Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

razvedchiki

Erudite
I have run various builds but no melee/psi except sledgehammer but thanks for advice nevertheless.

Jazz_

Arcane
So I made a sniper build (5 str, 4 dex, 7 agi, 4 con, 10 perc, 3 will, 7 int) with expertise and aimed shot as feats, pumping stealth, traps and crafting (just mechanics and electronics) and disregarding psi completely, now...does anyone know where I can find my first sniper rifle? I guess I should craft it? :M

Zenith

Arbiter
I found mine in the empty caves immediately east from GMS level 3, but it might be random.

Zenith

Arbiter
It might be a good idea to get that strength eventually, but early game SMGs have an important advantage over ARs in being able to use kneecap shots (esp. useful against melee enemies) at pretty much the same damage.

Parabalus

Arcane
^ Why? the requirement for using sniper rifles is 5 strenght.
Yeah, but the reqs for ARs are 7 max. There are no good sniper perks aside from Snipe. And its all Guns. So why be a Sniper when you can be Rambo with a sniper rifle?
Just drop Con and Dex by one and up Str to 7 and your build is Endgame ready on level 1...

Have to agree, those stats are really wasteful. SMG with low DEX is straight up inferior to AR, even "flavour" wise there is little difference since usage is practically the same and there are no differentiating feats - AR's will just massively outdamage.

Sykar

Arcane
^ Why? the requirement for using sniper rifles is 5 strenght.
Yeah, but the reqs for ARs are 7 max. There are no good sniper perks aside from Snipe. And its all Guns. So why be a Sniper when you can be Rambo with a sniper rifle?
Just drop Con and Dex by one and up Str to 7 and your build is Endgame ready on level 1...

2 points is quite a bit espcially early game and for feat requiremends. Also there are quite a few great feats for Snipers which revolve around high single target burst and stealth which you can supplement with either PSI, traps or grenades.
Endgame Sniper rifles can hit for well over 1500 with a 24 AP Sniper over a really long range.

razvedchiki

Erudite
With a sniper you can open with snipe and a 12.7 bipod rifle for an instant kill,next turn use aimed shot again with the 12.7 for another kill and then use a rapid spearhead for 2 shots per turn,staying in maximum range with some dodge/evasion is quite viable even with 3 con in hard.
For pesky rathounds and the like you could bypass them with stealth or rathound regalia.

Sykar

Arcane
With a sniper you can open with snipe and a 12.7 bipod rifle for an instant kill,next turn use aimed shot again with the 12.7 for another kill and then use a rapid spearhead for 2 shots per turn,staying in maximum range with some dodge/evasion is quite viable even with 3 con in hard.
For pesky rathounds and the like you could bypass them with stealth or rathound regalia.

Trust me, the Spearhead one shots everything just fine. No need to waste a round when you can snipe someone for over 1k damage and 800+ damage in Aimed Shot in the first round.

Ivan

Arcane
My personal problem with RPGs is once I find/experience fun with a build I tend to always fall back on that. Having said that, I loved playing a speedy Knife dude in Underrail. Which are some other fun builds to get me out of my comfort zone?

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Hey Styg, I have a small polish-related suggestion.
How about giving melee weapons some additional "Hit" sounds? I always felt it was super weird how super beefed-up power fists would make the same lame "Thump" that a normal leather fighting glove does.

Maybe make it dependant on the damage recieved or something? I wanna hear a nice "Squelch"!

I hate searching for sound effects, man, I'd rather work on just about anything else in the game, and lucky for me, there's plenty. ;)

Black Angel

Arcane
My personal problem with RPGs is once I find/experience fun with a build I tend to always fall back on that. Having said that, I loved playing a speedy Knife dude in Underrail. Which are some other fun builds to get me out of my comfort zone?
What's your most fun build you're gonna fall back to in Underrail? Have you tried PSI-Stealth?

Sykar

Arcane

Same here, I tried multiple other builds but completed the game only on my PSI Sniper and did so twice.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I'm most certain that only eastern/central/south europeans -slavs who were under USSR can make a great gritty/grim, semi realistic, rational, atmospheric game with sound mechanic. That's why underrail is so good, because its made by a an inteligent rational serbian guy.
My Polish tribe is already getting too much westernized to do such masterpiece[especially without SJW bullshit].

Western RPGS were, are, and will be always shit.

ciox

Liturgist
Played the first Fallout? Otherwise sort of agree, though I can also see why you're getting shitted, as Underrail relies on a lot hindsight toward western RPGs to be so good.

I hate searching for sound effects, man, I'd rather work on just about anything else in the game, and lucky for me, there's plenty. ;)

The combat sounds are really good, especially the ding when your knife does 0 damage against a bot.

It's a few of the environment sounds I found annoying like the dreadnought drill which is quite a bad grating sound, and the malfunctioning lights areas where the light switching sounds are just reused UI sounds that can confuse you, that's the part where I could tell the team doesn't like searching for new sounds too much.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I just came by here to say that this game is great. It has very sound combat and character system mechanics, and seems very replayable. I'm currently 32 hours in in Core city, playing a stealthy psi Monk, but it's obvious the different kind of interesting styles you can try to play. Impressive

Decent to very good quests also, like the typical quest line in Junkyard with 2 factions. And some good locations like the core city.

The only gripes I have is the lack of a map, because all the areas looks very similar. In a game like Dark Souls you can get away without a map because the areas look very distinct, but here it's no funny to remember all the random tunnels. The key locations are fine.

It's a great accomplishment for a low budget game, and I'm very happy to have purchased it.

It would be great the next game being party based, or at least having companions like in Fallout. With the talent designing systems I'm sure It would be amazing to be able to play more varied tactical scenarios..

PD: now playing the arena and wishing An Underrail tactics game would exist.

Last edited:
I can't wait for the expansion because once Shotguns are added to the game, Underrail could become one of my favorite crpgs, up there with Fallout 1.

ciox

Liturgist
I can't wait for the expansion because once Shotguns are added to the game, Underrail could become one of my favorite crpgs, up there with Fallout 1.
I'm also looking forward to starting anew with a Temporal Shotgunner when the expansion arrives, even though that would be my 4th char, since the expansion seems to heavily encourage a new run, wonder when you get access to the new Atlantis area, guessing it's when you get to Core City.

epeli

Arcane
wonder when you get access to the new Atlantis area, guessing it's when you get to Core City.
Yup, Styg has confirmed as much. But the entire game is getting plenty of updates. Not just the expansion areas, though of course those contain the majority of new content.

Continuing with your favorite end-game character has its perks too. I, for one, can't wait to see the feat specializations for some of my characters.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
Will there be new harder encounters in line with the added player lvls?(in the base game).

There might be some, but we're focusing on mainly scaling the challenge through the difficulty levels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom