Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I should have a 70-copy Codex Underrail giveaway in order to upstage Ulminati.

Hellraiser

Arcane
You should. Just don't tie it into Hellraiser and Black_Willow having a honor match. Their potato internet can't handle it :3

Oh come on, we had only 1 (one) disconnection after we rescheduled it to Monday :M

And in any case it was Evolve's relaying server fucking up, not my internet.

Of course if my premium ISP did not block fucking ports that would not have been an issue.

epeli

Arcane
Speaking of guns, I don't quite understand why Styg is reducing pistol damage by 20% across the board in the next update. They're nowhere near powerful enough to need nerfing, in my experience.

Crafted energy pistols are hilariously powerful with crit builds, up to 4k single-target hits with amplified plasma pistol or bouncing aoe slaughter with amplified electroshock pistol. Try it while it works! :P

I think Styg overreacted to those builds and nerfed everything even remotely related (steadfast aim, opportunist, recklessness, sharpshooter, gunslinger, pistol damage, electric pistol stun chance, execute no longer works with electric pistol)

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Yeah, I wondered why Styg had so many feat nerfs planned, especially to feats he'd just buffed in the previous update. I never used pistols much, although I'm aware of how OP energy pistols can be. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is equally the result of crafted tech being ludicrously powerful compared to anything in stores or carried by enemies.

My next playthrough will be as a Jedi, so I'm not too concerned about pistols, nor about the mild nerf to psionics, which seems to be mostly in the form of increased psi costs. Plus, we're getting a bunch of new psi abilities.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
My last playthrough was with a crossbow main who soon branched out into traps. It gets better later on with Mk II-IV bolts, but in general, I think crossbows need some love (and Styg seemed to agree, last I checked).

We had a little conversation about crossbows some months back:

My Crossbows skill is completely maxed out at level 23, and my character has a Perception of 10. The Perception could be higher, but then we're venturing into min-max territory (not that there's a problem with that, but I feel that 10 is reasonably high). My character also has a Tornado crossbow built on a quality 122 frame with a Super String, High-Resolution Digital Scope, Seeker Goggles, and several feats culminating in these combat stats:

3d1f6876b6.png

The sweet spot for crossbows appears to be 2-4 squares (hexes?) away from the enemy. Any further away, and accuracy begins to drop off; any closer, and accuracy takes a 10-15% hit. From a goodly distance away, accuracy will be around 50-70% (depending on the enemy's Evasion and etc.).

In essence, crossbows have the range of a slightly beefy pistol, which frankly is ludicrous. Real-world hunters hunt deer and such with crossbows, whereas the same isn't reasonably possible with pistols.

Crossbows essentially end up being somewhat more versatile sniper rifles that trade bad range for fewer close-range penalties, except without any other frame types available through that skill. Put another way, crossbows could easily be viewed as just another type of gun frame, with the tremendous disadvantage of requiring their own separate skill.

Again though, I sincerely believe that nerfing crafted items to be no more than 40-50% better than found/purchased items at the high end, rather than 70-80% better, is probably the most realistic solution, along with a crossbows buff.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I think a combination of the sound stealth rules (dunno if lategame encounters will make stealth an advantage) and giving the crossbow another 2-3 squares of range before dropoff would be good.
Or some cool specialst ammo so I can feel like Batman!

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
So is Underrail still scheduled to be released in 2015? There has been no update since August 14th.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I think a combination of the sound stealth rules (dunno if lategame encounters will make stealth an advantage) and giving the crossbow another 2-3 squares of range before dropoff would be good.
Or some cool specialst ammo so I can feel like Batman!
You're mixing up your Gotham vigilantes - that would be the Huntress.

:)

Diggfinger

Arcane
Still not tired of Underrail after hundreds of hours.

01bb0a42e6.png

Also pictured: Europoor friend who usually only plays shooters; I bought the game for him (along with Age of Decadence), and he's been playing Underrail for hours on end every single day for the past week.

Im impressed: you've put 300+hours into Underrail...and still find time to nurture (at least one) friendship!!

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Still not tired of Underrail after hundreds of hours.

01bb0a42e6.png

Also pictured: Europoor friend who usually only plays shooters; I bought the game for him (along with Age of Decadence), and he's been playing Underrail for hours on end every single day for the past week.

That guy sent me this over Steam:

82f3f28403.png

He convinced a friend of his I don't really know to buy and play Underrail. Isn't that cute?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
That guy sent me this over Steam:

82f3f28403.png

He convinced a friend of his I don't really know to buy and play Underrail. Isn't that cute?

Underrail is like gonorrhoea. Receiving it feels good. And once you've contracted it you have an urge to pass it on :incline:

Feel free to quote me on that on the back of the box along with the official review scores.

Shin

Cipher
Any Codexers who don't already own Underrail and Age of Decadence should be banned.

The game isn't even fucking released you dickhead. No matter how many 'omg its so fallout' posts I see, I'm not fucking buying into early access.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
The game isn't even fucking released you dickhead. No matter how many 'omg its so fallout' posts I see, I'm not fucking buying into early access.
Its your right to be retarded, noone can take it from you.

:mrpresident:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

Just for that, I will buy Underrail another 7 times for the Xmas Bazaar giveaway.

Unfortunately for you, it will only be visible to people who registered on the Codex before Dec. 1st 2014.
:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom