Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unity Pulls an Adobe! No more permanent licenses and 4x the price

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
subscribe now and pay 35 dollaridongos per month for a black theme

Pay up or wreck your eyes peering at a deliberately bright interface. No thanks.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Don't care.
I'm using Unity Free and it does everything I need. Don't care much about the bright theme or the splash screen stuff -- most of the time I'm staring at the Mono/VS or in-game stuff and the splash screen takes about a second or two, so it's tolerable (at least for me).

But if this kind of stuff is going to continue and if they'll add additional restrictions for free users, I'll eventually consider moving to Godot.
Or GLOOME. :shittydog:

Farage

Arcane
Patron
That's the idea at least, if this goes forward, what prevents them from trying to fuck people further in the future?
Better safe than sorry am i right

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
So people who paid for lifetime licenses before this new policy will lose them? How is that even legal?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If this means the end of Unity, or at least the end of every second game using that shit, then :incline: :incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline:

join

DIE

join

DIE

So people who paid for lifetime licenses before this new policy will lose them? How is that even legal?

Oh, you poor baby. You think your real money gets you REAL rights with software these days? How adorable.

Unwanted

Bustamonte

Unwanted
Shitposter
I hope with all my heart Junity goes out of business. They are the most progressive and most abusive company in tech today. I doubt it will really happen, though they did have to turn to VC a while back. There's just too many dumb cucks who will keep passing out monies not seeing that it's a slippery slope. That's happened with a lot of engines actually, you buy in at some reasonable rate and then it goes up in price every year until it his 5k, 10k or 25k bucks and then that's it - anyone who does not make millions using this POS can't justify using it at all.

Also, where the fuck did the posts showing this bitch is a frumpy lesbian with pink hair go? They don't even show up in retardedland.

Chamezero

"Pay to own option

In addition, we will be offering pay to own Pro products for customers who want to keep their version of Unity at the end of their subs period. Existing perpetual customers will be able to purchase either a 24- or 36 month prepaid subscription to Pro that allows them to keep the software as a perpetual version at the end of their commitment period. The 36 month prepaid pay to own option will be available to new customers as well. Pricing for the pay to own options will be available when we launch the new licensing.

[...]Customers with perpetual licenses can continue on their current licenses for as long as they like, but we will stop supporting Unity 5 perpetual licenses with new features and updates by March 3, 2017."

I think they added this to the post after people complained.
36 month prepaid subscription lmao

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
That's the idea at least, if this goes forward, what prevents them from trying to fuck people further in the future?
Better safe than sorry am i right

Nothing and Unreal could do it too. I understand a Chinese company bought a big chunk of Unreal recently, so if they get control of Unreal they could turn into dicks as well.

I hope with all my heart Junity goes out of business. They are the most progressive and most abusive company in tech today. I doubt it will really happen, though they did have to turn to VC a while back. There's just too many dumb cucks who will keep passing out monies not seeing that it's a slippery slope. That's happened with a lot of engines actually, you buy in at some reasonable rate and then it goes up in price every year until it his 5k, 10k or 25k bucks and then that's it - anyone who does not make millions using this POS can't justify using it at all.

After they drove little engine makers out of business with their bullshits, they are upping their prices again.

I keep telling myself I should go back to SDL, as commercial software has a short attention span. I've been burned by three companies now.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Bustamonte

Unwanted
Shitposter
After they drove little engine makers out of business with their bullshits, they are upping their prices again.

I keep telling myself I should go back to SDL, as commercial software has a short attention span. I've been burned by three companies now.

It's funny you mention SDL. I was going to use glfw but they don't really support my IDE any more and they suck anyway.

So I finally decided on SDL just yesterday. I am giving up on my old game idea "for now" even though it was far enough along for a halfassed alpha. I've just been fucked over by engine collapses and similar issues so much the project is in a total mess state at this point. I will do something a little more simple which doesn't have as big of engine requirements instead.

Unwanted

Bustamonte

Unwanted
Shitposter
You think anybody that paid the $200 for unlimited Megaupload use got a rain check on that?

Sure, but they went out of business. You bought a house but it burned down. This is like buying a house, and showing up only to find the doors locked and someone else is living there instead.

Alchemist

Arcane
Glad I switched my project to Godot a while back. 100% free and open source so I'll never have to worry about such shenanigans.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Engines like Unity made indie game development far more accessible to the masses. As result, we have a trillion of Quirky Indie Platformers, PewDiePie Bait, and Forest Walk Simulators.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
subscribe now and pay 35 dollaridongos per month for a black theme

John-Riccitiello.jpg

:mixedemotions:

We need a facial analysis immediately

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
My opinion on Unity is the same what Trotski said about Soviet Union. It belongs on the garbage heap of history.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom