taste is only acceptable.

But the important thing is if we are using a sub-optimal breakfast analogy for AoD and Underrail, then all the other recent RPGs (PoE, TTON etc.) are just different flavors of turd. You know, like if you're on a boat stranded in the ocean without any food supplies then you'll eventually have to eat your own turd and drink your own piss to survive.

Tyranny wasn't your own turd though, it was your dog's turd.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
As much fun as it was to make the Age of Decadence one, I really like the Underrail one. It has that 90s vibe where you would get a CD-ROM full of demos and trailers, and they barely said anything but made you spend years imagining how the game was... :)

They should just make a new in-between expansion where your character starts in Deep Caverns with 8 arms, each holding a mini-gun, and obliterates that whole <censored> level.

Father Foreskin

Learned
Deep Caverns and the pre-nerf Depot A were a fucking paradise IF you had stealth and a way to do plenty of damage(guns,psi). I still remember when i had to abandon my balanced Sawyer-style musclewizard in Depot A during my first attempt at the game. That was some real rpg shit.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I started this game and rolled a tech and sci heavy character with "paranoid" and "doctor" perks. First quest of the game is to go kill rats in a basement. Uninstalled.

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
Underrail has been my most recent rpg; AoD notwithstanding (I tried to roll an assassin and only got past the first speech check once...).

And I bumbled into some weird sort of stealth-assault no-psi character. Currently in the mushroom forest now. It's been a hell of a ride, from just barely beating the arena's last boss levels before I should had and taking on the mall....

Lookin' forward for the expansion~

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Underrail has been my most recent rpg; AoD notwithstanding

You should be able to finish about 20 playthroughs of AoD before the
Underrail expansion
hits, for a first game assassin I'd recomend dumping charisma and focussing on knives/dodge/crit/craft/alchemy, should be a doozy.

Trashos

Arcane
So, I am playing Underrail, and I am having loads of fun. Now at the Junkyard looking for the drill (murmuring The Birthday Party's Junkyard as I go along), with a hybrid sniper/smg build of my own making.

I can see why Underrail won't appeal to all tastes, it is a combatfag game, and a great one at that. But some people are simply missing the point. For example, let's talk about the criticism of not having a party. The advantage of not having a party is that different builds play very differently, whereas in party games the build differences are diluted due to the companions. So the only legitimate question here is: Do Underrail's different builds play differently? And the answer is YES! So it is doing what is supposed to do.

The only half-significant criticism I have this far is the respawning enemies. I don't like respawns in any game, and I don't like them here either. If people need to grind in classic mode, make a designated respawning region that is out of the way. Thank you.

I have already tried 3 other builds (assault tank, arbalist, sniper) in non-complete playthroughs before I ended up with my current sniper/smg, and I already have several ideas for future builds. Heck, I have not even tried Psi, yet! Looking forward to my next dozen of playthroughs. Btw, the GMS dungeon was good. Really really good.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
This is an absolutely huge cRPG. Is every room you clear in what is essentially an underground wilderness with its own ecosystem supposed to stay empty forever?

From my perspective, if respawns are an issue at all, it's because they're always the same as the initial spawns in that room. It would better if the spawns shifted around to represent wildlife moving from area to area (including areas the player never sees), but that would require a tremendous amount of work. Keep in mind that sacrifices had to be made during development to save resources and man-hours, such as not implementing crawling animations for vent movement, an omission that was frankly explained to fans during development.

In a living world with an ecosystem, one person shouldn't be able to clear out all of the wildlife on a permanent basis. It just doesn't make sense. I'd rather have a limited, abstracted representation of the ecosystem's robustness than none at all. Believable world-building and atmosphere call for it.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I really never understood the Respawning complaints. It only happens to trash mobs, not the main encounters - and even they only do so once in a full moon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom