Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Release Thread

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Sound Blaster Pro had the best music for the original Underworld. While MT32 had more real instrument samples the orchestration was garbage and the music often got in the way and/or suffered from a shitty mix. Conversely the SBPro music while technically more simplistic, was infinitely more subtle and atmospheric IMO and provided a much better backdrop.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://underworldascendant.com/news/6-27_update.php

-nyFScRhLb5kGTvkW6pyMhco59mQW8LEA1H-UXn7UXZSsMk3vAnvtvn9JGlB7VDLMtCRqroUVBP9i3QVIWqP6TlzGj9lSF6tP_zzDXaIYIU9zQE3GhfrutSe0THuZefW2_-eIthK2rC9cIN3l9U_la3i_ASeCWBORk_JxmY=s0-d-e1-ft
Issue #26, June 28th, 2016

Greetings, backers! Hope you're having a fantastic summer, full of fun, sun, and games. (And for our backers in the Southern hemisphere, stay warm! As they say, winter’s coming.)

Like we mentioned last update, team members have been working on the Vertical Slice of Underworld Ascendant, which takes place on the second level of the game including the neutral zone of Marcaul and more.

There's much we'll have to tell about it in the coming weeks and months, but for now, we want to keep mum and wait until we can show you more polished work in action.

However, we have an important news announcement to share with you first...

Stephen Russell’s Role Revealed in Underworld Ascendant!
lZAxRoSpH52udsrdYg9MX0gU-QrYiMCaM76t81_Km1px3E-VbGZDB5b9xt9uLxE4Mwg125ts6YzywQucL-VLF00MLU-Zr2OBSWcRSLlra_NiProKYRPTVnK43kAU_LU0HnaDYU6sWLZ-9BQLuu-Ti9o7TsoXDgUq2KYoXxY=s0-d-e1-ft

We announced back during the Kickstarter that Looking Glass' fan favorite voice talent Stephen Russell and Terri (System Shock's SHODAN) Brosius would take part inUnderworld Ascendant, but haven't revealed either of their roles... until now.

Stephen will play the role of Cabirus, the character responsible for the establishing the fallen utopia in Ultima Underworld before his mysterious, untimely death. While you've never encountered Cabirus directly before, you've certainly seen the huge impact he had on The Stygian Abyss. In Underworld Ascendant you'll come face-to-face with him... somehow... and learn about the secret pre-history of the series, directly from its enigmatic founder.

pvat6L2JM7wU8Dl_CYZUy7K5lSqy5p0YZaH7y6wkLgCdO45u9od-5eZ_4QcXOQKmbCJdcygLJQ-EoxeqVdWdCgmJN5jz3_jDAf7o_PARiG_kpO-L8isXGJ1b4M5CV-dqnXzkD--TVxs4cmAr782VgNLfiJby_AaFe4vmYCU=s0-d-e1-ft

You likely know Stephen from such roles as Garrett in Looking Glass' Thief: The Dark Project and Thief II: The Metal Age and Codsworth and Nick (!!!) Valentine from Bethesda's Fallout series. He's also set to play Corvo in Arkane’s Dishonored II, which we're looking forward to playing this coming November.

We'll reveal much more about Cabirus and his unique place in Underworld Ascendantsoon. In the meantime, here are a few samples of Stephen's fantastic work:
Have a favorite role from Stephen? Share it with us on the forum
Kickstarting a Reimagined System Shock!
hOzap7wClDgr8Deu3-OY4Mc7Y2AXn3QcXbUjB6JjpzlIqsfqr-fixK2Uc6epaXtYnC5CpQLbDe3Ved_u_yNU-cJbFqQqPS-aRRxONAri_aVj1Jaw5bXt_6RYc9rjtfPlEL87Ofwe37oD9WOhLAaheYnezmTnL2ajuMBIJ7M=s0-d-e1-ft

As you'll recall, OtherSide Entertainment is in the process of spooling up an Austin-based development studio under Warren Spector -- who recently closed out the PC Gaming Show at E3 -- for the highly-anticipated System Shock 3. (If you haven't signed up for the newsletter for updates on SS3 yet, you can do so here.)

Meanwhile, our friends over at Night Dive Studios are revitalizing the original System Shock using a modern engine, along with the series' visionary concept artist Robb Waters. Our own Paul Neurath, who worked on System Shock and System Shock 2, will also be providing creative input and feedback.

y6RXDpZnUKDj-_E5f14mZZStmqPVqB2rjh8YX6p7duA0mleFPNDIztnDQnUwvbv6YrhzOsCsUJ2XUBYROOskyVnZP-k8Ik4-7mA_6j_ngAaOwuk9pTYqy_3xaTcoHL18x3yLV8SHFzeFxrmCWBgcfAYj7cESRb0zjqUkal8=s0-d-e1-ft

Citadel Station, as you've never seen it before.

In case you missed it, Night Dive just launched a Kickstarter for the project today.

You can learn all about their plans for the game, the rewards they're offering, and how to get a hold of the demo, right here.

Hope you'll check it out!
Until next time, thanks again for all your support.
Best,
The Team at OtherSide

PS – We'll be shifting the newsletters to once a month as we dig deeper into game production. Updates will come more frequently toward the end, as we have MUCH more to show and tell. Until then, make sure to check out our Twitter and Facebookpages for up-to-the-minute info and fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=1197.msg19403#msg19403

Hrm...new pics and stuff. Probably August. We are just really head down into the remaining prepro, art and whatnot. We really are hitting the second phase of development. We feel the gameplay is proven, more time being spent on AI and fleshing out those systems. The last big system is the backbone of the Vertical Slice which is the adaptive quest system.

I will say, I'm getting cool art to look at daily, but nothing worth showing off to the public yet. Personally Joe and I have been fleshing out the levels --what is in them, what they contain look wise, expected gameplay in an area. This will give the level designer and level architects enough to go on and start building these out. Level's one and two are very understood at this point, level 3 right behind them. We know what the end is--which is pretty important. All the experiments have given us a good idea on 'how' to put these together. This is the point that stuff is going to start coming together quickly.

Seems like they hired people.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I have to say that I'm already curious about this St. Cabirus failed Utopia. I'm having Looking Glass vibes from this project, hope it isn't just empty hype on the end.

Neanderthal

Arcane
So they're usin stuff from Underworlds? Wonder if theres gonna be some stuff from Labyrinth of Worlds: Bishop, Killorn Keep, Praecor Loth an all other places an peoples, they were some fuckin good detailed settins.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So they're usin stuff from Underworlds? Wonder if theres gonna be some stuff from Labyrinth of Worlds: Bishop, Killorn Keep, Praecor Loth an all other places an peoples, they were some fuckin good detailed settins.
I'm not sure about Labyrinth of Worlds, but they did say that they were able to gain the rights to all of the 'underworld' assets, just not 'ultima'. So... maybe?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=1197.msg19491#msg19491

Who are the level designer and architects?

I did most of the work on the last demo, and I'm no level designer. Joe has done some, art guys have also pitched in, and Will has had his input too.

Steve Allen has just joined the team, he has done work on everything from WoW, Brutal Legend (hell yea) , Thief 3, Bioshock exc. Very talented, far more than me.Watching him work is kind of mind blowing for me, who retired from level design in the early 2000's. For the design side, we are not ready to announce yet. I'm sure that Joe and I will pick our small corner of the world and run with it. I really want to do all of level 7.

GandGolf

Augur
It would be cool if you could import characters from the original "Ultima Underworld" games, but somehow I doubt that will happen.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
nwKndDFqDWt1feaNv25B2dl9aCcUpGFJKMWj7L0zDz_iftC3CN5eIFr-X32i8Pekh1c-6od9yLh3N6Ripvy6g40vu92mENvAEV_qa07xpnDTqcV8FT4XteSiU76GDshQ6yaZUCvNSLbyEKb57n-z0MoRkTRY55Xz4nX75UA=s0-d-e1-ft

Ah, July in New England. The heat, the humidity. Sometimes it feels like you can swim to your car instead of walking the air is so thick with moisture. It’s a great time to be thinking about The Underswamp and who (and what) lives there…

The Evolution of a Lizardman

Fans of Ultima Underworld often remember the Lizardman race pretty fondly. They were spotlighted in one of most signature moments of that game, where the player was able to learn their language.
They were later feared to be wiped out in the cataclysmic events of that game, but in Underworld Ascendant, you’ll see they make their return.
In it, a group of Green Lizardmen reside in the neutral city of Marcaul, a central trading point for The Stygian Abyss.
We’ve explored multiple looks for the Lizardmen over the past year and thought we’d share.

eWOqJslsM_86GdBM4MABp2jHoHAjNYg5QI3zJGcYgnHjUbGUtfgQmenMhScLzZw3-aLH23omxj5o6-EojKnYm_2gEbT7xtSESS6Ty_QCQr511w7vxcCQKb9sKJerj4PKE78goU7hP0ewqjRQ2Yfu_kfchBcskgDreQ7Aws0=s0-d-e1-ft

We started with a couple of different versions during the Kickstarter: A dinosaur-like take and one that loosely resembled a fishman from H.P. Lovecraft’s Innsmouth. We even had a vote on which one the fanbase liked more. There was a healthy debate in the office, too.
After some time evolving in art direction of the game, we needed to come back around on how all of our creatures looked. Nate and the art team have been taking a new look at what the Lizardman might appear in this developing style.
Nate’s a guy who likes to feel what he’s making, so the initial investigation into the style started with actual sculpts. The idea from there is to figure out how to replicate the sculpt in a 3D program and to experiment on what granularity to make the objects.

K-cCY-70qauGQiKYHiIsOyow4IVvMnIxq7y241z6Ee712xZBw0XWyRFuaoO0smQjpiMEJsb8_a3_hNwV-16Nbmtb9tPmvj7NZGPS3od7IBGXb1kAswoCmscZIGkrUdROgmxKIkA-Si4QBGRxkHLSj5SVY8Y6JjSUmr4ArRc=s0-d-e1-ft

There’s been much debate about the style, mostly the shininess of the materials, which we’ve been continuing to experiment with. What we were most concerned about was getting a made-by-hand look to the world. If you notice with the roughness, it’s all bold cuts and indents made to be read from any distance. The details are there, but in bold strokes instead of fine granularity. With this style, it’s the imperfections that end up giving the character.
fFfsDivEPm0EYsQiIzAr6ZbTFuNtbCZu27mvdxGUAWpRXezsuQ2ixrovSUxxTTp_6QTqQ7VS3dv40QqjFczp7jvW4gb1iK8UUx-d2QkVwt9Xt55rNKermzDy4S7i-oVSAUXxSPpWyjYgamD5Yla2zVm-6fL80liSNGUR980=s0-d-e1-ft

dJnhf32Zo0YEbwzMygHs_pN0kiqyGT5EflyXZrg5zHsnuEWcW4Edle6Mb3QAakaNIr3loqk2H1YoaMuI2K5n_gOeptXaowBTdzF0ndXw8zhCJZnF9SzgTywrxlFbShfrpmoLCvfaCYdQWOW_HTOjVn8onLv-oEb8er7gWZU=s0-d-e1-ft

kmN-o5sRcxX-8EFyyNV8TXm6WkFN7iV0WHR1OzECWr01DzZ1fW1L-iYI0IaQ1a16yC740VfZA8nhdpKxWSZ8JFW8gnS7FMfuETd2OkEdKRAhcKkv0Avi2qh7puBO2pxWeLa2Q0WgPbBYsXS7Sy4pocs1rZu75krPwioQLVE=s0-d-e1-ft

Notice for example on the wall piece, the upper border how the stones are all not equal and really only have a small flourish on each one to make it look normal and natural.
Nate and team have continued with this idea of having a tactile sculpt for the creatures and characters.

57Gz0Vb3TuPsMTf-vz5Wd_H7EoQUOVaxfhWlVuMisUwbvETdgvyh2zwThsmODjMw8yDJCCrUVKXUTzMuYB9hVPKv0bdvyrklRtE-KX-4dkvep-dheHhSPwmAppsONh-tlhdjAMRVfnqTcGeZSldb8CzYds2sD1Pz1nkR0h4=s0-d-e1-ft

ba67-b6nsMB-aKbBkA46gmhL7SWPOk78ltgfHfsMEBv041QcWrrL4cDNNMjSIZ1LgQDWgib_HF7mU2iNtn9XxgFx4GALP_eAPwz1nH9_HvpYyMHUXaY3x6t6-fXw0NOqStsZ4UVkx5bJ4SauhB_McmzInRK86nQsdLjIMzk=s0-d-e1-ft

Although just clay, this is the first look at a Green Lizardman, the friendlier of the types you’ll encounter.
Of course, there’s plenty of room for refinement, which will be handled during the modeling and texturing process over the coming weeks and months.
But, what about Red Lizardmen?
Since they’re a closely related species, we didn’t want to deviate too drastically from the basic look. But as game developers we need to accomplish a few things when doing a separate species that is essentially the same. We’ve all seen this in games , the reds and the blues, the big and the little. In a 3d FPS game the silhouette is very important. Like spotters on ships in WWII being able to identify a silhouette at a distance can be the difference between life or death.

DHwL0KkxSeOJtRrcKcBasKI4onVxfOS4B956IRn-Kt0vQnohMJ1s6eCjrLcKe1v79h1gt5voM7py9q1ifMz9ezVztci5Ch7kBWB60u3fio_usJDXETvybhFOn7lKKCmUrJ3r6XMIoqDAgWivMnmq5rk60EOpD6_uNlceUkA=s0-d-e1-ft

Probably the best example of this in video games is Team Fortress 2. Its developers worked extremely hard to let the player be able to identify a class almost instantly.
We need to address the same problem and being a world of light and shadow, color is not always going to be an option as the identifier for us.

ZBkLCUCselcmxDq6tz8AST6WpnlHyUpohk8LUUO4x6yEvNKEIrZoLOJbZRc6Gc3qtXpVkMScb9ayJNoHjZ7bQWTFwSV7ZfQI9CbnuVgS_j_VK2lMnFEWJFqyjL8hItzCM2ATmayKThGFK8M3_UbZ_WHQRyhoQ8VlXPAKLAM=s0-d-e1-ft

To address this with the Red Lizardmen, we decided to adjust his shape slightly in bulk and to give them some easy-to-read attachments that Green Lizardmen don’t have.
In the early study (above), you’ll notice the frills on the Red’s head and face… which Will wants to call it a “head sail” and Tim a “scalp tongue”.
Another part we use to accent the silhouette is with armor and clothing.
In Nate’s draw-over (on the right), he’s added some feather attachments making it even more sharp and pointy-looking from a distance.
Now that the overall idea is agreed upon, the Red Lizardman is in the hands of art production and refinements continue to happen daily.
In future installments, we’ll dig deeper into detailing how the visual differences between the races translate into telegraphing skills, abilities, and other matters of gameplay.

YSm5iyIxtwbbXSgikeWmwgMYqsRXeG6oAY8RIRo1fd9JlMYJ7HICGkZc4Xtq2KKXMjGMnZFuzT1vLP74lY0O2ETFBInWp7YnR4DmFv8Frj1NzKlbKtx8_XCjox8Po76piPOS71CrfrZ6yg0VrQaVm5ppISr-OOHt5pKTV2U=s0-d-e1-ft

In Other News…

As you’re well aware, our friends at Night Dive Studios are running a Kickstarter in support of their modern revitalization of System Shock. The project in its final few days, fully funded and approaching some interesting stretch goals, so don’t forget to check it out.

Also, today, Tuesday, July 26th, the team at Night Dive will be running a System Shock Twitch session and our own Tim Stellmach, Warren Spector, and Paul Neurath (who all worked on the original game) are joining in.

It begins at Night Dive’s Twitch channel https://www.twitch.tv/nightdivestudios/profile at 1:00 PST/3:00 Central/4:00 EST.

Until next time!

Best,
Team Otherside

FFS SIEGEL PUT SPACES BETWEEN PARAGRAPHS

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Speaking of which, he's asking some stuff on the forums:

Lets talk about Items
Which item systems do you guys enjoy?
Some people love the suffix/prefix systems of Diablo or Borderlands, others like more sparse loot, and others like a wheelbarrow full of junk like Fallout.
Granted items and crafting can intersect in some ways, but overall which systems do you like?
I'm personally a fan of a hybrid system using the suffix/prefix style except for 'named' loot. I think some loot should be special and interesting and not intersect with the non named loot.

Lets talk about Crafting
Lets talk about crafting.Are you guys and gals fans of current crafting systems in games? Are the 'fun' or just a grind and time sink?

Humor in games.
Can games be funny without being silly? Can you nod and wink to the real world, or make fun of tropes in a way that doesn't cheapen the experience. Is making references to the past --even the cheesy past fair game? I for one think all fantasy is really amusing, and pretty much every campaign I've run has had a sense of irony to them. It was never silly, but a wry dark humor, or deadpan style humor was pretty much a constant. Indy Jones or Han Solo one liners is a good example.
One of the ideas that keeps popping up in my writing is making nods and winks to oldschool mostly terrible fantasy of the 80s and 90s, be it Krull, or Sword and the Sorcerer. Of course not taking actual reference of these titles --yikes, but nodding to the crazy that was old school fantasy.
Of course the Abyss is not a silly place, but humor and levity is very important to any environment where oppression and fear exist. There has to be a counterbalance or players get fatigued playing.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
The art looks OK by me.

I definitely prefer sparser itemisation. Don't be lazy; make 100 items types by hand and overlay the classic UU wear mechanics and a few prefixes descriptive of the item's potential. Sharp, exquisite, blah blah.

Ash

Arcane
Speaking of which, he's asking some stuff on the forums:
Lets talk about Crafting
Lets talk about crafting.Are you guys and gals fans of current crafting systems in games? Are the 'fun' or just a grind and time sink?

My faith in this game is pretty low. Is this a game by Tim Stellmach and Paul Neurath, or not? I wish them the highest of success regardless, they've always deserved it, but that doesn't mean I have to like this new game:

Ash said:
Again, why is this even up for consideration? Underworld and its ilk already had a crafting system. You dragged an item on to another from the inventory, then that item onto another (if required/desired). Knowledge of what could be crafted was based on realism, intuition, and for more obscure stuff info was obtained from a book e.g "Book of Potion Recipes".
It doesn't get better than that unless you expand upon these base concepts.

Switching to contemporary crafting systems is highly suspect. Is this meant to be Underworld or Elder Scrolls: SkyUndergroundrim?

And I know the thread is presented as merely a hypothetical, but we've already seen a stupid crafting window in William's UI prototype.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
The only thing this game needs to do is modernize the UU engine somewhat, add new content and adopt some alchemy from Arx and mods (and a key ring). If they do that and they nail level design they have a new classic.

I worry about cerebral masturbation leading to a diminished experience as compared to the original.

UU is already regarded as one of the best games ever. Unless they intend to reinvent a whole bunch of shit and end up with an even greater game, do not fuck with the formula without hard consideration.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=1228.msg19604#msg19604

Leaning on loot for survival reasons...mmm...not really a fan of that. Survival should be something always tugging on you, but not made the main crux of the experience. STALKER is probably the closest to what I think is good survival. Making you starve turns into a game about not starving. Survival should accent the rest of the experience, and be real, but not the immediate concern at every movement.

OK repair items is definitely in now. Some of us have gone back and forth on it.

writable map is non-negotiable. it will be in.

https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=1233.msg19667#msg19667

We have toyed around with 'dreams', mostly as a narrative vehicle/commentary on the player/worldstate status commentary. It is still on the table, but most of what I just mentioned is all covered by other narrative systems already.

I approve of your last post Dr Sbaitso, but I also think that it's great for pioneers to come back with incredible new ideas, even if they amount to a huge fuck-up.
The top would be to have the two games: the masterpiece from the comfort zone, and the crazy game with crazy ideas from the war zone.

Ash

Arcane
"incredible new ideas"

Name one from all information we know of so far. If anything, they're sticking to the comfort zone of accessible design, whereas iterating upon the old masterful design would be akin to entering a war zone (of risk). Besides, I doubt anyone just wants Underworld with better graphics, preferably they'd take what worked (that being the majority) and iterate and innovate from there. But I really don't get that impression from what I know of the project. I don't think this will be on par with LGS ingenuity. Masterful game design is a dying art.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Tim's descriptions of deepened simulation whereby objects carry more properties influenced by other objects and greater follow-on possibilities are a crucial improvement that has been discussed.

Also, the systemic influence or biasing of these properties against factional motivations etc. are also unseen to this point.

Beautiful Clown Painting absolutely agreed.

Also Ash fuck off if you think yourself a masterful game designer while you piss in the face of your betters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom