Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Release Thread

Ash

Arcane
I'm not a masterful game designer, and the majority of my approach is derived from them. Regardless it still doesn't mean I can't criticize this weak sauce. What they were doing in the 90s was masterful, but I'm not seeing that replicated here. Why that is who knows, maybe they're missing key members that drove those masterpieces, or maybe they are simply choosing to abandon masterful design. Either way I don't hold it against them, I'm just expressing my disappointment.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
UA's two big promises are:
  • in-depth physics-based environmental simulation;
  • a dungeon ecology.
Neither of them are radically new innovations, but neither of them have been tried in computer gaming after a few baby steps (many of them taken by LGS). If they pay off, they will result in a game offering many more possibilities for expressing player creativity than previous CRPGs. If they don't, we will probabyl have a decent, quirky dungeon exploration game.

Old Hans

Arcane
The cherry on top would be suffix/prefix random loot. I hope its cool stuff like 2% better climbing or 3% critical hit chance. If im not loaded down with crafting materials and countless random items with cool shit like 3% poison protection...well I dunno what id do!

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The cherry on top would be suffix/prefix random loot. I hope its cool stuff like 2% better climbing or 3% critical hit chance. If im not loaded down with crafting materials and countless random items with cool shit like 3% poison protection...well I dunno what id do!
I never liked random loot. I always prefer hand placed, uniquely described loot.

Ash

Arcane
Agreed, though subtle randomization can have its place, e.g respawning enemy loot tables picked at random. If there are endlessly respawning enemies it is pretty much a necessity, and I'm OK with that.

Darkzone

Arcane
I never liked random loot. I always prefer hand placed, uniquely described loot.
I 100% agree with this. I also like fewer but nice fitting items than many and shitty. Someone has stated in the forum that they should do it like Gothic 1 and 2 has done it, and this would be also my wish.

I hope that my sarcasm detector is correct on this one.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
They aren't...but this suggests that they will be.

Since Otherside has the source code for the Underworld games, can it be that we're finally getting a modern-day release of those games...Soon™?

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
You can play both UU games right now. Why wait for some shitlord to make an "installer".

Also, the new game will be shit. You heard it here first, folks.

Zep--

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://underworldascendant.com/news/8-22_update.php

Hello backers,

Hope you've been having a wonderful summer and playing many fantastic games.

As we've mentioned before, we're keeping quiet on major announcements until we finish up our Underworld Ascendant's Vertical Slice, but as many of you are longtime fans of the series, we thought you'd be interested in hearing a bit about...

Ultima Underworld influences in Underworld Ascendant

Ultima Underworld
and Ultima Underworld 2 were ground breaking RPGs that influenced dozens of games - including, not surprisingly, our own. With Underworld Ascendant, our goals have been to do justice to those original games and be as innovative as they were at the time.

uu12_box.jpg

Those that came before...

We have a number of innovative new features that we've yet to reveal (including a narrative system that our producer Chris Siegel calls "Looking Glass 2.0."), though intend to show in detail farther down the line.

But for many basic questions, like how survival elements should be handled or letting the player increase difficulty by descending to lower levels, we often look to the original Ultima Underworld for guidance. There's simply so much those games did right.

In our last update, we mentioned that the Green Lizard Men will be found in the neutral zone of Marcaul, an area featured in our Vertical Slice. That's a direct connection to one of our favorite moments in Ultima Underworld -- a game that, a year and a half before Edge Magazine famously said, "lf only you could talk to these creatures..." about Doom, let you decipher the language of a race of creatures, talk to them, and make alliances with them.

As you can imagine, we find this sequence pretty inspiring and intend to feature the Lizard Men prominently in the Vertical Slice. (We'll even drop the name "Ishtass" as a hint...)

uu_lizman.jpg

Great moments in human/Lizard Man relations

Another one of our favorite moments in the series? In Ultima Underworld 2's Prison Tower of Tarna level, the player could: 1) fight your way through several levels full of goblins or 2) talk your way through past all the guards, access the jail on the top floor, and release a captured troll, who would then proceed to wipe out every single goblin in the place. Both were fun ways of solving the same challenge and allowed a large gameplay choice on a quest level.

uu_goblin.jpg

Garg -- Not really a fan of goblins, per se...

As we've said before, in Underworld Ascendant, we provide players with a large toolbox and let them choose how to solve a challenge. While that's mainly meant on a moment-to-moment level, we're also seeing some interesting opportunities to feature Tower of Tarna-style quest choices as well.
As far as other direct connections go, you've heard the game will feature Ultima Underworld characters Cabirus, who attempted to found a utopia in The Stygian Abyss, and Tyball, the "big bad" wizard... who is returning as a lich. One of the two? Has a very major role to play in Underworld Ascendant.

tyball_ba.jpg

Tyball: Before and after.

Beyond that, we'll save additional details about inspirations and links from the earlier games for future updates, but it's safe to say that they influence us every day.

Underworld's Shocking Sibling

There's a pretty direct line from the development of Ultima Underworld, which is often called "the first immersive sim," to System Shock. Since the two series are more or less siblings, we'll assume you're interested in the latest news on both.

As you may already be aware, huzzah! Our friends at Night Dive Studios recently wrapped up the System Shock Kickstarter to remake the original game with a modern engine, updated graphics and controls, and more. Since they raised $1.3M, there managed to reach some fun stretch goals, including Mac and Linux support and expanded narrative and locations. (Listen to a thank you message from SHODANhere.)

shodan_ks.jpg

Night Dive has recently said on Twitter that they intend to continue crowdfunding beyond Kickstarter and to release the original source code to System Shock. Exciting!

But, wait! What's the latest on development of OtherSide's System Shock 3, down in Austin with Warren Spector?

Let's just say, keep an eye out for updates... very soon.

In Other News

pokemango.jpg

Many of you have probably been playing Pokemon Go. To date the game is the most successful mobile App of all time, reaching over 100M downloads in less than a month. Almost overnight it has changed the behavior of tens of millions of gamers, getting them to explore their local neighborhoods in pursuit of virtual creatures, and collaborating with other players in the real world.

What is perhaps most surprising is the game's massive success despite it having some notable flaws, lacking key features such as trading, and getting by with a bare bones AR implementation. The Pokemon license is certainly a factor. At the same time, there have been 30 Pokemon games released over the past decade and none has had close to the same impact.

What then is the difference maker? We believe it springs from Pokemon Go's innovative blend of location-based gameplay and AR, which results in a genuinely new kind of game play experience.

We're fans of game developers who innovate. Too often developers are reluctant to take creative risks. Yet some must take these risks to keep our industry vibrant. So a shout out to Niantic for bringing Pokemon Go to life!

ICYMI - Here are a few articles and interviews you might find interesting and/or entertaining:

That's all for this time.

Until next!

Best,

The Team at OtherSide

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Narrative designer asking for feedback: https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=1249.msg19943#msg19943

Let me ask you something... and let me preface this by saying that we really value your opinions and obvious love for the series... besides what you've heard about so far, what elements of UU1 and UU2 would you most like to see return in some way?

Or, perhaps to back up a bit, I wrote in the latest newsletter about moments that meant the most to me in those games. What connected most deeply with you?

I feel a little sorry for that UW2 fanboy.

vota DC

Augur
They should put back at least Vernix, he has the biggest aesthetic sense ever, also he need an ingame cloack this time!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Having trouble copy-pasting this:

Issue 29 - September 27, 2016

Hello backers,
With the dog days of summer far behind, we’ve been busy planning elaborate Halloween costumes, loading up on pumpkin beer and cider, and unpacking warm clothes in preparation for the unpredictable seasonal wonders that Boston weather will soon bestow on us.
And, of course, we’ve also been hard at work at...
Underworld Ascendant at The Boston Festival of Indie Games!
Many thanks to everyone who stopped by the OtherSide booth at the recent Boston Festival of Indie Games, the first public showing of Underworld Ascendant. Attendees reported they had a great time playing the Pre-Alpha Prototype build and provided valuable feedback, which will be applied to the game’s upcoming Vertical Slice.

The original Underworld, the new, & reference sculpts between.
As a nod to the past and an example of before/after, Ultima Underworld was on-hand at the booth as well. A few attendees adorably mistook it for a retro-style indie game, while others’ eyes widened as they saw it, exclaiming how it was their all-time favorite game. (One even offered to hug all present when we mentioned that our Austin studio is making a new game in the System Shock series.)

OtherSide’s Chris Maire, Will Texiera, & Joe Fielder.
It was great fun meeting with fans, watching them play the game, and hearing their hands-on thoughts and input. We’re definitely looking forward to showing new builds of Underworld Ascendant at future, to-be-announced public events.
Enormous thanks to the volunteers responsible for putting on the Boston Festival of Indie Games. Everyone at OtherSide appreciates the hard work you put in for the Boston area game community.
A Look Inside the Underworld Ascendant Bestiary
As mentioned before, we’re holding off on showing our work on the Underworld Ascendant Vertical Slice until its far along and polished. In the meantime, we thought you’d be interested in a peek under the hood at the design work involved.
When you interact with a denizen of The Stygian Abyss in Underworld Ascendant, you’re encountering many hours of work involved in bringing it to life… Modeling, animation, AI, and -- what we’ll cover a bit today -- a core set of underlying design principles that dictate its role in the game.
The inhabitants come in three main forms:
– Beings who possess robust behaviors, advanced combat tactics, and, if intelligent, can converse, trade, or engage with the player. (Ex: The Lizard Men.)
– Creatures who enhance or detract in combat, like the Wailing Haunt or Lich, or act as environmental hazards, like the Ripper or Lurker.
COLLABORATORS – Inhabitants with useful behaviors that the player can exploit, like the Earth Clot, a bulky, gelatinous mass that can be prodded down hallways to break traps or act as cover.

One of the core design principles of Underworld Ascendant is to educate the player about the rules of the simulated dungeon world without overt hand-holding. The goal of “teaching players to teach themselves” underlies the game’s level design, narrative, and even the combat design.
For instance, there are four tiers of CATALYSTS, whose roles in combat…
TIER 1 - Teach the player the basic moves & skills of the CATALYST.
TIER 2 - Make sure the player is paying attention.
TIER 3 - Challenge the player.
TIER 4 - Provide a fight to remember.
In the Vertical Slice, the player will not only face creatures from each category, he/she will find that a mix or an entrant from a higher tier can make for a much different encounter.

Next month, we’ll give a fresh behind-the-scenes peek at the making of the Underworld Ascendant Vertical Slice. This time, about the game narrative…
Meet the New Staff
We’ve been woefully remiss in publicly welcoming the latest members of the OtherSide team, who joined over the last few months to help with Underworld Ascendant and Underworld Overlord.

CHRIS MAIRE – A programmer with a background on AAA and indie (including his own Gravity Ghost and more), Chris combines hard-fought wisdom and can-do spirit. He’s an active member of the local Boston game community and an aficionado of metal.

CARL AHLUND – As the Design Director of Underworld Overlord, our “be-the-bad-guy” dungeon management game for Daydream mobile VR platform, Carl works with our external mobile developers to define the player’s experience, tune the fun of each level, and balance the ramping difficulty of the game.

THOMAS SCHLAPP – Our new QA Team Lead, Thomas comes to us with experience working on RPGs like Dungeons & Dragons Online and Lord of the Rings Online, as well as creating his own card games. He is also a CSM, CSPO, and has a Masters of Science in Forensic Psychology.

JT KUCERA – The latest add to the team, who began just last week, JT is a senior QA tester who has endured such grueling OtherSide hazing rituals as eating lunch in the building cafeteria, learning about the history of Concord grapes, and everyone generally being nice, polite, and respectful.
In Other News…
ICYMI - Here are a few things you might find interesting and/or entertaining:
PC Gamer commemorated the recent 19th anniversary of Ultima Online with “5 stories of murder and theft that prove Ultima Online was one of the best MMOs ever”.
GaminGHD posted a video about Ultima Underworld’s important role in the history of games, titled, “Ultima Underworld – The most important game you should play.”
Ultima Dragons, one of the oldest online fan-created gaming clubs, are holding a Kickstarter for its 25th Anniversary Bash.
That’s all for this time! Next month, in addition to the Vertical Slice narrative peek, we’ll also have an update about your Kickstarter-related questions, such as the plans for the developer online roundtables, insider’s developer blog, and more.
Until next!
Best,
The Team at OtherSide

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=1264.msg20078#msg20078

Hey guys,
You're correct. There was a typo on the email newsletter. Here's the correct text.

The inhabitants come in three main forms:
• CATALYSTS – Beings who possess robust behaviors, advanced combat tactics, and, if intelligent, can converse, trade, or engage with the player. (Ex: The Lizard Men.)
• CONFOUNDERS – Creatures who enhance or detract in combat, like The Wailing Haunt or Lich, or act as environmental hazards, like The Ripper or Lurker.
• COLLABORATORS – Inhabitants with useful behaviors that the player can exploit, like the Earth Clot, a bulky, gelatinous mass that can be prodded down hallways to break traps or act as cover.

Hope that answers any questions.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was expecting something that I could get my hands on. Doesn't seem to be the case this month. Oh well. I'm not sure that the QA people are for UA since that game isn't even close to being anything really. They must be for UO since I can imagine that game's not going to take too terribly long to finish and is probably in the testing stage right now.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I was expecting something that I could get my hands on. Doesn't seem to be the case this month. Oh well. I'm not sure that the QA people are for UA since that game isn't even close to being anything really. They must be for UO since I can imagine that game's not going to take too terribly long to finish and is probably in the testing stage right now.

Unless they really want this Vertical Slice to be polished...so they can Early Access it, perhaps.

Nyast

Cipher
Sorry to ask this, I haven't followed the news that closely, but isn't the game supposed to release in a month or two ? Was there a delay announcement that I missed ? cause I still see them talking about pre-alpha in the news. If they're still in pre-alpha at this stage, there's a good chance it'll get delayed by 6 months to a year..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom