Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Release Thread

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
One thing that's always been clear is that they never wanted or intended to make a "retro" game.

There's this dude on the OtherSide forums, MasterLobar, who for years deluded himself into believing he was getting an Underworld 2 sequel with Ultima references and stuff. And now he's upset. Kinda sad!

But that would have been another advantage of making a Thief-like game instead. Thief was a less retro game, more in tune with the developers' current sensibilities, so their pitch for it would have been more forthright and honest.
If they didn’t want to go “retro” then why not a new IP? If all they needed was the Underworld name recognition why oh why couldn’t they understand those of us who backed this Kickstarter and wanted something in the same ballpark as UU
Now, I don’t remember any box puzzles in UU and most of its limitations (like the combat) are more based on the restrictions from the time rather than design
Granted, most of us didn’t want pixalated textures to feel in a “retro” dungeons; we wanted well done believable dungeons, with a believable ecosystem, interesting believable puzzles...not fucking box puzzles or burning doors or neon light enemies

I am guessing they did want to make a “neo” Portal and they ended up with this fucking abomination

Gord

Arcane
We should wait until it's released, but right now my thinking is that this game should never have been made.

Well, it should have probably been delayed by a year or such, but I guess they lack the funds for that.

Ash

Arcane
Granted, most of us didn’t want pixalated textures to feel in a “retro” dungeons; we wanted well done believable dungeons, with a believable ecosystem, interesting believable puzzles...not fucking box puzzles or burning doors

Let's not shit on physics puzzles too much. It'd be great in moderation. They definitely have their place, just not as this alleged primary focus.

almondblight

Arcane
And they got their minds lost in the ideas of physics and influencing the world by magic.

Weren't they talking about multiple emergent cave ecosystems, and how killing animals in one area would change the entire ecosystem? It feels like they spent a few years screwing around without actually knowing what game they wanted to make.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
You know what is really telling about this whole project? We have yet to see a single NPC interaction or dialogue other than the retarded “non tutorial” bit; for all its great level design the UU games had some pretty memorable bits for its NPC interaction like the Lizardmen level and so far we have seen nothing yet on how the actual dialogue system is going to work... hell for all we know we might get the Mass Effect dialogue wheel or something equally “innovative” as their box puzzles

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
They're probably cobbling together the story and characters in the last month before shipping. This is actually not so unusual in game development.
This is such a colossal fuckup...the UU legacy deserves better
:0-13:
And have you guys seen the system requirements? Holy shit from what we have seem the Beta is running relatively well but a recommended 1080?

imweasel

I have an AMD RX480 and the beta ran perfectly fine @1080p with all graphics settings set to max.

This is such a colossal fuckup...the UU legacy deserves better
Yep. The beta doesn't feel like an Ultima Underworld game at all, which is a damn shame.

Last edited by a moderator:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I's always funny to watch a trainwreck like this, except i bought a ticket...
Be fast mate!
Guy-Jumps-Off-Moving-Train.gif

jungl

Augur
I dont know why you guys have high hopes for this to begin with. If anything it'll be as good as arx fatalis. Theres no train wreck when its destined to be niche indie title from the get go

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
They did the same thing with with thief series you niggas ignorant. Lst months into thief series dev didnt even know whats game gonna be like. Also why codex is quiet on razorfist calling us out at every opportunity? Especially saying we are sperging out about AA game???

Mortmal

Arcane

Big Wrangle

You kinda invite scrunity when you have names involved in something that is kind of a big deal for many people.

Old Hans

Arcane
And they got their minds lost in the ideas of physics and influencing the world by magic.

Weren't they talking about multiple emergent cave ecosystems, and how killing animals in one area would change the entire ecosystem? It feels like they spent a few years screwing around without actually knowing what game they wanted to make.
yea that shit was retarded. they started heading into Chris Roberts territory with that nonsense

Curratum

What could these statues mean

They mean your textures are shit, you have glazed, glossy terracotta tiles next to grey-blue stone and it all looks like ass but I'm sure it's all in line with your "authored look"... Oh, wait, you ran out of money for your expensive art dude almost a year ago and you've done about a dozen art passes of your levels since then, so now it all looks like shit.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Have to say I have had the same thought.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom