Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Release Thread

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Their two big promises are in-depth physics-based problem-solving (has been done, but not very extensively, and more as a byproduct than a core feature) and a functional dungeon ecology (pretty much never been done at all in CRPGs). If they can deliver on these, or even one of them, it will still make UW:A a large step forward in simulation.

Aenra

I'm not being pretentious, you're only being thick. You once again mix different concepts; second time. So again, one thing at a time.

I addressed your mixing two different outcomes in terms of your (not mine) expectations. Yours, not mine. I therefore advised that you need first decide what it is you'd like/expect out of this; and then do a comparison and see if that's what they appeared to promise you.

I also never mentioned anything about a new genre. Nor did i say that experimentation is "all that matters", ie nothing else does. Read more, be less of the typical modern youngster.
Lastly, whether innovation is or is not a diminishing return value has absolutely fuck all to do with what you originally said, or what i replied with.

So read first. Think second. Reply afterwards.

(and because i see you already did the mistake: whether they achieve anything, to any extent, is unrelated to YOUR expectations. What IS related to your expectations is whether the direction evident in the FINAL product is one showcasing they stuck to what they promised; result notwithstanding. Do you even comprehend the difference?)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Their two big promises are in-depth physics-based problem-solving (has been done, but not very extensively, and more as a byproduct than a core feature) and a functional dungeon ecology (pretty much never been done at all in CRPGs). If they can deliver on these, or even one of them, it will still make UW:A a large step forward in simulation.

Also, faction dynamics (could be considered a subset of dungeon ecology)

Aenra

Is that really what you perceive? As a "promise"? Two check points and whether they're ticked or not?... jeesus fucking christ, my fault for bothering.
You are telling me that after multiple instances of of these guys reminding us "what they've done"/"what they're capable of", after multiple hints at the "potential" of a third UU, after multiple statements regarding "innovating" and "doing something fresh".. your idea of their promise to you is these two check points? Physics (and i could lift and throw rocks 25 years ago, whom are you kidding) and ecology?

Have a good day and enjoy exactly what you're worth of receiving. A tenth of what's promised to you, albeit at the price of the full 100%
Just as you have btw. For the last, ooh, couple of decades? More?

Ash

Arcane
Well, your expectations are certainly higher than mine, in the context of innovation. Anyone can come up with new ideas, but making sure those ideas are meaningful and fitting in the context of the overarching vision is another matter.

Extensive physics simulation and problem solving sounds great, as does more intensive dungeon ecology. All stuff that has been done before, but on a small scale, and never making up a whole in a grand experience like Underworld. Hopefully there will be plenty small scale innovations too in systems, that is always an expectation of mine. Perhaps some minor in storytelling and so forth. I'm not expecting much more though. evolutionary leaps continuing where they left off with Underworld > System Shock 2 > Deus Ex (for example) doesn't seem likely. But hey, it is Neurath. Who knows what he has up his sleeve.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

Also, faction dynamics (could be considered a subset of dungeon ecology)

They also promised much deeper systems interaction. This is the most desired by me.

Where entities in the world carried properties which could be affected by other entities (not just the player) in UU, the promise is more and deeper interactions in order to take simulation to another level, which was not possible at the time due to the amount of compute power the graphics required. I want to see next level simulation and increased influence on motivations and actions of characters in the simulation. These innovations are key to that.

Ash

Arcane
"I want to see next level simulation"

I don't think I do. To me the classics were a perfect blend of simulated and scripted. Realistic and gamey. Too much simulation conflicts with scripted. Too much realism conflicts with gamey. They struck a perfect balance. I want innovations with that balance in mind.

Luckily though, most of the time deeper simulation is not to the detriment of other elements. I just don't want too much focus in any one direction.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
You can't lament and predict lack of innovation in one sentence and then say you don't want it in the next. It's OK. Dream a little.

Ash

Arcane
Wut. there seems to be the misunderstanding among some that all innovation = good. Do you know what else was an innovation? Quick Time Events. "Cinematic" gameplay. DLC. Early Access.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Shitting on a cake is an innovation over plain cake is it? In this context you are being pedantic.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kickstarter update which weirdly copy-pastes some but not all of the Halloween update.

Update #48

Nov 6 2016

Autumn 2016 Underworld Ascendant Update

Hello backers,

Don’t forget! We’ve been posting regular updates via a monthly email newsletter, so if you’d like more frequent updates than you’re getting on Kickstarter, you can sign up through this link.

Here are a few highlights from recent newsletters:

A Special Word from OtherSide’s Paul Neurath

It probably comes as no surprise, but it’s taking longer than we’d hoped for Underworld Ascendantto come together. The release will extend beyond the original November 2016 date.

Our goal is to make a game that’s not only wonderfully fun and super polished, but also genuinely innovative. We’re pushing hard on the Improvisation Engine, going deep with making The Stygian Abyss feel like a living and breathing dynamic environment, on achieving the subtle interplay with the Faction politics, and more.

Innovating is hard work, and not an entirely predictable process. The team learned this lesson on the original Underworlds, and with Thief: The Dark Project and other games that pushed the envelope. We do feel that taking the time to make the game great is the right call.

Before we will be ready to share an updated release date, we want to get over the hump on the key innovations and know that they are working smoothly. In February, we expect to share a new Prototype build with Backers that shows much progress.

“We are hugely appreciative of your patience and support, and in being part of seeing this game come to life.

A Rewarding Announcement

To thank our fans for their patience as we work to ensure Underworld Ascendant is everything it can be, we’re providing two gifts…

First off, we’ve gone ahead and unlocked the current Stretch Goal for The Necropolis of The Ancients, a foreboding lower level location where the game’s most powerful Undead, hidden secrets, and rarest arcane treasure can be found.

3696d2da89a92ba9ea355534be6704c0_original.png

Early concept art of The Necropolis, where the Arch Lich Tyball rules.
We’ll also be providing to all Backers who have pledged for a digital copy of the game a bonus collection of seven, hi-res Underworld Ascendant wallpapers spotlighting the work of concept artist Robb (SHODAN, Garrett, Sander Cohen) Waters.

7c4ddea6e8db3b2f1907287752296236_original.jpg

Visit your BackerKit account to access your wallpaper collection now.

A Look Inside the Underworld Ascendant Bestiary

When you interact with a denizen of The Stygian Abyss in Underworld Ascendant, you’re encountering many hours of work involved in bringing it to life… Modeling, animation, AI, and -- what we’ll cover a bit today -- a core set of underlying design principles that dictate its role in the game.

The inhabitants come in three main forms:

· CATALYSTS – Beings who possess robust behaviors, advanced combat tactics, and, if intelligent, can converse, trade, or engage with the player. (Ex: The Lizard Men.)

· CONFOUNDERS– Creatures who enhance or detract in combat, like The Wailing Haunt or Lich, or act as environmental hazards, like The Ripper or Lurker.

· COLLABORATORS– Inhabitants with useful behaviors that the player can exploit, like the Earth Clot, a bulky, gelatinous mass that can be prodded down hallways to break traps or act as cover.

a7297e33f76b5ade60031e69db45f2fe_original.jpg

The Ripper definitely counts as an “environmental hazard.

One of the core design principles of Underworld Ascendant is to educate the player about the rules of the simulated dungeon world without overt hand-holding. The goal of “teaching players to teach themselves” underlies the game’s level design, narrative, and even the combat design.

For instance, there are four tiers of CATALYSTS, whose roles in combat…

· TIER 1 - Teach the player the basic moves & skills of the CATALYST.

· TIER 2 - Make sure the player is paying attention.

· TIER 3 - Challenge the player.

· TIER 4 - Provide a fight to remember.

In the Vertical Slice, the player will not only face creatures from each category, he/she will find that a mix or an entrant from a higher tier can make for a much different encounter.

66c1faa6d0f616016301c3750ad9d05a_original.jpg

The Vorpal Bunny has a few useful talents.
Ultima Underworld influences in Underworld Ascendant

Ultima Underworld and Ultima Underworld 2 were ground breaking RPGs that influenced dozens of games – including, not surprisingly, our own. With Underworld Ascendant, our goals have been to do justice to those original games and be as innovative as they were at the time.

4e82ec0ad40b45808b81c8823620568f_original.jpg

Those that came before…
We have a number of innovative new features that we’ve yet to reveal (including a narrative system that our producer Chris Siegel calls “Looking Glass 2.0.”), though intend to show in detail farther down the line.

But for many basic questions, like how survival elements should be handled or letting the player increase difficulty by descending to lower levels, we often look to the original Ultima Underworld for guidance. There’s simply so much those games did right.

In an earlier update, we mentioned that the Green Lizard Men will be found in the neutral zone of Marcaul, an area featured in our upcoming Vertical Slice. That’s a direct connection to one of our favorite moments in Ultima Underworld -- a game that, a year and a half before Edge Magazinefamously said, “lf only you could talk to these creatures…” about Doom, let you decipher the language of a race of creatures, talk to them, and make alliances with them.

As you can imagine, we find this sequence pretty inspiring and intend to feature the Lizard Men prominently in the Vertical Slice. (We’ll even drop the name “Ishtass” as a hint…)

6ba189109435abca3a0403ad157da18d_original.jpg

Great moments in human/Lizard Man relations
Another one of our favorite moments in the series? In Ultima Underworld 2’s Prison Tower of Tarna level, the player could: 1) fight your way through several levels full of goblins or 2) talk your way through past all the guards, access the jail on the top floor, and release a captured troll, who would then proceed to wipe out every single goblin in the place. Both were fun ways of solving the same challenge and allowed a large gameplay choice on a quest level.

0b09695f5ed3915a012ab014af1c38c6_original.jpg

Garg -- Not really a fan of goblins, per se…
As we’ve said before, in Underworld Ascendant, we provide players with a large toolbox and let them choose how to solve a challenge. While that’s mainly meant on a moment-to-moment level, we’re also seeing some interesting opportunities to feature Tower of Tarna-style quest choices as well.

As far as other direct connections go, you’ve heard the game will feature Ultima Underworldcharacters Cabirus, who attempted to found a utopia in The Stygian Abyss, and Tyball, the “big bad” wizard… who is returning as a lich. One of the two? Has a very major role to play in Underworld Ascendant.

e37077e5f5888d2d23a439fed4ff6070_original.jpg

Tyball: Before and after.
Beyond that, we’ll save additional details about inspirations and links from the earlier games for future updates, but it’s safe to say that they influence us every day.

But, Wait --There’s More!

Want to read up more about the making of Underworld Ascendant?

You can find updates posted on our website here, including a look at the creation of the Lizard Men, word about the role popular voice actor Stephen (Thief, Fallout 4) Russell will be playing in the game, and more.

Again, thanks for your support!

Best,

The Team at OtherSide

grimace

Arcane
The link to the Kickstarter update is public? https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ndant/posts/1730298?ref=backer_project_update

The inhabitants come in three main forms:

· KATALYSTS – Beings who possess robust behaviors, advanced combat tactics, and, if intelligent, can converse, trade, or engage with the player. (Ex: The Lizard Men.)

· KONFOUNDERS– Creatures who enhance or detract in combat, like The Wailing Haunt or Lich, or act as environmental hazards, like The Ripper or Lurker.

· KOLLABORATORS– Inhabitants with useful behaviors that the player can exploit, like the Earth Clot, a bulky, gelatinous mass that can be prodded down hallways to break traps or act as cover.

The alliteration means it must be creative.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=1117.msg20430#msg20430

Joe Fielder said:
Since it's set in the Stygian Abyss, I can see lots of previous areas being re-explored, especially with all the changes time has wrought in them. It should be exciting and new, as well as strangely familiar, with doses of ominous recollection, depending on the scene.

I could see that, too... Places like Marcaul, The Underswamp, and the Temple of Ishtass have sprung up in the interim, while [redacted] and [redacted] will be familiar, yet have gone through respective changes over the last [redacted] years.

:M

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
-nyFScRhLb5kGTvkW6pyMhco59mQW8LEA1H-UXn7UXZSsMk3vAnvtvn9JGlB7VDLMtCRqroUVBP9i3QVIWqP6TlzGj9lSF6tP_zzDXaIYIU9zQE3GhfrutSe0THuZefW2_-eIthK2rC9cIN3l9U_la3i_ASeCWBORk_JxmY=s0-d-e1-ft
Issue #31 - December 8, 2016
Hello backers,

Hope you’re all enjoying the year’s end with a virtual cornucopia of new, fun games.

We have much to update you on this month!

Let’s dive right in…
Next Steps for Underworld Ascendant
Our current efforts on Underworld Ascendant are focused on creating a tight, polished experience that demonstrates its core distinctive gameplay.

As you know, Underworld Ascendant takes place in a deep, dark subterranean realm, set into the caldera of a volcano. Life exists there – improbably – but, there are sights of wonder.
91VRgrSjlVLouPmnBnRguCZGejeewDiOcELU3mIOgYhRXEGjDUzecfDeyX4PHxID2IPG8AfgRQ_ZFnz36uURpLzIXav9JYeTsHHtwdcFVG_YanOfqxE2TFKxziDc6B4BxfQdI8KCCYLYsklkqyOLBUNeCCrdyHG1WWxrlC4=s0-d-e1-ft

An ancient map depicting the eight layers of The Stygian Abyss.
One of them is Marcaul, a Tangiers-like neutral zone, a key nexus point for the player throughout the game. As you start our current level, you glimpse it in the distance, a beautiful vista, but are barred from entry.The inhabitants there want you to prove yourself first -- before they’ll allow you inside. You’re sent to perform The Challenge of Ishtass in the caves below.

This is how we introduce the player to The Improvisation Engine: the bevy of tools at your disposal that allows player-authored solutions to problems. It’s one of the key aspects that differentiates Underworld Ascendant from other games.

Later, we’ll get into the particulars about which Fighter, Rogue, and Mage-related skills and equipment are available to you and what the (secret, lore-related) goal of The Challenge of Ishtass is.

But, what’s barring you from your goal?
LOZJ0OLOUFfP1RnNJttJyklEe1zjzTW05ufB47NLF88i8Evvb8t3wydKsCyVWB15mR6rKghAJ-b3Xg6L1Zqo7JVcEM9VfyZZa9LpQ2dRdWw_6dIFydTCBxQHf6y2bWn1_v_gktJsIN2V0UisiyG36MW9RoFAmxfP7Gs9XL0=s0-d-e1-ft

Say "Bica, yeshor'click!" to an old friend.
  • LIZARD MEN -- Well-known and loved characters from Ultima Underworld, who were tied into some of the most memorable moments of the game. There are swordsmen and archers with behaviors -- and magical weapons -- that are clearly readable from a distance.
OV_-nWB-Tyae7dKaeMID2z9_bhjNUSYk_O_ZxyvKzFcH3Sqek_2H3q0xY1UpLv-QC1EuYm9unLuLyaHT0LWd6SXsl9rRFmrPDWctji9GbbQ1li9PMLrFnGUQLx2NFKqXygrtGwHHTKOGu-Spq6HAjNfBBG9dmiQjrA-k_So=s0-d-e1-ft

A peek at an Underworld Ascendant Mind Crippler by Art Director Nate Wells.
  • THE MIND CRIPPLER - It’s a horror…. A disembodied brain with stinging tentacles and a unique hunting technique: It uses a psychic attack that enrages other creatures and causes them to fight, then hangs back and eats the fallen.The player enters this space from above and has an opportunity to observe the situation to formulate a plan first. Each class has a different take on solving challenges and unique options, while the environment – and the creatures within it – present interesting opportunities as well.
That’s what The Improvisation Engine is all about: player choice. We present a challenge and a bevy of interesting tools, and the solution is up to you. It’s one the distinctive, core elements of Underworld Ascendant and the next stage in the kind of player-authored gameplay that Looking Glass helped invent.

We’ll have more details next time and, as mentioned last month, intend to share it with backers early next year!

I don't know why it's so fucking hard to copy these emails.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
All this vagueness makes me very excited. Having no gameplay or technical exposition reassures me on their ability to deliver what they promise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom