Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Underrail or Wasteland 2?

Atchodas

Augur

So in the end you agree that overall STYG has written a better story for the game than whole inXile writer department , and i am not talking about random pieces you take of games script but about overall story being good and interesting , we all agree that Underrail > WL 2 here right ? If so then i misunderstood your post if no well then i got nothing to say except maybe : Repeater Units... Also i would not agree that side location like Rail Nomads has more depth than for example side location of Foundry , you wont get lore dumped to oblivion about John Henry in Foundry but the location is just plain better and they both are completely optional in both games .
Jaesun : I was talking about a story as a whole and Underrail even if not finished yet is more interesting than WL2 ever was , also check Jack Quicksilver quest line , its pure gold , dont forget to ask for directions every time after you receive a task ;)

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For me the only thing that makes me a bit skeptical about Unterrail is the fact that there are (afaik) no companions ever, at all. You travel and do everything alone. Is that right ?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Underrail is going to be incredible when completed.

Wasteland 2 is an affront to everyone that pledged to that Kickstarter. I cannot believe that is the best game they could make given their resources.
How many micro-issues would you say you noticed in WL2? +M

mixer

Learned
While i never tried Wasteland 2, everything i read about it made me wait for Director's Cut. On the other hand, Underrail is still not out so it's all just build testing. Just play something else.

Seerix

Arbiter
Well, Styg seems to be much better project manager than Fargo.

naossano

Cipher
I intend to play WL2, then Underrail, then Van Buren mod anyway...
(still not sure about Dead State. The RPG part seems incredible, but the idea of waiting the turns of a million of unactive zombie doesn't sound great...)

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Let's look at both games objectively in terms of gameplay features.

• Underrail's turn based combat is much better in all regards to Wasteland 2's combat;
  • Underrail's character development system is much better;
  • Underrails crafting system is much better;
  • Underrails story (written by one guy part-time) manages to be more interesting in terms of setting and oponents;
  • Underrails graphics are much better than anything Wasteland 2 has to offer;
  • Underrail runs much better than Wasteland 2;
  • Underrail's development has been much more honest than the bullshot bullshit and the "california will fix everything" that inxile pulled

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Let's look at both games objectively in terms of gameplay features.

• Underrail's turn based combat is much better in all regards to Wasteland 2's combat;
  • Underrail's character development system is much better;
  • Underrails crafting system is much better;
  • Underrails story (written by one guy part-time) manages to be more interesting in terms of setting and oponents;
  • Underrails graphics are much better than anything Wasteland 2 has to offer;
  • Underrail runs much better than Wasteland 2;
  • Underrail's development has been much more honest than the bullshot bullshit and the "california will fix everything" that inxile pulled
- Probably but also WL2 is a bit more involved as you control multiple party members, meaning more pieces to play in each battle
- Agreed
- Yeah
- I don't really know about Underrail's story tbh(waiting for full release)
- Well...no
- Didn't ever have the slightest issue with WL2 and my rig is not new by any chance but it's possible that since Underrail is worse graphics wise that it is lighter too.

*You were not completely objective is my point :obviously:

naossano

Cipher
How can you say that WL2 has better graphics than Underrail ?
I have yet to find a game with worse graphics than WL2. (except the early non-sprite FPS)
Underrail graphic are simple but they do their job.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
How can you say that WL2 has better graphics than Underrail ?
I have yet to find a game with worse graphics than WL2. (except the early non-sprite FPS)
Underrail graphic are simple but they do their job.
Ok..

*You were not completely objective is my point :obviously:

:nocountryforshitposters:

I was using the term objective as sarcasm, because people around here know i cant be objective about WL2 because i dislike it and everyone involved with it.
:updatedmytxt:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Wasteland 2 looks like shit, it has no consistent visual aesthetic throughout the game with the maps looking like they were designed by someone fucking around with unity and the asset store for the first time.

Last edited:

naossano

Cipher
inb4 3d vs 2d :lol:

*Almost*
When 3D is badly done, it is F*****g ugly. (so is Sprites, i guess. But i have seen more examples of early 3D or cheap 3D, from people that didn't mastered it yet)
When you cumulate polygons, you must also take the variety of colors, the lights & angles into account and not find yourself in a position it almost impossible to see what is currently happenning... (or requiring hard looking)

Underrail delivers what Wasteland 2 promised. WL2 was all about hype, Underrail simply stands as it is. Special kudos goes to Underrail for not having lots of text for the sake of having lots of text. What you read is relevant and interesting. Very much unlike WL2 which boasts (literally, Fargo wrote about it somewhere) in having encyclopedias worth of "writing". Underrail has the gameplay right and it's something that matters. WL2 has the potential, Underrail has the actual.

Atchodas

Augur
Dont forget that Underrail's starting area's will have somewhat better graphix ( they are being polished to look better , and you can check devlog for how "deep caverns" looks it is completely different from starting caves like another game), just venture further into the game and graphix changes a lot and are very beautiful (Core city for example), BUT

for the love of god , lets not make graphix an argument

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Underrail is going to be incredible when completed.

Wasteland 2 is an affront to everyone that pledged to that Kickstarter. I cannot believe that is the best game they could make given their resources.
How many micro-issues would you say you noticed in WL2? +M

Grimoire would never be released in that state. Ever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom