Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail vs Age of Decadence

Aenra

I don't think it's fair to either party, comparing the two.. diferent merits, different goals. Assuming i can even say that.
(yes, it is 'a goal' to set out and eventually create a falloutish sequel. But if you want to brand that a goal..how would you describe that of the other party, deliberately setting out to promote a secondary element into a full blown feature?)
But anyway, different merits for sure. So rather unfair a comparison :)

Leaving the dick comparing aside, what i can say is that thus far, AoD is the only, literally and no exaggerating, indie game that i loved (enjoyed many. But loved?). The only indie game that i did not regret purchasing; that did not make me angry due to stupid, shallow or barely thought out decisions influencing each and every thing i did in it. And because we got to that, the "indie", let me put it differently since you know each game's strengths and weaknesses already:
Underrail could benefit from proper funding. AoD however would benefit exponentially from proper funding.

You only get that when you have a solid core. Solid. Someone with a brain sat down, thought shit through. Had a theory, and more importantly, had conceived of ways so as to actually formulate it. The fact that said person or persons had obviously read a fucking book or two in their lives only helped so as to elevate this even further. And it showed. God how it showed. That's what you can build on.

/want more
(even though i wouldn't consider me a storyfag)

gestalt11

Arbiter
I find that is Underrail considerably better at pulling you into the game at the beginning. Other than that both games have their good points and bad points and are pretty solid true non-fluff RPGs. They both have good replayability (for Underrail is more about doing different combat builds than story), both have a good amount of freedom. Neither one just hands you easy solutions. Both have a number of different ways to solve various problems.

I dunno why but I find the start of AoD pretty "Meh". But with Underrail I could get a pretty good feel for the game. Not saying Underrail start is awesome or anything, fuck those cave hoppers, but it sets the table enough to have you take a bite.

Beastro

Arcane
I dunno why but I find the start of AoD pretty "Meh". But with Underrail I could get a pretty good feel for the game. Not saying Underrail start is awesome or anything, fuck those cave hoppers, but it sets the table enough to have you take a bite.

The beginnings the best part. After Core City the game kinda falls apart

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Biggest Polish gaming magazine (circulation 130k) has decided to take part in our quarrel and in the same issue (03/2016) published reviews of UR and AoD:

vs
Serpent in the Staglands got 8/10 BTW. AoD > SitS > UR confirmed.

In case images will disappear some day, UR got 7.5 and AoD 9 and a seal of approval recommendation.

ColCol

Arcane
I've been lazy. What does the codex consensus seem to be for Underrail?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom