Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail - Serbian pillow talk, turning Tricks, taking tips

bloodlover

Arcane
Anyone knows if this crossbow/trap build is still viable after 6 months? I remember bookmarking this guy's channel back when the vids were uploaded and I made a melee sledgehammer character but I did not get very far with it since I did not have time to play.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Anyone knows if this crossbow/trap build is still viable after 6 months? I remember bookmarking this guy's channel back when the vids were uploaded and I made a melee sledgehammer character but I did not get very far with it since I did not have time to play.

And "this guy" is our very own Pope Amole II so he might be the most qualified to answer it.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
As far as I can recall, no major nerfs (if any) have been applied to it and it has received some slight buffs (like crits from elemental dmg). So it should work out fine, I guess.

Ziem

Arbiter
Depends on your definition of "viable"
Any build that involves using crossbows wasn't strong then and still isn't great now. Lategame is awful for this build due to the nature of your weapon (sucks against armor, against which you use poison/elemental damage which doesn't scale, or armor piercing acid which requires grinding and crafting).

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Because a build with stealth and quick tinkering has zero need for it, it's wasted skill points.

Take those points to electronics and just craft a monster shield to tank when you can't simply hide and drop bear traps. And heavy mechanics so you can craft a crossbow with good crit damage and ap reduction, since xbow is all about having 100% crit chance with deadly snares.

Concussive shots is also a waste of feat tbh. You do alpha strikes from stealth, -15 AP doesn't matter because the people you hit, die. Or are trapped so you can just walk out of their line of sight at the end of your turn.

Last edited:

Snufkin

Augur
You get out of stealth after Snipe and quick tinkering wont work vs ranged enemies since they just shoot/throw at you from afar. This is why evasion is so important so you dont get one shoted.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Except they're stupid as hell so you can just back into a corner and they'll waste all their MP and AP trying to get in range, just to step on a trap.

This is why evasion is so important so you dont get one shoted.
You'll get one-shot anyway by stealthed snipers and crossbowmen. All other ranged are nullified by shield and tactical vest.

Should be more worried about stealth daggerfags since they rape people with no dodge. But if you don't spot them it's just reload and drop a bear trap on your foot this time. Be intelligent and wear detection goggles when exploring, switching to another before starting a fight.

Snufkin

Augur
In that case since you are droping evasion and dodge then dump agility to 3 and pump con to 10, with infused ancient rathound leathers your mechanical resist will be high enough to not die in one shot.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
That's p. stupid.

With a stealthed ranged character, last thing you need is con.

There's only a handful of stealthed snipers and crossbowmen, anyway. It's just a reload situation.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
So last I played was around Christmas, what has happened via patches since?
UI improvements (Better inventory filtering, target outlines, larger font)
Minor quest improvements (Some stuff shuffled around and new ways to solve some others)
Some nerfs (e.g Taste for Blood, Fatal Throw)
Some buffs (e.g Gunslinger, Paranoia)

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Is there any way to somehow resist against psi attacks?!
It depends on the type of power.

Powers that deal fire, cold, electrical and mechanical damage are reduced by your shield and armor as normal. That's all metathermics and psychokinesis powers except implosion (which deals flat % of target health as damage)

Thought Control powers ignore armor and shield. You can only resist with resolve, and in the case of the ones that deal damage, mitigate with talents that decrease damage taken or by taking some morphine.

Inf0mercial

Augur
Really if you see a thought control psi just kill them first, they have way too many stuns and if they roll last turn initiative their allies won't even break you out of them with damage.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Will is the governing attribute for resisting PSI, but if you don't go that route there's the Thick Skull feat and the bullhead drug.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Anybody fancy offering any advice or criticism on my potential crossbow-stealth-traps-cliche build?

I haven't specified Feats yet but could use advice on the Stats / Skills.

Level 25 build:

Strength: 3
Dexterity: 7
Agility: 8
Constitution: 3
Perception: 16
Will: 3

Throwing: 60 (75)
Crossbows: 135(272)

Stealth: 135(180)
Hacking: 115(135)
Lockpicking: 110(138)
Pickpocketing: 0
Traps: 75(118)

Mechanics: 130(152)
Electronics: 25 (29)
Chemistry: 65 (86)
Biology: 100(126)
Tailoring: 130(152)

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Too much on hacking and lockpicking. Max difficulty you'll find is a handful of 130 and there's items that give up to +15 on each skill, plus that knife that when equipped gives +7 lockpicking.

Tailoring and mechanics also way too high unless you get incredibly lucky with the super steel RNG. Remember house workbench will give +15% and there's +1 int from junkyard surprise. You'll probably want to bump the chemistry up to (I think) 116 so you can craft the best stuff.

Is there anything on biology that needs that much skill? Super Soldier Drug?

You want a perk that need 8 agi? Otherwise seems wasted. Btw, It's missing your int score, i guess it's 7?

Last edited:

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Good comments Excidium II, thanks.

Looks like I'm going to have a load of Skills left over, shouldn't be a problem to min-max those.

I think with Biology there's a few high level special Crossbow Bolts? I need to double check to be certain. Will adjust my Mechanics and Tailoring also, thanks.

On a second glance looks like Agility only needs to be 7, true.

I did miss my Int score, whoops. I was going to run with 6; are the Skinner / Tailor feats worth having 7 Int?

Snufkin

Augur
Good comments Excidium II, thanks.

Looks like I'm going to have a load of Skills left over, shouldn't be a problem to min-max those.

I think with Biology there's a few high level special Crossbow Bolts? I need to double check to be certain. Will adjust my Mechanics and Tailoring also, thanks.

On a second glance looks like Agility only needs to be 7, true.

I did miss my Int score, whoops. I was going to run with 6; are the Skinner / Tailor feats worth having 7 Int?

http://underrail.info.tm/?build=AwG...ADhUf3G4JAjyw0WWB1gBOEBg40QUeFDwJaCGAjyoNwBEA

Here is pro build for crossbows. Still i would personaly dump agi and max con not only for HP but also for thick skull. But i play on hard ironman.

Only Crossbows,Stealth,Evasion and Dodge must be maxed and you will need 50 traps for deadly snares. Rest skills is up to you but make sure you can craft best equipment including best low frequency shield and incendiary bolts mk 3. Your armor should be infused siphoner leather and boots. The way things are now crossbows are weakest early game weapon until lvl 7 when you can craft your first crossbow with super string and anatomicly aware scope.

Advantage of crossbow build are special bolts, so use/buy/craft them whenever possible.

Last edited:

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Thanks for the comments, Snufkin.

I'm planning on playing on Hard but I save scum a lot so I won't need to max Con or take Evasion / Dodge. I found once the player gets a decent shield you can use that to survive out of Stealth pretty nicely.

Snufkin

Augur
Trust me, you will need max evasion and dodge. Getting enemies to miss you is better then resistances and shield. But those things are also important. Also with no evasion many grenades will one shot you. As for shields i recommend to craft them from two low frequency parts and High Efficiency Energy Converter.

Unwanted

golgo21

Unwanted
Shitposter
What's your opinion on the new crossbow crafting feat?worth taking and when?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom