Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Prototype Thread

Darkzone

Arcane
I don't know about a system without states and only with perks, it is kind of limited. If anything then stats should be raised by actions that give them xps and the stats should be mostly hidden from the player. So the player should see that he can now carry more or can move faster or have more mana, but not how this comes to be.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know about a system without states and only with perks, it is kind of limited. If anything then stats should be raised by actions that give them xps and the stats should be mostly hidden from the player. So the player should see that he can now carry more or can move faster or have more mana, but not how this comes to be.

It sounds like they might be planning something like this, since the perks obviously won't be taken automatically (they say the player chooses them in the previous paragraph)

Darkzone

Arcane
Train-by-use is in my thinking one of the best approaches if it is made good. Wasteland in my opinion had the best system, because it was a mix of both systems. It allowed to change a "build" in middle / later stage to adapt to the energy weapons.
Sadly they did not use this MSPE mechanic in Wasteland 2 and Wasteland had the problem that besides IQ all other stats were nearly useless.

resilient sphere

Educated
I'm not saying "bring back the mantras!" and I do agree that the attributes in Underworld were mostly fluff, since you quickly learned to care only about max HP, MP and encumberance, but ditching them altogether, paired with adopting a skill practice and perk system, is another suggestion that they're tailoring this game towards the Skyrim crowd. It feels awkwardly modern for a sequel to a game which was so rigid in terms of what actually worked - I don't WANT an Underworld game to be a sandbox!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not saying "bring back the mantras!" and I do agree that the attributes in Underworld were mostly fluff, since you quickly learned to care only about max HP, MP and encumberance, but ditching them altogether, paired with adopting a skill practice and perk system, is another suggestion that they're tailoring this game towards the Skyrim crowd. It feels awkwardly modern for a sequel to a game which was so rigid in terms of what actually worked - I don't WANT an Underworld game to be a sandbox!

The developers have outright said "This will not be a casual game", so I'd assume it's not being tailored towards the Skyrim crowd, but yeah, they're not nostalgists either and things like stats have never meshed well with the Looking Glass aspiration towards simulation. We don't even know if they're going to do dialogue trees because LGS never really liked those either.

resilient sphere

Educated
I hope you're right =P just saying "this will not be a casual game" isn't quite enough to mollify all concerns about the direction it appears to be taking

Old Hans

Arcane
The best thing about UU was exploring the giant interconnected dungeon. All I keep hearing about is:

"what kind of cat food do the lizard people eat? Do they need to use toilets? Who plants the crops? What happens if I eat all the cat food?"

The best thing about UU was exploring the giant interconnected dungeon. All I keep hearing about is:

"what kind of cat food do the lizard people eat? Do they need to use toilets? Who plants the crops? What happens if I eat all the cat food?"

Damn straight. They're stalling on a concept.

The developers have outright said "This will not be a casual game", so I'd assume it's not being tailored towards the Skyrim crowd, but yeah, they're not nostalgists either and things like stats have never meshed well with the Looking Glass aspiration towards simulation. We don't even know if they're going to do dialogue trees because LGS never really liked those either.

I'm part of the minority that does not care for dialogue, either. The best way to tell is to "show-by-doing."

Aenra

I may have been too conservative in my line of thinking..

Mother Infinitron brought a good point up. And admittedly, my favouring systems, numbers and so on is more of an outcome (of decline in all else) than say preference. I fear the 'hollow'/shallow element that is common in many RPGs, with or without the quotes. In theory, i could see how the opposite could work out as well. Did i just say that..?.. Well anyway, i may need learn to at the very least wait and see :)

( although i've been waiting for twenty-fucking-two long years, lol, so they better not mess it up)
[**#@!!!%]

I may have been too conservative in my line of thinking..

Mother Infinitron brought a good point up. And admittedly, my favouring systems, numbers and so on is more of an outcome (of decline in all else) than say preference. I fear the 'hollow'/shallow element that is common in many RPGs, with or without the quotes. In theory, i could see how the opposite could work out as well. Did i just say that..?.. Well anyway, i may need learn to at the very least wait and see :)

( although i've been waiting for twenty-fucking-two long years, lol, so they better not mess it up)
[**#@!!!%]

I think at this point the outcome of the game will depend upon how well they simulate a living world.

Once you gut the treadmill, you gut the RPG out of roleplaying game.

Then again, I never considered Looking Glass to be makers of RPGs, so much as emergent gameplay.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Borderline autistic attention to simulation is my fetish so I won't complain

Then again, I never considered Looking Glass to be makers of RPGs, so much as emergent gameplay.
Ant that's why sometimes their games approximate an RPG experience better than most CRPGs
True, you actually feel like a thief on Thief, what hilariously doesn't happen on pretty much every cRPG ever that has a thief class.

Darkzone

Arcane
True, you actually feel like a thief on Thief, what hilariously doesn't happen on pretty much every cRPG ever that has a thief class.
What!!! After all the chest's that you have robbed in all the different houses, where you have went in without permission of the homeowner's, you don't feel like being a thief?! Speaking about lack of self awareness of own deeds! Or are you one of those people in RL who simply enters a house and takes things without permission with the intention to never give them back, simply because there is nobody near to call you a thief and attack you or because the house owners haven't closed their house or home.

Last edited:

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
"We live in a bit of a funny place. We are a sequel to the Underworlds, and have the rights to the previous IP *except* that we are not an "Ultima" game and can't use the Ultima specific IP."

Lord British<>Lord Critish
Iolo<>YOLO(lololol)
Dupree<>Capri(pants!)
Stygian Abyss<>Pig Sty Amiss.

So Otherside...just some lame attempt then?

Why even bother? Nostalgia didn't cut it...Tyball didn't cut it ... soo...throw old ideals out and do something new..."BUTT MUH ULTIMAHS!".

Please...kings of contradiction.

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Natives are getting restless..must be time for a pledge update! :)

$894,611 6/12 - Lich Update
+0
$894,883 6/15
+272
$894,985 6/18
+102
$894,985 6/21
+0
$894,985 6/23 Answers Update #2
+0
$894,985 6/24
+0
$896,705 6/28
+1720
$896,705 6/29
+0
$896,705 7/2
+0

Zep--

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm someone who has stated several times that the Underworld games are a Big Thing for me in my gaming experience, which is getting pretty long.

I did not support Underworld Ascendant for their Kickstarter (because KS) but has intended, until this point, planned to support them via PayPal once I had a better idea of what they were planning to release upon us.

But realizing that there's a (drunk) obsessive compulsory nutjob out there who's keeping track of every minute change in the donations to Otherside's first-time creation, I am forced to pause. To hesitate. Because clearly some people are taking this far more seriously than I ever could.

It's one thing to keep track of someone's progress with a project, but it's another thing entirely to keep an up-to-date detailed manifesto of every mistake, lie, or newspeak-inducing moment that the person(s) involved has, or may ever utter.

Simply put, that shit is not cool. You come off as a fucking psychopath. Prosperland is over there, hop in.

So before you scare off any more potential backers, I must ask you a question: Whose side are you on? Do you want this to happen or not? I am fully aware that right now the ball is in their [the developers] court, but that does not excuse or justify your actions, which can be viewed as sabotage.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So before you scare off any more potential backers, I must ask you a question: Whose side are you on? Do you want this to happen or not? I am fully aware that right now the ball is in their [the developers] court, but that does not excuse or justify your actions, which can be viewed as sabotage.
It's pretty clear he thinks this is a scam and doesn't want it to happen at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom