Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Discussion in 'Underrail' started by Blaine, Dec 18, 2015.

1. ciox Educated

ciox
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Yup, the start of the game is a lot of fun, especially since you can kill a lot of rathounds by keeping an eye out for explosive barrels and luring the rathounds to them, or closing gates on them since animals can't open them.

It's only later that you start having some trouble with crossbow+psi since you'll often get human enemies that can drop you immediately, so you feel pretty much obligated to stun them with shock bolts or else.

^ Top  
  2. Falksi Learned

Falksi
    Parrots:
    Thanks for the heads up. I've got a bit of an underpowered psi build on normal (9 will), so will be interesting to see how it plays out.

^ Top  
  3. Make America Great Again Jack Dandy Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Hoo hoo! The moment human enemies start showing up, you'll see just how much fun the combat system can get.

^ Top  
  4. Falksi Learned

Falksi
    Parrots:
    Just scrapped with the 3 dudes north of the cave in. Thrived on the various approaches I could take. Can't wait to get my teeth into more later this week.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Falksi Learned

Falksi
    Parrots:
    Man, the trouble with this game is once you start a sesh you can't pull yourself away lol.

Didn't see the missus tonight as planned coz I was to nackard from the day, so again had another good 3 solid hours immersed in it. Getting my arse handed to me by enemies now, but the game is great in how it usually allows me to overcome them if I experiement with different approaches.

Think that the world design is bang on. Spacious enough to feel big, but never vastly overwhelming (well not so far anyway). That tight-knit cohesion really helps prevent boredom kicking in.

Love how straight laced the game is in terms of objectives & characters too. Probably dealt with over 15 NPCs now in one way or another, and not one mention of sexuality or suchlike. It's just a bunch of folk trying to survive at the mo, and that's really refreshing & keeps it feeling even more about survival.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Black Angel Savant

Black Angel
    Parrots:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    What does this symbol means? Styg Mac_Orion epeli I also found them in caves and other places.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Gaius maximus Learned

Gaius maximus
    Parrots:
    It has to do something with the expansion,I saw a similar thread in the underaill forum.

^ Top  
  8. epeli Erudite

epeli
    Parrots:
    About time a codexer noticed! Now it's just the two-headed mutant... Anyways, I probably shouldn't tell you what you're looking at but I can tell you there are more of those symbols. See how many you can find, maybe you guys can discern their function from the bigger picture?

By the way, those aren't the only things that were silently added in the experimental patches early this year. If nothing else, members of a certain secret society should visit their HQ after the endgame events for a very interesting discussion.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Black Angel Savant

Black Angel
    Parrots:
    Already did, but seems like I forgot to post that after the end of my 2nd playthrough. Oh, well... most people are waiting for the expansion to release before beginning their new playthrough or resuming the ongoing ones, so hurry up already! :argh:

• Rage Rage x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Falksi Learned

Falksi
    Parrots:
    About 15 hours in now and this is fast becoming one of my fave games of the year so far.

That said a few minor gripes tonight. A very, very minor one was having my first venture into a vent system which held nothing of interest & served no purpose (or not one which I could find anyway). Really felt unnecessary and essentially - with combat - just added a 20-ish-min chunk of filler. No big deal though.

Also, the lack of character interaction & NPC depth left me a bit unsatisfied tonight. Playing the game itself is just great, but once I've returned from a mission or two it would be nice to relax a bit around the complex & have a few C&C conversations in that time.

But I can't get enough of the actual missions & game itself. The combat is evolving superbly with every battle, and it's been ages since every fight felt so different, even the same fight after you've died.

And the oddity system is just brilliant. It's the first time I've ever actually felt as if I've a real choice in how I approach things, without being punished or missing out on something. I usually hate pacifist runs, I'm the type of bloke who plays Deaus Ex:HR guns blazing, but this is a game one which makes me consider my options every time, and has me enjoy the pacifist ones too.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Black Angel Savant

Black Angel
    Parrots:
    The vents are meant for stealthy characters and also those who like to take it slow when exploring dangerous areas like the GMS compound level 2. Thinking about it I guess you're right that they were kind of filler, and of course it has nothing to add to the combat gameplay, since it's a feature purely for exploration and subterfuge.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Parrots:
    There are certain high danger areas and some where you'd want to go by completely undetected, where the vents are great help.

Though I would have liked the option to grab an enemy that's close to a vent and drag him inside...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017 at 11:59 AM
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. Falksi Learned

Falksi
    Parrots:
    It was the vent at the GMS compoud. Like I say, it wasn't anything major, I just couldn't do anything other than scout the area, and it had no alternate exit (not one I could find anyway) so it felt a bit pointless. Felt like it needed an option to do something such as grab said enemy, or an exit to a console you could hack, or even an exit to an area where you could get the jump on a few enemies etc.

I guess I've been conditioned a bit by Deus Ex to expect such things, so probably shouldn't grumble. Either way it didn't bother me as such, it was just noticeable as the rest of the compound felt SUPERBLY designed, with various things constantly engage you in one way or another.

In fact, as far as level & area design go, I think this is one of the best games I've played in ages. It's not been a chore at all so far, and I never know quite what to expect either.

The missus is meant to be round tonight and she's just sent me a few naughty msgs this morning trying to tease me for later. All I'm doing is think of excuses to get out of seeing her so I can keep playing tonight lol.

^ Top  
  14. Haplo Learned

Haplo
    Parrots:
    Recently started playing. Love the game so far. So many tactical options and so much character build variety. Love it when a game gives me headaches when choosing how to build my character. Yesterday I've met some Looney goons with dogs, while looking for the GMS station and they simply murdered me. I'm so happy there are still challenging games out there.

• Salute Salute x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Lithium Flower Learned

Lithium Flower
    Parrots:
    Has the writing improved since release? I actually thought that the story was pretty intriguing, especially the weird/cosmic elements, but it was let down by the writing. It was a bit too dry when Styg was the only writer but after the Core City update I felt that it became pretty uneven and inconsistent, and certain situations like the dialogue between the lovers at Camp Hathor were pretty much cringe-worthy (not to mention spelling errors, run-on sentences, etc.)

Regardless, I look forward to replaying the game when the expansion comes out.

^ Top  
  16. Falksi Learned

Falksi
    Parrots:
    I'm not exactly the most critical when it comes to writing, but I've not had a problem with it so far other than I'd like a bit more of it.

The version I'm playing I downloaded about a month ago.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)