Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Prototype Thread

Aenra

That one does not categorise perhaps? In the sense of pre-defining and/or expecting?
You're dealing with norms and expectations in this. You get a whif of a category, you instantly conjure the images that follow it. Playstyle, gear, what usually is best for 'x' or 'y' a role and so on.

It's why i commented on the --unarmed-- rogue sometime before. I like what it could entail when coupled with the 'statless' announcement. Doesn't mean she never gets to have any arsenal, could simply mean the game will behave more naturally, and a sense of progression/evolving may only be experienced by the way you respond to the game (rather than the game responding to your numbers rising).
If physics, AI, and interactive objects said mob AI can understand and manipulate, i see no need for stats. You are a rogue because you always try and take the half smart/half sneaky cunt way. Might be there will be non-weapon items and trainers tailored to such playstyles that will be found as a consequence of acting like that.
Not vice versa, ie because it will be an a-priori expectation of the player; i chose rogue, i expect daggers, because that's what i am taught to expect.

edit: might be none of this gets to happen, and she's unarmed because no weapon meshes ingame, and the game is 'statless' because less crunching and iteration involved, lol.. too soon to tell :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another podcast interview with Neurath and Fielder: http://www.gamesradar.com/radioradar-podcast-24-holiday-syndicate/

Will listen later.

Listened to this. It starts at around 43:30.

It's largely a repeat of some of the same stuff said in the Tom Chick interview, but they do go into a bit of additional detail about the factions. You'll have to "meet certain requirements" to join up with them, and they'll give you missions. You'll experience the narrative from their point of view.

Anyway: https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=898.0

Hey everyone,

Now that we've released footage of the Underworld Ascendant Playable Prototype, I wanted to hit you all up to see if you have any questions I can answer about it -- or the game in general.

Please post what you've got. I mean to snag a handful to answer in next week's backer update, but I'll also try to dig into the rest here afterward. Sound good?

Thanks! Really appreciate it.

Best,

Joe

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Listened to this. It starts at around 43:30.

It's largely a repeat of some of the same stuff said in the Tom Chick interview, but they do go into a bit of additional detail about the factions. You'll have to "meet certain requirements" to join up with them, and they'll give you missions. You'll experience the narrative from their point of view.

Anyway: https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=898.0

So a "fancy" way of saying scripted nonsense...gotcha.

Zep--

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
-nyFScRhLb5kGTvkW6pyMhco59mQW8LEA1H-UXn7UXZSsMk3vAnvtvn9JGlB7VDLMtCRqroUVBP9i3QVIWqP6TlzGj9lSF6tP_zzDXaIYIU9zQE3GhfrutSe0THuZefW2_-eIthK2rC9cIN3l9U_la3i_ASeCWBORk_JxmY=s0-d-e1-ft
Issue #13, October 26th 2015

ANSWERS FROM THE ABYSS

Following the release of the latest footage, we figured it was a good time to solicit fans for questions about it -- or the game in general. Here’s a handful of what you sent our way:

slayerming2: In the original Kickstarter, you called a certain character a thief, but it seems like in the more recent video, it’s called a rogue. Are you moving away from the original idea? How stealth focus can you play, if you want to be as stealthy as possible?

We don’t have specific character classes in Underworld Ascendant per se, such as a Thief or Rogue class. Rather players can gain skills and abilities that fall broadly into combat, stealth, or magic categories. The player can choose to bear down in one those categories; creating a character who is very adaptable in physical combat situations, or is able to creep into areas to get the lay of the land and sneak past tough opponents, or unlock the “source code of reality” with runic magic. Or they could mix and match, say, creating a powerful mage sort who also had a few stealth skills, enabling them to better sneak into an area, see what challenges await, and prepare just the right spell.

It’s all about player choice -- and since you can’t exceed at everything, you’ll have to decide where to focus. Skills and abilities will be distinctly different enough where you can play through multiple times and potentially have a very different gameplay experience. (Paul and Joe talk about this more in the Quarter to Three podcast here.)

On your question of stealth focus, stealth in our game will feel a little different than in other games, thus the use of the term “rogue.” We’ll get into exactly how later on, but since our lead designer Tim Stellmach was the lead designer on the original Thief at Looking Glass, I think we can safely say stealth will be a distinctly fun experience in Underworld Ascendant.

rustbyte: I’m curious to how you envision boss-type encounters. Can we see boss-like (ie ‘Elite’) mobs in the game?

Not sure if our creatures will hit that exact description, but there will definitely be challenging creatures with a robust set of skills and abilities, sometimes including the power to alert or command other monsters. The first who comes to mind is the Arch-Lich Tyball, who you may recall in pre-undead form in the original Ultima Underworld.
GameOutLoudRob: What’s one awesome thing the player will be able to do in your game and no other?

With the Improvisation Engine, there will be dozens of unique actions that the player can come up with. Between the players’ interactions with the environment, the procedural runic magic system, and the opportunities to influence the behaviors of the creatures in The Stygian Abyss. If we do our jobs correctly, Underworld Ascendant will have one of the most dynamic game toolboxes you’ve ever played with.

uutsa: Why did you chose to use such an ultra-low field of view value [in the recent footage]?

We have more than a year of work left on Underworld Ascendant, so many details like FOV will change repeatedly over time, but I can say that we currently have it adjusted to 90 as a default and it will be alterable.

mg: I seem to remember that zombies were a categorical no-no a few months ago. Have you come to your senses in this regard already?

Currently there’s no plans for zombies, but… you’ll likely find our take on Underworld Ascendant’s undead ecology to be fairly intriguing. More on that later, but we’re pretty excited about it, so hopefully you will be too.

MentalKase: Are you planning on having branching dialogue trees and will you be able to talk your way out of fights with intelligent creatures?

Underworld Ascendant’s narrative system is one element of the game we’re holding off on talking about in full detail right now, but mean to dig into in a big way later. It’s another aspect we think is potentially pretty unique, so can’t wait to tell you all about it.

Toddsworth: Is there an estimated time when the playable prototype will be released to backers? Just wondering and really excited!

We’re working on having a new Playable Prototype -- one that’s focused on fun interactions with the Improvisation Engine -- ready to share with backers the second half of November.

That’s it for this round. Thanks for all the questions! We’ll be answering a few morehere on our forums over the next week and change. Don’t forget to join in!

Finally, next Wednesday, November the 4th at 1pm ET, the team will be conducting another OtherSide Plays OtherGames Twitch session. This time we will be playing Dishonored. We hope to have some special guests to announce as well, so stay tuned for more info over the coming week.

Guess the guy who said the prototype was this month was wrong. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
We’re working on having a new Playable Prototype -- one that’s focused on fun interactions with the Improvisation Engine -- ready to share with backers the second half of November.

Right when the whole world is playing Fallout 4? Recipe for disaster.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
:smug:

Zep--

Now, let's talk about why this didn't happen...

It was obvious to anyone with half a brain and not FANBOI FAGIT Blue Sky/Looking Glass crazy, that that "demo" was a TOTALLY scripted event.

There was no AI there, there was no EMERGENT game play or whatever buzz words these shills have used.

It was a bullshit, linear, scripted, over-dubbed, fucking piece of non-sense.

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
So to save face...here is what they will probably attempt (since that prototype is fake as shit)

They'll use that same "lol prototypelevel"
They'll add some basic retarded script (NOT AI) where you can actually see the monster following you if you turn and look back.
(Monster will still not catch you though, because...well, scripted)
Monster will whack at light sources until you are the scripted distance away.
Monster will whack at next light source until you are the next scripted distance away.
Monster may or may not get whacked by the spiky bar. But I doubt that because the pop-a-molers will love that. HUE HUE MONSTAR RAN INTO TRAP AWESUM!
*tee hee* *giggle*

10/27/2015.

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Did you watch the first prototype video released with the overdubs?

Zep--

Not that I actually believe they were overdubs...These guys are so off their rockers I kind of think it was actually intentional and scripted until they received the backlash, then all of a sudden "Oh...that was just over dub on the video to help explain it"...yeah....right.

Zep--

Ash

Arcane
You see a stone wall.
You see a loaf of bread.
You see a seriously butthurt repressed homosexual.

*Talks to Seriously Butthurt Repressed Homosexual*

1. Doth thou have a sore anus?
2. Doth thou want to explain the tale behind thy signature? I'm intrigued.
3. Goodbye.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom