Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Release Thread

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Also, wasn't some link up between this and SotA supposed to be a selling point (for both)?

Never hear about that anymore.

Both companies thinking the other's game is shit, I imagine.

Thing is... they're both right.

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Also put those fucking hands in your pocket if you're not using them.

Just amature design. I thought this was industry professionals with over 1,000 years experience or some shit.

It's a fucking joke.

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
That fucking camera speed...

Seems alrighty to me. I lack a good eye for stuff like that though. Care to elaborate?

It's the default FPS Unity camera. Just dropped into the code.

For twitch players used to doing 180s at the flick of the wrist.

They need to add some smoothing, and slow it down a bit.

But they won't...it will interfere with their AssCreed parkour design.

Zep--

Thal

Augur
I've been following the development of this game, since it began and I'm not sure devs understand what their audience is looking for in UU, or immersive sims in general.

Where did they get the idea that using unnatural colour to highlight edges of everything you interract with, in a fantasy game no less, is immersive in any way? Or that the "authored" look would serve the immersive experience rather than detract from it? Or that in an immersive game, you are given a sheet which explains how many of the possbile objectives you have completed and then handed out an appropriate number of points? Note, I'm talking about presentation not xp-points or mission objectives.

Did they really think that stacking boxes and solving physics puzzles should be the core gameplay experience in an UU game? And what about the colourful environmental design? UU was claustrophobic and bleak. Sound design has in some vids been great, I'll give them that.

Does this game have directional attacks, if not, why?

I really wish this game will succeed but I doubt it more and more as time passes.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Funny bit from Jared (the QA and Youtuber guy) on Discord, when someone linked "F*** Ladders video" about Arkan's design mantras:

Oh jesus

Our level designer, Justin, has the exact same mindset with ladders. He got into an argument about the next thing we're working on because someone mentioned implementing ladders, and it went on for an hour.

Ladders are a really passive way of traversing space vertically, and could be done better with layouts using ramps

Or even ropes, which have way more options as to where you can jump on and off, as well as requiring the player to swing from them

"the next thing"

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
"the next thing"

Do you think he meant the next thing in the game, or the next game? If the second, it seems... fabulously optimistic.

The next game, I assume. I think it's unlikely they talk about implementing ladders in UA at this stage.

(Also there have been some hints that they are preparing for the next project.)

Curratum

They are making SS3. Good luck with funding that KS once UA gets a metascore of 65 and Mostly Negative reviews on Steam.

imweasel

^
This game has potential, but it needs a whole shit load of polishing. Otherside would be completely foolish to release it in its current state in September.

They should delay it or take the early access route, if they are smart.

Curratum

They have been asked about either a delay or EA, they said they're doing neither - it's full release on late Sep, early Oct.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=2030.0

July 9 Weekly Update

Morning everyone!

I see there's been a lot of discussion about the Backer Alpha and your suggestions for how we can improve the game before the final release, and we're catching up on reading those now!

There have been some big discussions slated for this week and the next, as well as sprints dedicated specifically to tying together the narrative, quest loop, level design, and more, all while tackling some of the problems brought up by many of you. Keep in mind that some things, such as object highlighting and narrative VO being cut down, is much easier to remove and toggle because we are already planning for that. Many of you have also expressed suggestions that are already in the game, but not present in the Backer Alpha. (Steel doors that can only be lockpicked, wooden doors have now been tweaked so swords cannot bash them down as quickly, weapon durability, player torch is being fine-tuned, runic spellcasting is nearly finished, maps are getting a new pass, etc.) For those of you worried about the hub, I would encourage you to think of the hub as just another level with specific NPCs you can interact with, rather than a safe zone. In fact, depending on how dire the situation is, it may be a hard fight just to return to Marcaul at all... (semi-Marcaul spoilers in the link. That's the most I can show right now!)

We've been quiet because we're hunkering down on the game, and most notably coming up on external playtesting soon. There's a lot of things we're experimenting with based on your feedback, and we'll need your input soon, so keep an eye out for an email either by the end of this week or the beginning of next week.

FireKing

Reginus Maximus
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
Fuck that piece of shite Shroud of the Avatar. This game is more of a spiritual successor to Ultima than that tripe! Been enjoying what I have seen of the Alpha.

SophosTheWise

Cipher
What I really don't like is that all those different approaches/solutions actually look like they are approaches. It doesn't look natural. It looks like it wants to be solved. And I don't like that. I hate that. So much for immersion.

Ash

Arcane
What I really don't like is that all those different approaches/solutions actually look like they are approaches. It doesn't look natural. It looks like it wants to be solved. And I don't like that. I hate that. So much for immersion.

So you hate 95% of video games ever made. Good to know.

Nah it's a fair-ish criticism in the case of games that strive to be immersive.

ciox

Liturgist

I wonder what causes this impression, I know that early on they just verbally hit you over the head with the multiple approaches, but later on it should get better.

Big Wrangle

I think a possible issue is that by striving for creative solutions, they started thinking of said solutions first then built the game around them. One thing Arkane has consistently talked about is their testers discovering solution developers did not even think would be attempted. Immersive sim development should push for emergeant level design first rather than "solution X Y Z."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom