Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unity Pulls an Adobe! No more permanent licenses and 4x the price

Farage

Arcane
Patron
So this just happened: http://blogs.unity3d.com/en/2016/05/31/new-products-and-prices/
Unity announced a new price policy with some really crazy stuff
They dropped the permanent licenses and are removing all the existing ones from 2017 and forward
On top of that, they extended the period of the monthly licenses to a year and made some really weird tiers that makes no sense
Everyone is losing their collective mind over this and as Unity tries to make this look better it keeps going downhill
Other than that, theres also this:
pNK2Sq.jpg

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/06/02/do-you-want-to-make-your-studio-more-diverse/
So, let me see this straight
Unity is suddenly going :keepmyjewgold: with :incloosive: policies?
What a surprise... right guys?
Here are the new prices by the way:
Pasted-image-at-2016_05_27-02_47-PM.png

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are the pictures in that blog post from unity offices? Suddenly our open plan office doesn't look that horrible...

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I left them six months ago, but not after they extracted a few hundred bucks from me - a sucker is born every minute. They market themselves as indie friendly but their asset store contract is hostile to online teams. The cost of their engine is nothing compared to that.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
This won't affect Unity's market share, I'd say Unity is easier to pick up for small projects compared to Unreal which is more suited for large projects.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
C#, from my experience, is a simpler language than C++ (you dont have to worry as much about memory and how its allocated like with C++) plus Unity has a lot of Asset Store tools that Unreal hasn't that make development easier and faster for the sole-indie.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
This won't affect Unity's market share, I'd say Unity is easier to pick up for small projects compared to Unreal which is more suited for large projects.
Why's that?

It depends how your mind works. If you like visual programming you can pick it up fast. This guy can't program and said he failed with Unity, yet moved to Unreal and made Turn Based Tool Kit in 1 year. See it here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/knuteiliv/videos

He's a very bright guy though. Is working on his PhD at some Ivy League University I think.

I personally can't cope with Blueprints. For anything complex it looks like chaos, so I'm hoping Skookum Script will take off at Unreal.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
So you can't just write, gotta use blueprints for everything?

You can use C++ if you want. Last year I swear it took 20 seconds to compile anything, now it seems like 5 seconds.

The problem is most of the assets are in Blueprints, so I've only bought two. Skookum is free to use, has all the Blueprint function calls replicated, but its still in beta.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
I believe how Epic intends for C++ & Blueprints to be used is that you use C++ for entire systems and connect that to blueprints for scripting out specific instances using the system your wrote in C++. You can make your own blueprint nodes and all so you can extend blueprints to do a wide variety of things, it all depends on how you use it.

Zanzoken

Arcane
People who spell common names in weird ways get on my nerves.

Your name is Natasha bitch, adding an apostrophe doesn't make you unique or special.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I believe how Epic intends for C++ & Blueprints to be used is that you use C++ for entire systems and connect that to blueprints for scripting out specific instances using the system your wrote in C++. You can make your own blueprint nodes and all so you can extend blueprints to do a wide variety of things, it all depends on how you use it.

Yep you can use BP a little or use all BP to make your games. This guy used almost all C++ to make a survival template.
https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Survival_sample_game

Chamezero

subscribe now and pay 35 dollaridongos per month for a black theme

John-Riccitiello.jpg

:mixedemotions:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom