Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail worth it?

Shape

Educated
Underrail is 50% off on Steam at the moment so I'm thinking about buying it, but I wasnt able to find any reviews that could give me an idea on how well the storyline is written.. Is there any major C&C in the game? I've also heard some people say that its very linear when it comes to the questing experience, is that true?

Deleted Member 22431

Totally worth it. The main C&C is presented in the Core City faction quests, the rest is linear. The game is focused on the exploration of huge tunnels and caves, experimentation with different combat builds (perk combos, etc) in each replay and crafting different weapons and armors. The writing is mediocre.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
The exploration here is superb (if you think exploration in Gothic was great you should play UR, you can even blow up rubble that blocks your way and make your own passage), fights are fun and often challenging forcing you to use your brain instead of mindlessly clicking on an enemy, crafting is quite complex and well developed, character creation is well designed and allows for different builds and different playthroughs (not as good as in Age of Decadence though). The plot and dialogues are decent and even though most quests are fetch/kill quests there are many very interesting ones so that the player wouldn't get bored.

The game isn't without flaws of course. My main gripe with this game is that you can't run here and travelling is so slow. Due to this about half of your gameplay time will be spent on walking from point A to B. It's not as bad as in Bethesda games though where locations are bloated so that the world would seem bigger. You also can't buy or sell what you need/want because vendors will only buy specific items and in low numbers. The end game also sucks, the last level is just tedious and stupidly designed. http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...awakens-released.105387/page-151#post-4319112

There is an old demo available, you can try it first. Although for this price you should buy it, it's definitely worth it.

Shape

Educated
The exploration here is superb (if you think exploration in Gothic was great you should play UR, you can even blow up rubble that blocks your way and make your own passage), fights are fun and often challenging forcing you to use your brain instead of mindlessly clicking on an enemy, crafting is quite complex and well developed, character creation is well designed and allows for different builds and different playthroughs (not as good as in Age of Decadence though). The plot and dialogues are decent and even though most quests are fetch/kill quests there are many very interesting ones so that the player wouldn't get bored.

The game isn't without flaws of course. My main gripe with this game is that you can't run here and travelling is so slow. Due to this about half of your gameplay time will be spent on walking from point A to B. It's not as bad as in Bethesda games though where locations are bloated so that the world would seem bigger. You also can't buy or sell what you need/want because vendors will only buy specific items and in low numbers. The end game also sucks, the last level is just tedious and stupidly designed. http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...awakens-released.105387/page-151#post-4319112

There is an old demo available, you can try it first. Although for this price you should buy it, it's definitely worth it.

Dziękuje Góral for the lengthy answer! Since you brought up Age of Decadence, I was wondering whether you could compare the two from a purely RPG perspective? Which one allows more space for your own choice and which game has better storyline from your perspective?

M0RBUS

Augur
Underrail does feature choices and branching paths and stuff, it's just not as awesome as Age of Decadence.
The combat and exploration and the crafting (to a lesser extent) are fantastic.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Underrail is 50% off on Steam at the moment so I'm thinking about buying it, but I wasnt able to find any reviews that could give me an idea on how well the storyline is written.. Is there any major C&C in the game? I've also heard some people say that its very linear when it comes to the questing experience, is that true?

Buy it. And stfu.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
At its heart it is more like an old-school dungeon crawler with a perfunctory world, but with deep combat interactions.

Severian Silk

AoD is p lame and overrated IMO. You can role-play a jerk, or a slightly bigger jerk, or an Asian jerk, or maybe even a female jerk! So many choice!

Last edited by a moderator:

Atchodas

Augur
OP baiting , Underrail on 50% off must be what ? like 5 euro ? if you ever paid for any other game and i bet you did then obviously its worth it

Glop_dweller

Prophet
It will be worth it (for me) when it comes to GoG.

...So will that happen anytime soon?

Glop_dweller

Prophet
GoG's search needs work. I know I checked first, but maybe I only typed it with one 'r'?

:cool:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Depends what you expect. Combat is fantastic, exploration and atmosphere are superb.

Interface is atrocious, C&C is nonexistent, story consists mostly of generic RPG fetch quest, and amount of backtracking combined with walking animation will make you want to kill yourself.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
" C&C is nonexistent "

That's a flat out lie. Unless your definition of 'non existent' actually means it is exists or 'not at FO's level'. Fukkin' morans abusing words.

"Interface is atrocious"

Bullshitz.

"amount of backtracking combined with walking animation will make you want to kill yourself."

Nope.

Atchodas

Augur
Underrail has the best Interface from all recently released RPGS , you can KEYBIND EVERYTHING , and only use mouse to target NPC's .

There are like 40 or so keybind slots , you can bind everything ranging from gadgets and utilities to different Ammo . And all these Keybinds are intergrated into UI you dont even need to go to options to bind something .

In todays world of consoletardation , this is TRUE INCLINE .

Black Angel

Arcane
I don't really get the interface complain. At most, the complain that made most sense would be if the interface was too MMO-ish and I absolutely agree with said complain. Thing is, it works. But then again, Underrail was my first cRPG ever, so don't mind my opinion about the interface working if you know some other game with absolutely better working interface for cRPGs.

vmar

Savant
Interface is fine, backtracking/walking speed is a legit complaint although it didn't bother me.

Atchodas

Augur
Backtracking is what gives Underrail its feel , you have a mission to go to lost facility far away ? well thats exactly what you gonna do , walk trough hundreds of tunnels getting lost in a process , i kinda dig that there is no fast travel ( well there are few metro lines between big cities and that makes sense ) , also Walking speed felt immersive i mean you are most likely carrying ton of crafting materials an assault rifle and armor made of steel ...

It is really sad that this is biggest complain even here on the codex , it just shows that most of you have no idea about rpgs and just sperg random shit

UI is this... walking speed that .. too many crafting components .. too many containers to check .. fucking fallout 4 playerbase .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom