Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
soon(tm)...

mjk5Ani.gif

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Yeah Alfons. Better wait for the next update when there's actually a noise advantage to crossbows :troll:

(and more psionic powers!)
:happytrollboy:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
:negative:
I'm in the same boat as Blaine only I have no patience and I'm going to start a new char.
I played as...
Heavy Assualt
SMG
Heavy Knifer
Heavy Sledgey
Psi
Hybrids of the above

Any other builds worth trying out?

Wouldn't you rather save some playthroughs for the final release version and beyond? ;S

I stopped playing myself, to save the best part of the game for release. Clocked in 50 hours alrdy

Alfons

Prophet
Wouldn't you rather save some playthroughs for the final release version and beyond? ;S

I stopped playing myself, to save the best part of the game for release. Clocked in 50 hours alrdy
The more I find about the game the I get more hyped. I also don't think that experiencing the game's evolution is detrimental to my enjoyment, I previously stated that the game in it's current form is one of the most "finished" games I ever played.

John_Blazze

Augur
Is it a good idea to start the game at it's current state?

I played it for like 10 minutes years ago when I bought it and decided to wait for the final relase but I really feel the urge to play some real ass rpg right now. Even if for couple starting hours.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

I played it for like 10 minutes years ago when I bought it and decided to wait for the final relase but I really feel the urge to play some real ass rpg right now. Even if for couple starting hours.
Game is highly playable and enjoyable more so than any crpg release of the last few years. The devs are finishing the endgame and polishing the starter areas.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

Just wait man ;) It's really close to completion.

Higher Animal

Arcane
This RPGOTY will be a challenge... Twitcher 3 potatoes, Fallout 4 trolls, Pillars of Eternity sawyerites, Shadowrun:HK fanboys, Age of Decadence worshipers, D:OS/W2 Director's Cut slowpokes, Way of the Samurai 4 & Lighting Returns weaboos, cursed Serpent in the Staglands fans and Undertale tumblrinas.

2015 is a damn good year. The butthurt on the voting methodology & results will be something for the ages...

Due to bias concerns, Vault Dweller needs to remove his game from consideration.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Well, all the main hubs are complete right? I think playing through at this state would no doubt spoil it, if you're me, you won't be able to stop playing!

Most main hubs are complete, but some of the endgame content is still missing, and there are several touch-ups and revisions of old areas still coming.

I would wait with a full playthrough for now, but yeah, it plays like a full game. There is even an entirely new feature still coming (noise) and alot of balance changes, difficulty etc.

I fear I would get tired of the game, if I play it alot now, while we still have alot of new stuff to look forward to.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Still not tired of Underrail after hundreds of hours.

01bb0a42e6.png

Also pictured: Europoor friend who usually only plays shooters; I bought the game for him (along with Age of Decadence), and he's been playing Underrail for hours on end every single day for the past week.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Still not tired of Underrail after hundreds of hours.Also pictured: Europoor friend who usually only plays shooters; I bought the game for him (along with Age of Decadence), and he's been playing Underrail for hours on end every single day for the past week.
You're mental.

John_Blazze

Augur
Took the plunge and played for ~3 hours.

I was kind of afriad of playing unfinished version, even though most features are already in place. I did'nt want to make the same mistake I did with Darkest Dungeon (I'm almostt already burned out on that one) but I don't think this applies to Underrail.
It's a great early acess title to fuck around with, you know you will do multiple playtroughs anyway.

BTW are there any ways of developing a character that would lead to having to restart the game or making the game unbearable? I'm playing the oddity mode.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
322 hours... shieeeet nigga. That's an awful lot. I don't think I ever even spend that much time on ANY cRPG in the past.

And I thought my 50 hours was high for an early access title.. guess I was wrong ... O_O

Zdzisiu

Arcane

I was kind of afriad of playing unfinished version, even though most features are already in place. I did'nt want to make the same mistake I did with Darkest Dungeon (I'm almostt already burned out on that one) but I don't think this applies to Underrail.
It's a great early acess title to fuck around with, you know you will do multiple playtroughs anyway.

BTW are there any ways of developing a character that would lead to having to restart the game or making the game unbearable? I'm playing the oddity mode.
Depends on what you find unbearable. Some characters will find the combat easier, some harder but it is certainly doable on any characters. Ok, maybe with the exception of being a complete retard and not investing any points into any combat skills and not making use of any consumables etc

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Unless you're really gimping your character (picking weird skills and not pumping anything high), you should be fine. There are of course builds than currently are stronger than others in terms of balance, but that should get sorted out come release.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Perhaps the easiest way to play combat-wise is as a hammer-wielding heavy armor user who branches out into grenades after level 10 or so, because it's very survivable, straightforward in terms of attribute investment, quite versatile (due to grenades), and most significantly can afford to invest heavily in most/all crafting skills.

Just watch out for knife users. A random hobo with a shiv can fuck up your life big time if you're a hammer guy.

John_Blazze

Augur
I went with Stealth and Guns, but smashing fools with hammer sound really good.

I usually use handguns exclusively (even in FPS games, if they allow it), I don't care about not being the walking death, it just feels more natural in most scenarios to me.
I am wondering though, what's the upside of using guns/crossbow over melee in Underrail? So far it seems like bullets are pretty scarce.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
You'll be able to afford plenty of ammo fairly soon. Scarcity is less of an issue than weight. Your main concern will be obtaining large stockpiles of specialized ammunition.

The upside of using guns/crossbow is that you can kill enemies from a distance, which is a great advantage is many situations and depending on your build.

Speaking of guns, I don't quite understand why Styg is reducing pistol damage by 20% across the board in the next update. They're nowhere near powerful enough to need nerfing, in my experience.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Still not tired of Underrail after hundreds of hours.

01bb0a42e6.png

Also pictured: Europoor friend who usually only plays shooters; I bought the game for him (along with Age of Decadence), and he's been playing Underrail for hours on end every single day for the past week.

C60JfTd.png

One run (stealth/psionics) and 3 aborted runs. Stopped after junkyard. Every day is a struggle not to go back in, and play the fuck out of it. So far, my will holds.

Also, I've gifted it away to 7 codexers and 4 rl friends, because everyone who claims to like RPGs should play it.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
C60JfTd.png

One run (stealth/psionics) and 3 aborted runs. Stopped after junkyard. Every day is a struggle not to go back in, and play the fuck out of it. So far, my will holds.

Also, I've gifted it away to 7 codexers and 4 rl friends, because everyone who claims to like RPGs should play it.
Come on man, just a couple more hours, there is plenty more content after junkyard. You could maybe take a peek at foundry or rail crossing. What can go wrong?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom