Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Prototype Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
...and it's done.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
@UW1 stream(http://bit.ly/1ALG2Na): Richard Garriot just mentioned "...how we engage female gamers..."

Wait, wait, wait. Does UA have a SJW agenda? Has anyone asked them about that stuff yet?

They did mention purposely designing the female Thief in the three classes concept art to not be exploitative-looking.

But Garriott was really just rambling about random stuff, as he does.

Gord

Arcane
Wait, wait, wait. Does UA have a SJW agenda? Has anyone asked them about that stuff yet?

Someone just got triggered...

:bunkertime:

Seriously though, there's a difference between SJWs and wanting to "engage more female gamers".

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
What a fickle bunch. I don't like the trinkets either but ask yourselves:

Are you willing to admit that despite your better senses, that trinkets will part the simple with their coins? If you answer yes, then withdrawing or reducing your pledge is a retarded action if you believe funds will increase the quality of the game. Makes no sense whatsoever to display edge. "I'll show you, I'll hurt myself!"

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Are you willing to admit that despite your better senses, that trinkets will part the simple with their coins? If you answer yes, then withdrawing or reducing your pledge is a retarded action if you believe funds will increase the quality of the game. Makes no sense whatsoever to display edge. "I'll show you, I'll hurt myself!"
Plenty of big time KS had been even more successful than this without giving out exclusive trinkets or far fewer (PoE gives a "pet" that literally does nothing. WL2 gave a "non-balance" affecting skill [which turned out to be wl history lesson]). These were also not tiered. Just recently SR:HK avoided any in game giveaways I believe as did TToN. There are plenty of other examples.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

Plenty of big time KS had been even more successful than this without giving out exclusive trinkets or far fewer (PoE gives a "pet" that literally does nothing. WL2 gave a "non-balance" affecting skill [which turned out to be wl history lesson]). These were also not tiered. Just recently SR:HK avoided any in game giveaways I believe as did TToN. There are plenty of other examples.

I am not arguing for trinkets, I am saying that withdrawal or reduction of pledges in protest of trinkets is counter-productive.

Also, you didn't answer the question.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
I pledged at $150 plus shipping, threw an extra 5 bux at the Avatar of the underworld thing and have not been convinced to increase it yet. If they move enhanced sound to $800k or if the $850k comes into range or introduce some gotta-have-it physical add-on perhaps but the trinkets are cheap tricks and are less than worthless for me... I fucking hate 'em but if it get them cash then I just have to hold my nose until after the campaign.

Darkzone

Arcane
It's the pushy email that irks me, not the trinkets.
Amusingly, my reaction is the exact opposite :)
I do not like both things. Therefore i have a problem to raise my pledge.

Bertha and Bert are a good examples that i like, because they provide some depth and do not make the game more easy.
It can be even said that if Betha would cost additional resources, this would also add to the atmosphere of the game.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
I posted this on their forum in response to your post regarding sooo many trinkets Infinitron

I second the ability to toggle [digital extra and backer items] off. Optionally have them appear over the course over the game and let the player decide if they want them or not. At my pledge level I get all digital things but I have to say that I don't want them for a few reasons:

1) They are fodder items that pollute games with micro-transactions - except the ask is to fund a game that is decidedly nothing like those games whatsoever.

2) They are fodder items that turned free-to-play into pay-to-win

So while Otherside is selling a game will be properly old school, they are subjecting their audience to practices of garbage game producers.

More worrying to me is the evidence that item scarcity and value is severely diminished as compared to UU. If I found a spike in UU it was valuable and could save my life -- a scrap of metal.

If we can justify giving 100 digital add-on items the player before even firing the game up, how much trash will there be in the game itself and have we lost sight of scavenging?

These are my thoughts on it and I suspect these are some underlying reasons why people are bothered by their approach to the campaign. I don't disagree, but I hold my nose just to get the fucking thing funded with maybe some extra content.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm sure it'll hit $750k which is a good spot. The $800k tier is stupid.

Darkzone

Arcane
I'm sure it'll hit $750k which is a good spot.
:lol: Just 7.5k before 750k, and with over 1k pro 30min. :lol: Honestly i cannot stop laugh. The question is will they make 60k today, or will they reach tomorrow at 15.00 CET the 800k? Nothing against you Metro, but i'm an arrogant asshole.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm sure it'll hit $750k which is a good spot.
:lol: Just 7.5k before 750k, and with over 1k pro 30min. :lol: Honestly i cannot stop laugh. The question is will they make 60k today, or will they reach tomorrow at 15.00 CET the 800k? Nothing against you Metro, but i'm an arrogant asshole.

Right now they are at their 4th best day with only $10K to go before it would be the 3rd highest pledge day. Not bad but I kind of thought it's final "push to the finish line" would have begun a day earlier. Because it only started today will probably keep it under $800K which isn't bad considering how long it took just getting to it's baseline goal.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I haven't been tracking the rate, although I do find it pretty surprising they're getting $1,000 every 30 minutes. But, ultimately it doesn't matter since the $800k goal is shit.

Darkzone

Arcane
Right now they are at their 4th best day with only $10K to go before it would be the 3rd highest pledge day. Not bad but I kind of thought it's final "push to the finish line" would have begun a day earlier. Because it only started today will probably keep it under $800K which isn't bad considering how long it took just getting to it's baseline goal.
I have looked at the computer game kickstarter and have discovered certain similarities, which naturally not always and not all have to apply to a kickstarter. But therefore i allow myself for speculations about the end result.
The day difference is not a problem, if the end function raises with a certain factor. You could have very fast raising 2 days (PoE), but you could have also a slow rising function over 4 days. (SH:HK)
They will make it to 850k if they not make any further mistakes. Yesterday they have made 37k till 0.00 EST. Today they started slow but they have gained speed at 14.00 CET. It is nearly 17.00 in your time, and they have made today 40k. And the next 7-8 hours should also be very good. (20k and more probably) So they made around 77k till now in 41h, that is not bad, and they have still 40h to go, where the revenues should raise faster than the last 41h. My prediction was if this ks is not influenced then they will make over 160k in the last three days. Half the time has passed and they made half the money. But it has been influenced so they will make probaly in the last 24h more, than i predicted from the third day of the kickstarter. Perhaps even more then $100k.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Are you fuckers stupid.

OH i wonder what made it raise so sudden. It is not like a ton of people get payed around this period of time.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Can't fault them for not being honest:

Codernova | AoUA 3 minutes ago -- My interpretation of giving us the book and the companions as stretch goals is that they are two that are primarily for revenue generation. The more expansive goals like Swamp, Lizardmen, Necropolis, etc. are probably more costly in time/money to produce, so they need to be buffered with these other goals. $50k is really not a lot of money.

Jeffrey Kesselman 1 minutes ago -- Codernova has the general idea. Remember that these originally were all bundled together but we were afraid that $150K stretch goals seemed too daunting so we split them up.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What exactly does the tier add? Please tell me it's not as stupid as non combat pets.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom