Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
What if Underrail releases at the same time as Battle Brothers on Thursday, 202X?

:shredder:

How would I decide which incline to play?

I'll be honest, I'd probably go for BB over Underrail. Probably.

That's why I have 2 monitors :P

Nael

Arcane
That's why I have 2 monitors :P

12112.jpg

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Against my better judgement I decided to dip my toes in to see what the progress is since I last played and now I'm hooked and can't stop playing :negative:. This is pretty much the best RPG I've played since FO1 and Geneforge. At least I see a lot of interesting builds to try and will probably play the game at least 7 times so playing it now in EA state isn't that bad. My only request is a Shift + Right Click = Run to cut the tedium of travelling.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I wanted to try a new build but I'm not sure what stats and skills to pick. The theme of this build is to be technologically superior to everyone else and just wreck everyone with superior firepower while hiding behind superior armor and shields.

Stats are: 8 Str, 6 Dex, 3 Agi, 7 Con, 8 Per, 3 Will, 5 Int.

Skills are: Guns, Throwing, Hacking, Lockpicking, Mechanics, Electronics, Intimidation and Mercantile.

I will raise Perception to 10 from level ups, and then maybe invest some points into Dex and/or Str. I'll be using Pistols / Energy Pistols as my main weapon and the different nades for crowd control, damage and dealing with shields. Do I need Biology, Tailoring or Chemistry to make Metal Armor, shields or Energy Pistols? I could swap Intimidation and/or Mercantile for more crafting skills.

Alfons

Prophet
You need tailoring for metal any metal armor, chem and bio and electronics depending on what vest you want to use.

Chem is needed for Chemical pistols, though I didn't like those, YMMV.

Electronics is needed for energy pistols.

I think in the current version pretty much everyone agrees that mercantile is overkill. Visit the shops often enough and the economy breaks relatively early anyway.

Personally, I have been thoroughly unimpressed with lockpicking and hacking as well. Although I know of a few quests that they do make much simpler.

BTW, what's with the 3 AGI and 3 WILL? If they don't give perks I'd drop them.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Alright, I'll swap Mercantile for Tailoring. I have no desire to use Chemical Pistols, they don't seem too useful from what I've read. Lockpicking and Hacking is fine, there really aren't many other useful skills I could take over them. I'm playing with the Oddity XP system so I'll probably find some extra Oddity items hidden behind locked doors.

I don't understand what you mean by dropping Agi and Will. I obviously have since they can't go lower than 3.

Edit: I see there's a feat that increases the Electricity cap of items you make by 30% but that requires 7 Int.
Goddamnit :argh:

Last edited:

Alfons

Prophet
Lockpicking and Hacking is fine, there really aren't many other useful skills I could take over them. I'm playing with the Oddity XP system so I'll probably find some extra Oddity items hidden behind locked doors.
Just my 2 cents, I only played on oddity.
I don't understand what you mean by dropping Agi and Will. I obviously have since they can't go lower than 3.
:oops:
It's been a while since I played.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I never liked to be locked out of a door or cabinet, my OCD demands me to unlock and loot everything. And, like I said, there really aren't many other options for me to invest in, so Lockpicking and Hacking should be fine. I'll just have an easier time with some quests and have access to more loot to create more stuff. I have a feeling that I'll need everything I can take if I want to craft a lot of stuff.

I'm also considering dropping Int from 5 to 4 and adding that extra point into Con or Dex (probably Con). The difference between 4 and 5 in a stat dont seem to have much of an impact in terms of skill points, I just need to look through the Feats and make sure that I won't miss out on anything important.

Alfons

Prophet
I never liked to be locked out of a door or cabinet, my OCD demands me to unlock and loot everything.
I have the same ehm...condition, and I still prefer to drop it for more crafting skills. I had chars that opened every door and I had ones that didn't open any. I rarely noticed any difference, quests are sometimes made easier but the best stuff in the game is made and the best components are bought.

I did find some high-level components, and there is something to be said about found components if you don't intend to reload shops, but most times, like 95%, you unlock doors all you get is a whole bunch of nothing.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Reload shops? I wasn't aware that you could do that. Sounds like it'd be bothersome to do, I'll just go with the looting skills and obtain stuff naturally. I like to explore the tunnels around and rummage through crap anyway. I'll miss out on Biology and Chemistry, but I didn't find Biology to be too useful on my last character. Enemy NPCs are loaded with Hypos and other drugs and buying more if needed was never an issue for me. Maybe Chemistry is good if you can make some badass bombs.

gestalt11

Arbiter
Reload shops? I wasn't aware that you could do that. Sounds like it'd be bothersome to do, I'll just go with the looting skills and obtain stuff naturally. I like to explore the tunnels around and rummage through crap anyway. I'll miss out on Biology and Chemistry, but I didn't find Biology to be too useful on my last character. Enemy NPCs are loaded with Hypos and other drugs and buying more if needed was never an issue for me. Maybe Chemistry is good if you can make some badass bombs.

The best way to get items is to save scum the shops and craft. Getting stuff all in the top, say 90%, is a big pain in the ass though. Locked containers are pretty much crap loot for the most part. Although you definitely get some oddities that way.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I wanted to try a new build but I'm not sure what stats and skills to pick. The theme of this build is to be technologically superior to everyone else and just wreck everyone with superior firepower while hiding behind superior armor and shields.

Stats are: 8 Str, 6 Dex, 3 Agi, 7 Con, 8 Per, 3 Will, 5 Int.

Skills are: Guns, Throwing, Hacking, Lockpicking, Mechanics, Electronics, Intimidation and Mercantile.

I will raise Perception to 10 from level ups, and then maybe invest some points into Dex and/or Str. I'll be using Pistols / Energy Pistols as my main weapon and the different nades for crowd control, damage and dealing with shields. Do I need Biology, Tailoring or Chemistry to make Metal Armor, shields or Energy Pistols? I could swap Intimidation and/or Mercantile for more crafting skills.

Tailoring for armor, and you need more int (7 I think) for the feat that lets you disassemble stuff for parts. That'll save you a lot of headache trying to hunt down rare components. Especially the harness needed to craft metal armor tends to be super rare. Either buy it whenever you get the chance or get the disassembly feat.

Last edited:

Alfons

Prophet
Tailoring for armor, and you need more int (7 I think) for the feat that lets you disassemble stuff for parts. That'll save you a lot of headache trying to hunt down rare components. Especially the harness needed to craft metal armor tends to be super rare. Either buy it whenever you get the chance or get the disassembly feat.
You mean the vest? I've never encountered armor that would yield anything better than even the shittiest thing offered in the higher end shops. The trick is, savescumming or not, is to buy your shit in the later areas.

Just to illustrate the point. The shittiest shield emitter I ever made had a capacity of about 600-700 with the part that increases the cap. Without it, it was about 300-400. The best shield emitter I picked up from dead guys was around 400, and that's from some of the strongest NPC's in the game. From what I observed the gear of the NPCs improves in the type of gear it is, not so much by the level of their gear I.E. NPCs go from carrying mostly pistols and SMGs to assault rifles, sniper rifle, larger caliber pistols and SMGs etc. I imagine the parts you'll get from that will be on par or worse than the shit tier in shops.

An argument for that feat would be getting rare fixed level parts from gear, the type of shit which requires around 40 quick loads, but the gear that can yield that shit just doesn't exist.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I picked up a 677 shield from a Faceless I killed during their Rail Crossing raid. Needless to say I was pretty badass at that point since it was better than what anyone else had.
Anyway, I've been playing a bit with this character and I think I'm going to restart with better stats and skills. This time with 6 Str, 6 Dex, 3 Agi, 7 Con, 8 Per, 3 Will, 7 Int. 8 Str isn't really needed in the beginning so it can be added later with level ups. I put too much emphasis on the importance of Perception (my mistake in reading and believing the opinions of others on Steam) and think that leaving it at 8 should be fine. You won't be shooting very far with a Pistol anyway and that's all Perception is good for. After getting Str to 8, Dex should be my 2nd priority since it's the only other stat other than Int that will help me do more damage. I ran into an issue after a while where I couldn't burst guys down fast enough so they'd just heal up back to full health and continue blasting me. Having a high health pool didn't really do much to help. Also, all the stuff I was able to make pretty much matched the gear I could find unless I'd have very high grade components. As such I think going for 7 int to get the feats such as Gun Nut, Power Management and other crafting related feats is a very good idea. Not only does it make the average item you can make a bit better than the normal stuff you find, but it'll make the even better, well, even better. It's also one of the few ways of increasing your damage done with guns, which is something you probably want.
I'm going with the same skills but removing Intimidate and taking Chemistry instead. I'm still not letting go of Lockpicking. I didn't find any useful items with it and often would unlock empty cabinets, but I did find the occasional oddity hidden behind a locked door and I think it might be worth it just for that alone.

Alfons

Prophet
The thing about those oddities is that you max them out without lockpicking or hacking anyway, might take a bit longer.

The thing that gives you oddities that cannot be obtained by any other way(unless you count making entire factions shoot you on sight an option) is pickpocket. Right off the top of my head I can think of 11 EXP worth of oddities from that.

Taking or not taking lockpick/hack is not a big deal anyway. My char who didn't take it started developing both of those+pickpocket at around level 20. My crafting skills and throwing were unnecessary high by that point.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The thing about those oddities is that you max them out without lockpicking or hacking anyway, might take a bit longer.

The thing that gives you oddities that cannot be obtained by any other way(unless you count making entire factions shoot you on sight an option) is pickpocket. Right off the top of my head I can think of 11 EXP worth of oddities from that.

Taking or not taking lockpick/hack is not a big deal anyway. My char who didn't take it started developing both of those+pickpocket at around level 20. My crafting skills and throwing were unnecessary high by that point.

You may be right. I have two characters now at exactly the same point, one with and the other without lockpicking. They have exactly the same level and same amount of XP. I noticed that with my lockpicking guy I was picking up lots of oddities that I had capped out already.

Sykar

Arcane
You may be right. I have two characters now at exactly the same point, one with and the other without lockpicking. They have exactly the same level and same amount of XP. I noticed that with my lockpicking guy I was picking up lots of oddities that I had capped out already.

Well lockpicking is a bit more than just about oddities though. It gives you altenrate routes to objectives and extra loot. Also you do level up faster initially but other characters should be able to catch up later. I see nothing wrong with this.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
There's nothing wrong with it, but so far it does feel like it's an inferior choice when one could pick any other skill which would probably be more useful. Hacking, for example, is essentially the same as Lockpicking. You can unlock chests and some doors with it, but there are a lot of unique options available for it as well, like hacking computers. Lockpicking only has doors and chests. And air ventilation, but I haven't really encountered a situation where using them would make much of a difference.

Edit: OTOH I think you might be able to juggle Hacking and Lockpicking by investing skill points in both skills every other level.

Last edited:

Alfons

Prophet
There's nothing wrong with it, but so far it does feel like it's an inferior choice when one could pick any other skill which would probably be more useful.
Pretty much this. For earlier levels there are better skills to take.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It would seem that I have come upon more poor life choices regarding my latest character. It would seem that the feats Expertise and Gun Nut do not work with Energy Pistols. I had to read the wiki to figure out that Energy Pistols don't belong to firearms, which is poor and vague documentation on Styg's part. Maybe the game should specify it as Mechanical damage based firearms? I'm sure I'm not the only one who made this mistake.

Chemistry is godly. It's so easy to make nades and they are so good. One of the best skills imo.

I made Riot Armor out of an average of 50 item quality and it sucks. The shield is kinda nice, but the armor is pretty weak at protecting against guns and that's the bigger threat. Overall I'm finding armor in general to be vastly inferior to dodge / evade. Will need to try Metal Armor for the final verdict, but medium armor just seems lacking. Not heavy enough DR to negate enough damage but not light enough to be reliable for dodging either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom