Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Given what I've seen from the alpha tests from Torment, there's not much to sway me negatively. It looks VERY promising. And if you are referring to this latest "shock" of Kevin Saunders leaving the project, I doubt it will have much impact on the overall game at this stage.

It certaintly looks heaps and bounds better than Wasteland 2, not forgetting that it is an entirely different game, from an entirely different team (more experience).

Pretty sure that most of the designs, systems, mechanics are in place at this moment. Changing the project lead to Chris Keenan won't affect the game much, I would say. Of course, nobody knows for sure.

The development team for Torment is in good hands, and Chris Keenan is a good delivery manager. His job will be ensuring to meet the deadlines that Fargo and the devs give him, not to have a say on the actual content.

In my opinion, the biggest issues that might arise is that the combat encounters are few and that the player will be bombarded by walls of text just for the sake of having walls of text... i dont want to play a visual novel, i want to play an crpg, and hopefully Torment will have more than text a half a dozen encounters to keep things fresh...

roshan

Arcane
In my opinion, the biggest issues that might arise is that the combat encounters are few and that the player will be bombarded by walls of text just for the sake of having walls of text... i dont want to play a visual novel, i want to play an crpg, and hopefully Torment will have more than text a half a dozen encounters to keep things fresh...

Yeah I tried a bit of Sanitarium, and found it boring, kept wondering where the "game" was in all of it. It felt like I was just clicking on things, not really playing a game. I like RPGs because the gameplay is the various systems you get involved in, from puzzles, inventory, combat, stealth, thieving, character building and so on, not just reading text and clicking on things.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Gotta say that I learned about Underrail from RPGCodex, and have bought it based on the info i got off the forum post. One of the best games i have ever played, cant wait for full release :)

Nael

Arcane
Gotta say that I learned about Underrail from RPGCodex, and have bought it based on the info i got off the forum post. One of the best games i have ever played, cant wait for full release :)

Same. But then again I think every new game I have purchased over the past 10 years was due to reading first impressions from this prestigious website. :obviously:

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Underrail and Battle Brothers are my most anticipated games ever. Especially after I bought WL2 and Div:OS.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I've been keeping an eye it since it was a RTWP game called Timelapse Vertigo, just stopped following to avoid the modern experience of being spoiled about every aspect of the game before even starting out.

Tigranes

Arcane
Same. But then again I think every new game I have purchased over the past 10 years was due to reading first impressions from this prestigious website. :obviously:

Indeed. Codex thread lengths have guided many itinerants to gems like Fallout 3 and Skyrim.

thexsa

Educated
Why are Burrowers so fucking strong? I was feeling all powerful and shit with my psi-user until I ran into those fuckers...

thexsa

Educated
So I've taken 3 characters to and quite a bit into the junkyard now.

Twice with Oddity, once with Classic xp.

The one I had most success with was the one with Oddity xp + full Psi-abilities + crafting psi-stuff for myself.

Maybe it's just early game, but psi-powers seem a bit strong, especially against melee when you can kite into 1-tile-corridors, fear the closest one and begin picking the rest off.

Most fun was playing as crossbow-dude using traps and grenades, though. There's just something about rounding up dem rathounds in beartraps and letting a grenade do the talking.

Also, each time I was like level 9 when I started doing the mutant-area in Junkyard with oddity but only level 7 with the Classic guy. Is that something that balances out later in the game, when more of the oddities have been exhausted?

ST'Ranger

Augur
So I've taken 3 characters to and quite a bit into the junkyard now.

Twice with Oddity, once with Classic xp.

The one I had most success with was the one with Oddity xp + full Psi-abilities + crafting psi-stuff for myself.

Maybe it's just early game, but psi-powers seem a bit strong, especially against melee when you can kite into 1-tile-corridors, fear the closest one and begin picking the rest off.

Most fun was playing as crossbow-dude using traps and grenades, though. There's just something about rounding up dem rathounds in beartraps and letting a grenade do the talking.

Also, each time I was like level 9 when I started doing the mutant-area in Junkyard with oddity but only level 7 with the Classic guy. Is that something that balances out later in the game, when more of the oddities have been exhausted?

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...e-on-early-access.69181/page-127#post-4085004

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Why does no-one have the shield emitter schematic in my playthrough!? D:

I have scoured SGS, Junkyard and Core City to no avail. I have sunk points into crafting and I have high quality components in my inventory. But no schematic so no shield. Also took me until core city to get a carrier vest so I could craft armour

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Just kill a guy a steal his. Problem solved.

Ugh... All these depressing news about FO4. We need the next patch/release, Styg ! We need itttttttttttttttttt.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The whole point of sinking a bunch of points into mechanics/electronics/tailoring was that I wanted to craft my own stuff. So the availability on schematics and a few key items (carrier vests, plasma cores) is an issue. I get that they should be rare. Actually, carrier vests should be pretty common. But the RNG can really screw crafting builds over right now.

A solution could be to allow me to salvage specific components from an item rather than parts. Possibly with a hit to quality. That way I could take any old suit of metal armour and strip it to make my own.

How about it Styg? Any chance to make blueprint: recycle item available to all and let the player pick what part of the item to receive depending on their skill? (So a novice mechanic would only get scrap while an expert could salvage a damaged scope or a gun frame). I think as long as the part you recycle losses a few points of quality it should still be balanced. I'd be OK with having to pay a feat for this, as long as I could acquire it by level 5 or so

Zdzisiu

Arcane
The whole point of sinking a bunch of points into mechanics/electronics/tailoring was that I wanted to craft my own stuff. So the availability on schematics and a few key items (carrier vests, plasma cores) is an issue. I get that they should be rare. Actually, carrier vests should be pretty common. But the RNG can really screw crafting builds over right now.

A solution could be to allow me to salvage specific components from an item rather than parts. Possibly with a hit to quality. That way I could take any old suit of metal armour and strip it to make my own.

How about it Styg? Any chance to make blueprint: recycle item available to all and let the player pick what part of the item to receive depending on their skill? (So a novice mechanic would only get scrap while an expert could salvage a damaged scope or a gun frame). I think as long as the part you recycle losses a few points of quality it should still be balanced. I'd be OK with having to pay a feat for this, as long as I could acquire it by level 5 or so
You mean, like this one? http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Disassemble

or do you need it to do something else?

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer

That's already in the game.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Just kill a guy a steal his. Problem solved.

Ugh... All these depressing news about FO4. We need the next patch/release, Styg ! We need itttttttttttttttttt.

There won't be any updated until the final release.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
D'oh! I have int 6. No wonder I didn't see it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom