Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

DOS2 just made things worse for me cause it made me crave for a good game.
Is it shit? My comrade is playing it, and he's saying that inventory management is a horror on its own.

:philosoraptor:

Like with DOS1 it never grabbed me fully like with Underrail. I did play it more then DOS1 but not enough to finish it.
I did not finish Underrail but reached Deep Caverns and lost my saves. Good think I kept a backup for the expansion. Nevertheless Underrail in my eyes is the only pretender to Fallout 1/2/Arcanum throne. There is no other game like it out there. Do hope they will keep improve it and that we will see many expansions or sequels.
The main reason is that I am so fed up with party based RPG's , it's very important that your character is the main "hero". I loved how Arcanum treated this: you had great companions but with no direct control over them.
Hope we will see this in Underrail some day.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
DOS2 just made things worse for me cause it made me crave for a good game.
Is it shit? My comrade is playing it, and he's saying that inventory management is a horror on its own.

:philosoraptor:

It's uneven. The visuals are good, the atmosphere is not bad but everything else is ranging from mediocre to bad. The weakest point is the combat which requires only one type of strategy - damage is all that matters. Because of this it never delivers.

The first island is the best part of the game and then it slowly falls apart (last island was unfinished on release). Overall the game feels like a single-player MMORPG.

Compared to DOS2, Underrail seems to be down-to-earth and focused. The combat mechanics are solid, combat is fun and the game delivers a specific experience.

DOS2 is more for people easily charmed by pretty images. The combat mechanics don't stand up to scrutiny and level scaling is off the charts.

DOS2 biggest achievement is that is not obnoxiously retarded. It's not bad and there are a couple of good moments but it never delivers like Underrail. It's frustrating.

Last edited:

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
The main reason is that I am so fed up with party based RPG's
That's why I played solo DOS, and intended to do so in DOS2 when they patch it enough.

You are fed up with party rpgs that inflict the developer's characters on you. It is virtually impossible to be fed up with full party creation rpgs. Unless you have bad taste. In which case there is no accounting for that.

I doubt anyone with good taste would disagree the biggest flaw of the otherwise perfect masterpiece know as Underrail was no full party creation (and party). That was certainly true of Dungeon Rats and will be true of the Space Ship game, and every game without full party generation.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I fed up with long fights, that are long because you need to control all 4-6 members.
Thus I played with minimal amount of 2 in Wasteland, DOS, which was perfectly fine and all.
Just don't like cumbersome setups.

I doubt anyone with good taste would disagree the biggest flaw of the otherwise perfect masterpiece know as Underrail was no full party creation (and party).
I disagree, I don't need it at all, and fine as it is, also played Dungeoun Rats full party with no problem.

Tygrende

Arbiter
You are fed up with party rpgs that inflict the developer's characters on you. It is virtually impossible to be fed up with full party creation rpgs. Unless you have bad taste. In which case there is no accounting for that.

I doubt anyone with good taste would disagree the biggest flaw of the otherwise perfect masterpiece know as Underrail was no full party creation (and party). That was certainly true of Dungeon Rats and will be true of the Space Ship game, and every game without full party generation.
I disagree. I greatly prefer single character RPGs. I'd rather spend all of my effort and focus on making a specific build with an unique playstyle than divide it between multiple characters and be forced to pick multiple archetypes I'm not interested in.

I also find single character RPGs to be much more immersive, for obvious reasons. You can't exactly self-insert into 6 different characters, unless you suffer from a multiple personality disorder or something.

razvedchiki

Erudite
well i do prefer party based,simply because it allows you to try out many different builds at a time.
with one char restartitis to try out the next marvelous build is a real probelm.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

I disagree. I greatly prefer single character RPGs. I'd rather spend all of my effort and focus on making a specific build with an unique playstyle than divide it between multiple characters and be forced to pick multiple archetypes I'm not interested in.

I also find single character RPGs to be much more immersive, for obvious reasons. You can't exactly self-insert into 6 different characters, unless you suffer from a multiple personality disorder or something.

That is utterly ridiculous. Can you not be immersed in a book with multiple characters? Also, any game I can become immersed in is a passive game since immersion can only happen passively. It games where I am having a story dictated to me, like in a book or movie, and not an rpg where the goal is for me or my characters to create their own story.

And anyone who can be immersed in an active activity is not only severely mentally deficient, but crazy as fuck. It is impossible to be immersed in a game with huge pulsing flags of "GAME!!!!!" every second for all but the most insane.

I often become immersed in good movies, shows, and books. I rarely become immersed in games, because I like rpgs and not slightly interactive movies mislabeled as games. Games are and should be active.

As for parties and inserting yourself into them, you don't. There is no need for anyone to do that but the most crazy. I've created thousands of characters and I inserted their characters into them. If every character I made is me, it would certainly be silly to create a party of six of myself. I prefer to create a party of 3 to 4 unique characters. But I have no issue doing it for 6 either. Any more than 6 and it becomes diluted and more of a faceless management sim than my party but I cannot see how a normal person of normal intelligence would ever have an issue creating 3 or 4 distinct characters, especially if there is a robust character creation and development system.

For all its faults, i enjoyed DOS2. But I doubt I will ever replay it.

But Fuck man.

Underrail is my most played crpg.

I have played various builds, and completed Underrail multiple tomes. Be it Stealth Throwing Ninja, Psi Monk, Psionic wizard.

The roubustness of game systems and the full playthrough experience is extreme incline.

Different concepts actually play significantly different and not just combat. Stelthy Ninja is perhaps my favourite build to play in terms of exploration and Quest Resolution.

:salute: to Styg for making this top notch experience possible.

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
The combat system in this game is top notch. That is the reason why I want bigger battles with several controllable characters. I don't really care whether they are companions or not.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
The roubustness of game systems and the full playthrough experience is extreme incline.

Different concepts actually play significantly different and not just combat. Stelthy Ninja is perhaps my favourite build to play in terms of exploration and Quest Resolution.

I agree completely and am getting very impatient for the expansion. I really want to play through again but I keep thinking the expansion must be coming out soon so I'll wait. I really wish there was more information on this fucking thing. I really fucking hate the people that talk the devs to not even give an estimate. I just need an idea. I don't care if its missed by large factors. Just give me some fucking information. A wild estimate is better than nothing. Only fucking retards would rather have nothing than something, and only more retarded people would get upset if a date is missed or wildly inaccurate. Bad information is better than no information.

Tygrende

Arbiter
I just need an idea. I don't care if its missed by large factors. Just give me some fucking information. A wild estimate is better than nothing. Only fucking retards would rather have nothing than something, and only more retarded people would get upset if a date is missed or wildly inaccurate. Bad information is better than no information.
First half of 2017.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Often I come into the store and say I need to buy salt.
They say in return - you need to take meat also.
I said to them - no, I need only salt.
And they - take also a flour.
I cried loud - I need only my salt.
You should take sugar, they said.

So, I need my salt, and only one character in RPG....

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Often I come into the store and say I need to buy salt.
They say in return - you need to take meat also.
I said to them - no, I need only salt.
And they - take also a flour.
I cried loud - I need only my salt.
You should take sugar, they said.

So, I need my salt, and only one character in RPG....

Because the real way to rpg is solo? One character, friendless, versus the world? I hate people and even I have friends that would tote around with me in the event of the world needing some saving. Even Sherlock had Holmes, John Adams his wife, etc. The only thing better than making one character in a great rpg is making a party of 3 or 4. This is scientific fact. Either you hate science or you accept it.

Black Angel

Arcane
My only experiences with party-based RPGs were actually, ehem, with JRPGs like Final Fantasy 12. My recent experience of party-based cRPG is Baldur's Gate, of which I haven't advanced past the 3rd town.

Maybe because Underrail was my first cRPG that I gotten quite easily to single character cRPGs. The way Underrail designed was to accommodate single character, and it works. However, I'd love to see it being party based, whether controlling multiple characters or just give companions ala Fallout/Arcanum. Definitely gonna spice up the entire thing, making good stuff even better. I know Styg can do it, since there are already several instance of fights where our character have allied NPCs.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
My only experiences with party-based RPGs were actually, ehem, with JRPGs like Final Fantasy 12. My recent experience of party-based cRPG is Baldur's Gate, of which I haven't advanced past the 3rd town.

Maybe because Underrail was my first cRPG that I gotten quite easily to single character cRPGs. The way Underrail designed was to accommodate single character, and it works. However, I'd love to see it being party based, whether controlling multiple characters or just give companions ala Fallout/Arcanum. Definitely gonna spice up the entire thing, making good stuff even better. I know Styg can do it, since there are already several instance of fights where our character have allied NPCs.

jrpgs aren't rpgs. Unless you created your own party in BG you have no idea of the glory of party creation. I suggest you play ToEE or WL2. Let science prevail. Death to the science deniers!

ciox

Liturgist
There's nothing about Underrail that suggests it was made to be compatible with party gameplay, it's modelled after Fallout 1/2, which never had a focus on a party or companions. You use crafted energy shields to tank damage instead of tanky companions, and with the right build you can unleash a whole party's worth of punishment in one turn.

That said you do get that jetski in the expansion, given that its customizable and you can invest in its stats/power you could consider it a party member, especially if you're inclined to personify your "ride".

Latelistener

Arcane
While the rest of the game was obviously designed around single character, we still have things like the Junkyard battle, and the only thing dragging it down is the lack of control over friendly AI.
The combat system itself is good enough to support bigger fights.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
There's nothing about Underrail that suggests it was made to be compatible with party gameplay, it's modelled after Fallout 1/2, which never had a focus on a party or companions. You use crafted energy shields to tank damage instead of tanky companions, and with the right build you can unleash a whole party's worth of punishment in one turn.

That said you do get that jetski in the expansion, given that its customizable and you can invest in its stats/power you could consider it a party member, especially if you're inclined to personify your "ride".

What exactly is your problem with science?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom