Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Release Thread

Not when those games are that old.

Nyast

Cipher
Those graphics don't look too bad and I kind of like the lighting ( at least it's not all brown/blue shit like in other games ), but the monster animations, humm.. it looks so exagerated that it's hard to take them seriously. I suppose I should be scared but my reaction is "LoL". I hope they'll make a lot of improvements to them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Animations aren't final: https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=1150.msg18357#msg18357

Also the skeleton is using a drunk animation set, so yes they are drunk.
You're correct tho--we grabbed whatever and ran with it. We have a couple of really good animators in the cue--one of them did the 'taunt' where the skeleton screams at you--easily the best and most expressive piece the skeleton has.

Update coming tomorrow:

Thanks! The update is due tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing your feedback -- and the crazy methods you can devise to access all of the hidden gold bars.

The skeleton with the "strong" glowing eyes, helmet and armor, and glowing war paint is also... well, you'll find out soon enough.
smiley.gif

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
On doors and other stuff: https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=1150.msg18380#msg18380

The Wood shader needs some serious love. It's one of those tasks that kept getting pushed down the list because of more pressing needs. The shape and feel is all there, but i agree its very plastic.

Rats--oh I so agree...8 legged rats with big pointy teeth.

Sound--we didn't do much with sound on this demo. Thefastestmanalive is awesome, but I'd rather he concentrate on the overall task of what sound is, and not banging out placeholder not representative sounds for a prototype.

Lighting- part of the brightness of the end area has already been toned way back. But, there is a ton of discussions inhouse about 'real' lighting and 'game' lighting. I would love if we can do every light has a source in the world...but in all honesty that can be extremely difficult to pull off, and can easily not look great. In my opinion that is the bar I want to hit, but reality might interfere. In the opening hallway area there is only one non-sourced light in the whole section, really to show off the difference between the two philosophies. (the green glow is just a point light-everything else has a source be it torch or lava)

The next area I'm building I hope to have no game lighting...and see where that takes us. It also won't be lava or orange...partly for my own sanity.

As I mentioned earlier, there is some material work to be done to the skeletons, and animation is all work in progress too. For that matter so is the model, but I admit, I'm pretty pleased with the model itself.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Nekot-The-Brave Doctor Sbaitso They've released the pre-alpha prototype to backers.

https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=1152.0
Today, we’ve uploaded our new PRE-ALPHA PROTOTYPE for you to test out!
If you already purchased it, it will be uploaded to Steam this afternoon!
If you feel left out and want to take it for a spin:

Go to https://underworld-ascendant.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders
Add "Prototype Access" to the cart and click check out
Enter the email address to use; I suggest the same used for Kickstarter or your OtherSide account
Wait until your payment is processed; this is not automatic so can take time (up to 1 week--poor producer does this manually)
Go back to backer kit and retrieve the account, and copy the code in the Digital Reward section. Paste that into Steam.

In it, you’re tasked with discovering what led an Underworld settlement to become overrun by undead. Four story tablets detailing the events are hidden in randomized locations throughout the level, such as inside chests, in sarcophagi, on raised platforms, or behind objects. Runestones (a required component in formulas for spells) and bonus gold bar collectables can also be found, sometimes in spots that require careful thought and skill to reach.

This area is infested with a band of fierce skeleton warriors, who you can battle with a longsword, stealthily evade, or devise other clever ways to deal with them. (Hint: Many objects in the world react to fire, air, earth, and plant spells, allowing for fun experimentation.)

While previous maps features blank, featureless walls and floors, the PRE-ALPHA PROTOTYPE shows progress on the game’s “Authored Look,” which attempts to recreate the look and feel of hand-sculpted fantasy miniatures and tabletop boards.

At the same time, it is an early work-in-progress. The visuals and audio will continue to improve steadily over the balance of this year. Current placeholder elements -- such as the player model, the user interface for spell casting, and spell effects -- will be greatly refined.

Its look and quality are in no way representative of the final game, so expect to see a few rough edges, but we hope you’ll like the direction it’s headed.

HOW TO PLAY

A PC with a good graphics card (960 NVIDIA class card or faster) is recommended. The map is not yet fully optimized for frame rate.

If you’ve played the previous prototype maps before, make sure you close Steam and restart it to prompt the update.

If you haven’t played the prototype maps yet…

First off, you’ll need Steam and to look up the Steam key you were sent earlier.

To activate it, follow these simple steps:
1. Launch the Steam client software and log into your Steam account.
2. Click the Games Menu, or in the lower left corner is a ‘+ Add a game’ button.
3. Choose Activate a Product on Steam...
4. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the process.
Enjoy! We look forward to your feedback and hearing the craziest methods you devised for tracking down all the hard-to-find loot.

Best,

All of us at OtherSide
Play Notes

SWINGING A SWORD & CASTING SPELLS

To swing a sword:
• Draw back to prepare a blow (hold down the Left Mouse button or Right Trigger for at least a beat), then release when you want to make the attack. If you hold down too briefly your attack will be aborted.
• Holding longer produces a more powerful chop.
• Swinging while backing up produces a stab.

Note: This is not necessarily the final swing mechanic the game will use.

To cast a spell:
• Hit Tab or Back to bring up the Rune Menu
• Enter in a spell formula
• Hit Tab or Back to exit the Rune Menu
• Cast the spell by hitting the Left Mouse Button or Right Trigger

A few useful spell formulas:
• MOVE AIR (Ehwaz Hagalaz): Creates a blast of air
• MOVE EARTH (Ehwaz Eiwaz): Levitates stone objects
• MOVE PLANT (Ehwaz Jera): Levitates wooden objects
• CREATE PLANT (Berkanon Jera) (while aimed at a ceiling): Produces a climbable vine
• CREATE FIRE (Berkanon Kenaz): Lights wooden objects on fire

To switch back and forth between Spells and Swords, press 1 and 2 or Y.

OBJECT INTERACTION
• To interact with an object, tap E or X.
• To grab an object, hold E or X. Then, to drop, hold E or X again.
• Many doors are locked, but since they’re made out of wood can be chopped down, burnt down by spreading fire (by holding a barrel up to a torch, then holding it against the door), or burnt down using a CREATE FIRE (Berkanon Kenaz) spell.
• Stone coffin lids are very heavy, but the player can open them by either:
o Grabbing and pulling up, over, and down. (Note: This is intentionally tough.)
o Casting a MOVE EARTH (Ehwaz Eiwaz) spell on them to make a lid levitate.
• Objects suspended by rope can be dropped by setting the rope on fire.

Controls

GAME CONTROLLER

• Look – Right stick
• Move – Left stick
• A – Jump
• B – Crouch/Uncrouch
• Left shoulder – Hold to sprint

• X – Interact (Tap to frob. Hold to grab or drop.)
• Start – Pause menu
• Y - Switch between Spells & Sword

• SWORD
o Right trigger – Attack
o Hold to prepare an attack. Release to attack.
o Hold longer to ready a chop.
o Hold while retreating to stab.

• SPELLS
o Back - Access menu to enter rune formula
o Right trigger - Cast selected spell

KEYBOARD
• WASD – Move
• Mouse - Look
• Space bar - Jump
• Ctrl - Crouch/Uncrouch
• Shift – Hold to sprint

• E – Interact (Tap to frob. Hold to grab.)
• Escape – Pause menu
• 1 - Select Spells
• 2 - Select Sword

• SWORD
o L-Mouse – Attack
o Hold to prepare an attack. Release to attack.
o Hold longer to ready a chop.
o Hold while retreating to stab.

• SPELLS
o Tab - Access menu to enter rune formula
o L-Mouse - Cast selected spell

Known Issues & Placeholder Art

In this work-in-progress prototype, you may encounter a number of known issues, including, but not limited to:
• Fire cannot be transferred to crates and lava currently does not set objects on fire.
• Missing audio for opening chests, rune pick-up, and player footsteps.
• Placeholder character model.
• Early pass at vfx for spells and fire.
• Missing or placeholder destruction state for objects like crates and barrels.
• Occasional pathing issues for skeletons.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Cool. I have been holding off on dropping another 5 bux on the prototype (already dropped enough). Might shell out to play with this and give feedback.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New alpha prototype version out today. Here are the notes from the instructional email - they contain some idea of what gameplay is like. It appears that action will have a decent amount of "weight": you don't just click spam to swing your sword - you have to wind up. Opening a heavy sarcophagus requires ponderous mouse gestures instead of a simple click, which actually sounds cool.

Greetings, backer!

Thanks again for your generous backing of Underworld Ascendant. Your pledge support has greatly helped our quest to bring The Stygian Abyss back to life.

As a backer with PROTOTYPE ACCESS, you’ve already received special early admittance to our PLAYGROUND and COMBAT maps, which focused on core game mechanics like physics interactions, magic, and swordplay.

Today, we’ve uploaded our new PRE-ALPHA PROTOTYPE for you to test out!

In it, you’re tasked with discovering what led an Underworld settlement to become overrun by undead. Four story tablets detailing the events are hidden in randomized locations throughout the level, such as inside chests, in sarcophagi, on raised platforms, or behind objects. Runestones (a required component in formulas for spells) and bonus gold bar collectables can also be found, sometimes in spots that require careful thought and skill to reach.

This area is infested with a band of fierce skeleton warriors, who you can battle with a longsword, stealthily evade, or devise other clever ways to deal with them. (Hint: Many objects in the world react to fire, air, earth, and plant spells, allowing for fun experimentation.)

While previous maps features blank, featureless walls and floors, the PRE-ALPHA PROTOTYPE shows progress on the game’s “Authored Look,” which attempts to recreate the look and feel of hand-sculpted fantasy miniatures and tabletop boards.

At the same time, it is an early work-in-progress. The visuals and audio will continue to improve steadily over the balance of this year. Current placeholder elements -- such as the player model, the user interface for spell casting, and spell effects -- will be greatly refined.

Its look and quality are in no way representative of the final game, so expect to see a few rough edges, but we hope you’ll like the direction it’s headed.

HOW TO PLAY

A PC with a good graphics card (960 NVIDIA class card or faster) is recommended. The map is not yet fully optimized for frame rate.

If you’ve played the previous prototype maps before, make sure you close Steam and restart it to prompt the update.

If you haven’t played the prototype maps yet…

First off, you’ll need Steam and to look up the Steam key you were sent earlier.

To activate it, follow these simple steps:

1. Launch the Steam client software and log into your Steam account.
  2. Click the Games Menu, or in the lower left corner is a ‘+ Add a game’ button.
  3. Choose Activate a Product on Steam...
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the process.
Enjoy! We look forward to your feedback and hearing the craziest methods you devised for tracking down all the hard-to-find loot.

Best,

All of us at OtherSide

Play Notes

SWINGING A SWORD & CASTING SPELLS

To swing a sword:

·Draw back to prepare a blow (hold down the Left Mouse button or Right Trigger for at least a beat), then release when you want to make the attack. If you hold down too briefly your attack will be aborted.

·Holding longer produces a more powerful chop.

·Swinging while backing up produces a stab.

Note: This is not necessarily the final swing mechanic the game will use.

To cast a spell:

·Hit Tab or Back to bring up the Rune Menu

·Enter in a spell formula

·Hit Tab or Back to exit the Rune Menu

·Cast the spell by hitting the Left Mouse Button or Right Trigger

A few useful spell formulas:

·MOVE AIR (Ehwaz Hagalaz): Creates a blast of air

·MOVE EARTH (Ehwaz Eiwaz): Levitates stone objects

·MOVE PLANT (Ehwaz Jera): Levitates wooden objects

·CREATE PLANT (Berkanon Jera) (while aimed at a ceiling): Produces a climbable vine

·CREATE FIRE (Berkanon Kenaz): Lights wooden objects on fire

To switch back and forth between Spells and Swords, press 1 and 2 or Y.

OBJECT INTERACTION

·To interact with an object, tap E or X.

·To grab an object, hold E or X. Then, to drop, hold E or X again.

·Many doors are locked, but since they’re made out of wood can be chopped down, burnt down by spreading fire (by holding a barrel up to a torch, then holding it against the door), or burnt down using a CREATE FIRE (Berkanon Kenaz) spell.

·Stone coffin lids are very heavy, but the player can open them by either:

oGrabbing and pulling up, over, and down. (Note: This is intentionally tough.)

oCasting a MOVE EARTH (Ehwaz Eiwaz) spell on them to make a lid levitate.

·Objects suspended by rope can be dropped by setting the rope on fire.

Controls

GAME CONTROLLER

·Look – Right stick

·Move – Left stick

·A – Jump

·B – Crouch/Uncrouch

·Left shoulder – Hold to sprint

·X – Interact (Tap to frob. Hold to grab or drop.)

·Start – Pause menu

·Y - Switch between Spells & Sword

·SWORD

oRight trigger – Attack

oHold to prepare an attack. Release to attack.

oHold longer to ready a chop.

oHold while retreating to stab.

·SPELLS

oBack - Access menu to enter rune formula

oRight trigger - Cast selected spell

KEYBOARD

·WASD – Move

·Mouse - Look

·Space bar - Jump

·Ctrl - Crouch/Uncrouch

·Shift – Hold to sprint

·E – Interact (Tap to frob. Hold to grab.)

·Escape – Pause menu

·1 - Select Spells

·2 - Select Sword

·SWORD

oL-Mouse – Attack

oHold to prepare an attack. Release to attack.

oHold longer to ready a chop.

oHold while retreating to stab.

·SPELLS

oTab - Access menu to enter rune formula

oL-Mouse - Cast selected spell

Known Issues & Placeholder Art

In this work-in-progress prototype, you may encounter a number of known issues, including, but not limited to:

·Fire cannot be transferred to crates and lava currently does not set objects on fire.

·Missing audio for opening chests, rune pick-up, and player footsteps.

·Placeholder character model.

·Early pass at vfx for spells and fire.

·Missing or placeholder destruction state for objects like crates and barrels.

·Occasional pathing issues for skeletons.
EDIT: ninjad and threadjacked
229.gif

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Played it a bit. It's pretty cool. There's a mouse cursor bug now that makes spellcasting a problem, but once that's fixed, Nekot-The-Brave is going to have a blast exploring this place in his video.

Ash

Arcane
What's with the idle sway when standing still? Needs to be less subtle. Looking good though. Hope it ends up everything the older games were and more.

Mustawd

Could be a little bit faster movement IMO. Compared to Arx, it feels a bit sluggish.

Ash

Arcane
There's a sprint input, the author of that video just seemingly wasn't aware of it.

Mustawd

Oh ok. That makes more sense. Reminds me of Deus Ex in that regard.

Still..it could stand to be a tiny bit faster at default. Deus felt faster on walk..or maybe it's just the swaying? *shrug*

Ash

Arcane
What's with the idle sway when standing still? Needs to be less subtle. Looking good though. Hope it ends up everything the older games were and more.

Needs to be more subtle. Duh.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=1152.msg18488#msg18488

Chris Siegel said:
Collision/getting hung up on objects--There are a number of issues going on with the geo, from some just being problematic and annoying, to some assets not made correctly , to a combo of both. The next area is built completely with gameplay in mind, jump heights, mantle heights exc. all being prebuilt into the assets we are going to be using to make the world. To avoid some if not most of the collision issues you have experienced the collision will be done early in the asset creation. There is so much collision that was hand done--which is a special kind of hell to try and do when there is so much stuff in the level.
Lighting skeletons on fire--that will come.
Crate thrown objects causing damage- it’s in the current sprint. We are big fans of throwing things.
Movement and whatnot- this will be continually tweaked as we go. Right now it is 'good enough' that we can get around and work on other stuff.
Idle animation- yes that will go away. It drives me nuts too. If we didn't shut off the footsteps, it sounds like you are tap-dancing while standing still.
Spell targeting--that will be available eventually. For now, just pretend you are a wild mage.
Player hand obstruction—yeah that won’t be there long. 
Stealth was not supported. I think ‘crouch makes you invisible’ might be in the build tho.

The basketball—nah just threw it in there. Seems like it should be in every LGS inspired game. Look for it and designer ‘sigs’ throughout the game as we make it. I believe in designers putting their ‘mark’ on their work.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Working on my video, was working a bunch of overtime so couldn't get around to trying the prototype till this morning. Still having issues with the 'disappearing cursor bug' that happens at random but permanently. Definitely won't take 2 hours to show you all the features of it though ;)

Zep, if someone ever catches you playing the game, bought legally or pirated, I'll hire someone to come and punch you in the nose.
Don't you have a more important crusade to follow than puking all day long over a prototype made by Paul Neurath and Warren Spector? Are they your abusive landlords or petty bosses?
No need to answer bro.

ZEP.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So my video finally got uploaded. Seems I encountered the 'crouch makes you invisible' feature =P. I still encountered the disappearing cursor bug, but at the very end of the video when I wanted to demonstrate some of the spells after getting all of the collectibles. I didn't screw too much on anything that I was demonstrating, so I didn't need to cut to a fast forward this time. This was also the first time that I actually used any skills or spells as my cursor would always disappear whenever I started the game, this was the first time it didn't.

This is a playthrough of the Undworld Ascendant Prototype that Otherside Games released a few days ago.

This playthrough includes getting all of the collectibles and exploring most of the areas and features that the prototype level has to offer. This includes skills, acrobatics, (some) magic, sneaking, and swordplay.

There are some minor framerate issues right at the beginning and then one time at the very end, but otherwise it's a really smooth ride on the 'good' graphics setting (was having some really horrible/unexplainable framerate issues while recording at a higher resolution and higher graphics levels).

This is a bit late on being uploaded because life got in the way =P Hope you guys enjoy though :)

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Looks better in motion than on the screens - still the "interactive" glow is quite ugly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom