Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unhealthy interest in sales figures

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Everyone likes women.

TikiHsTBkulA3GqxnHH81Z1wVohSiSvOwniRgMjpKrDyO4WTQuOPdY54qxNcKBbR.jpg

Urbanolo

Augur
So should i buy it now or will the discount increase this summer sale? 21 euro is a lot for a poor potato.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
VD has explained everything here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/230070/discussions/0/598198173702591630/
The game is already with a discount. After Summer Sale it will go up to 28 euro and stay like that for 6 months so grab it now, it's worth way more than that.

Gra jest naprawdę świetna, najlepsze cRPG w jakie grałem (nie licząc Fallouta 1). Jak nie kupisz teraz to będziesz żałował, bo cena na pewno nie spadnie prędko. A piracenie tej niszowej gry byłoby zbrodnią, to już lepiej olać inne gry i dopłacić do tej.

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
That art is fucking KICK ASS <3
<3 Once I finish some of the few remaining tasks I plan to polish it up a bit and post it as a wallpaper for those who like that kind of stuff. It's been a low priority since there were a lot of essential things we needed to implement into the game sooner, but now that we're so close to release I can eventually focus on it, and IF we get some media coverage we can use it for promotional material as well.

Just to give you guys an idea on how close we are to release, this is the list of remaining tasks I made for myself about a week ago, and their current status.

-"Mysterious Orb" (Done, as well as slipped in another artifact icon for good measure)
-Two City Maps (Almost completed one of them, I should be able to send it to the guys later today for feedback/implementation)
-Promotional Illustration aka Capsule (Uploaded to Steam early due to the sudden summer sale suggestion, will eventually improve it)
-Remaining portraits
Lydia
Bassar​
and "super evil" Meru
-Remaining achievements.​

So that is the list from last week, so it might take another week or two to complete the remaining work, and we will see what pops up from here to release. Some low priority stuff (like improving the main UI and dialogue window, portrait improvements, etc) will likely be the last remaining things I have left. ITZ coming fellas!

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just to give you guys an idea on how close we are to release, this is the list of remaining tasks I made for myself about a week ago, and their current status.

-"Mysterious Orb" (Done, as well as slipped in another artifact icon for good measure)
-Two City Maps (Almost completed one of them, I should be able to send it to the guys later today for feedback/implementation)
-Promotional Illustration aka Capsule (Uploaded to Steam early due to the sudden summer sale suggestion, will eventually improve it)
-Remaining portraits
Lydia
Bassar​
and "super evil" Meru
-Remaining achievements.​
+ Steam Cards

I believe they bring some extra potato for the developer amirite. So why not adding them?

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
+ Steam Cards

I believe they bring some extra potato for the developer amirite. So why not adding them?
I'm not very familiar with steam cards or how they work (is it to trade with players to collect full sets for badges?), but I'm sure I can whip some up once I finish the remaining tasks. If people like collecting them, then why not?

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
+ Steam Cards

I'm not very familiar with steam cards or how they work (is it to trade with players to collect full sets for badges?), but I'm sure I can whip some up once I finish the remaining tasks. If people like collecting them, then why not?
yup and also the devs (along with steam) get a commision from every operation with those cards

Hey, VD, on main steam page i spotted this:
header.jpg

It is new?
It is fucking great.
:thumbsup:

:takemymoney: I approve of this new cover. Don't know why I haven't done so yet, but give me a few days and you'll have my money. If it weren't for the liberals, this would have been in my library years ago.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I think they are doing a main page slider that is based around your interests right now. I downloaded a weeaboo visual novel and rpg maker a while back and now my main page is filled with weeaboo crap along with RPGs and strategy games - which I actually am interested in.

I see AAA game launches from time to time too though, so I think the promo at launch policy is still in effect as well though, so we can probably look forward to AoD being on everyone's front page too once it is released.

darthaegis

Cipher
I think they are doing a main page slider that is based around your interests right now. I downloaded a weeaboo visual novel and rpg maker a while back and now my main page is filled with weeaboo crap along with RPGs and strategy games - which I actually am interested in.

I see AAA game launches from time to time too though, so I think the promo at launch policy is still in effect as well though, so we can probably look forward to AoD being on everyone's front page too once it is released.
You can customise the stuff you see on the front page, but it usually will give you "recommended" crap (I myself have mostly wRPGs on my account but Gaben insists on trying to sell me weaboo shit) and releases.

Weasel
I wonder how much impact being in the sale (and announcing a future price increase) had on sales. I've seen a number of people say they've been thinking of getting it for ages but now bought it while it was on sale.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
12,273 copies on Steam, 14,997 overall.
Thought it would be close.

What AoD needs is a marketing campaign. I remember there were plans for a donation drive for that particular objective and I would definitely donate for that purpose. Then again I wouldn't donate more than 10$ and even if 15k people would donate that amount (which is extremely unlikely) advertisement in a major gaming magazine or a gaming portal must be insanely expensive. Out of curiosity I've checked the cost of advertisement in the biggest Polish gaming magazine (CD-Action, with average circulation of 130k copies) and the prices start from 12.5k PLN (about 3.4k$) for a 1/4th of a page in some obscure place to 78k PLN (21.4k$) on undercover (or whatever it's called in English). I imagine that in the biggest US magazine the numbers would be the same, only instead of "PLN" there would be "USD".

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
What AoD needs is a marketing campaign.
It does.

I remember there were plans for a donation drive for that particular objective and I would definitely donate for that purpose.
We wouldn't ask people to donate for marketing. We're only asking to buy the game if they liked the demo and help us spread the word.

Then again I wouldn't donate more than 10$ and even if 15k people would donate that amount (which is extremely unlikely) advertisement in a major gaming magazine or a gaming portal must be insanely expensive. Out of curiosity I've checked the cost of advertisement in the biggest Polish gaming magazine (CD-Action, with average circulation of 130k copies) and the prices start from 12.5k PLN (about 3.4k$) for a 1/4th of a page in some obscure place to 78k PLN (21.4k$) on undercover (or whatever it's called in English). I imagine that in the biggest US magazine the numbers would be the same, only instead of "PLN" there would be "USD".
Most likely. I think we're too niche to benefit from magazine ads (the chance to stumble upon a person who likes the game would be very small). Such ads work best for mass appeal games/products.

Weasel
I'd guess that for niche games word of mouth would ultimately work best. When it's finished I plan to buy copies for a few friends who I think may enjoy that sort of game, I'll suggest that if they like the game they in turn buy a copy for someone else. I think many people who grow to appreciate AoD become very big supporters of it, but some are put off almost immediately as it's not for everyone. So by passing it on to, say, 3 suitable people, perhaps one will take the message on in turn.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Website and magazine ads are not very cost effective. I believe Charles-cgr tried on on RPS and didn't have good results.
Maybe he should have tried IGN then :P. Or bribe kingcomrade TotalBiscuit. In all seriousness though, in your opinion what would be the most efficient way to advertise it? Steam ads?

I think we're too niche to benefit from magazine ads (the chance to stumble upon a person who likes the game would be very small). Such ads work best for mass appeal games/products.
You're probably right. Although I imagine that if an ad of your game would appear in CD-Action Age of Decadence demo would suddenly have a couple of thousands more downloads.

I'd guess that for niche games word of mouth would ultimately work best. When it's finished I plan to buy copies for a few friends who I think may enjoy that sort of game, I'll suggest that if they like the game they in turn buy a copy for someone else. I think many people who grow to appreciate AoD become very big supporters of it, but some are put off almost immediately as it's not for everyone. So by passing it on to, say, 3 suitable people, perhaps one will take the message on in turn.
I'm getting an additional GOG copy for myself but nothing more I'm afraid. Maybe once the price will go down I'll buy another copy and give it to someone, although I'm not sure if any of my friends would appreciate this kind of cRPG...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom