Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unity vs Unreal

:Flash:

Arcane
Can you still make games out of the Fallout engine ? That would solve everything.
Well, there is fife (http://www.fifengine.net/), which originally stood for flexible, isometric, fallout-like engine.

Some prefer working on tools to making games and that's okay. For some working on tools is a way to avoid making a game. People need to admit this to themselves so they can either stop procrastinating, or focus on what they really like doing which is making tools.
It's my spare time, I can procrastinate as much as I want. Other people spend their spare time in front of the TV, and nobody tells them to stop and focus on something productive.

Last edited:

Keldryn

Arcane
Well, I got your point, but isn't it that Carmack is the man who started it all? He and his team were pioneers in the scene. They had been producing new engines like one time in 3 or 4 years, so he knows his shit.

I'm sure Id's latest engine is impressive. I'm just saying that it probably has some frustrating limitations and that the designers working with it probably loathe it at times. When I say all engines are shit, it's a statement about how difficult it is to design software of that level of complexity, even for the most talented and experienced programmers.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer

If I remember rightly, they gave up because it was buggy and there will never be a source release to fix the bugs.

It's my spare time, I can procrastinate as much as I want. Other people spend their spare time in front of the TV, and nobody tells them to stop and focus on something productive.

No need to get defensive. A lot of programmers get obsessed with low level stuff, to avoid working on the creative side of their games, because deep down they know they aren't particularly creative. My comment wasn't aimed at you specifically. It was aimed all around you. I do it too. :)

Farage

Arcane
Patron
In other news, Cryengine is now 100% free (100% royalty free too) and implemented C# support [with open source]
Seriously thinking about jumping in

Farage

Arcane
Patron

Turjan

Arcane
It seems as if several of these (white background prop packs) are allowed for use in any engine.

https://twitter.com/fourzerotwo/status/709994497229365248
http://pastebin.com/Jc4YAeGt

When you lawfully acquire our Asset Packs (listed below) as part of this Humble Bundle you are granted a nonexclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, worldwide and perpetual limited license to use the acquired Assets for your commercial or non-commercial projects developed on any game engine and to use, license and exploit such projects developed on any game engine with the embedded Assets in any way and in all media.
[...]
The above license shall apply to the following Asset Packs:

Plants and Shrubs
Trees
Environment Props
Prototyping Kit
Textures, Decals, & Visual Effects
Audio Kit
Vehicle Pack SE
City Pack SE
Weapons Pack
Vehicle Pack HQ
City Pack HQ
Character and Animals
Cool. So we can port these to a Unity game and make the engine cry?

Last edited:

Apexeon

Arcane
How many awesome indie RPG games have been made with Unreal?
Indie as in the team had next to no budget.

Let me look. Unreal list

Can't find one at the moment. Can anyone find a indie team (less then 10 people) who managed to make a eye candy awesome RPG with the Unreal engine?
How about Cry engine?

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Who gives a shit about Indie games? That ghetto unity crap was around longer than the new free to play Unreal or Crymore engines. Obviously it dominated among the ghetto people when it was the only affordable engine.

Farage

Arcane
Patron
So i tried using Cryengine 5, and heres why i failed:
Its heavy. Its really heavy, the engine itself has 3gb and it takes a solid half an hour to start running.
All of the functionality of the engine is aimed towards the FPS genre (as expected, duh)
And to top all that, there is little to no support/tutorials for the engine, if you google it right now, your best shot is to find something for cryengine 3
But wait a minute, whats this?
shit.png

So im going back to Unity. As much as it is "bad", it gets the job done - fast
Oh and lastly, theres just something going on with my engine in particular, in which it keeps checking for something called "WaitForAllowSendClientConnect" over and over at the engine, i tried googling for it - and the results were pretty shitty: a couple of 2013 topics and that was it.
shit.png

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
So i tried using Cryengine 5, and heres why i failed:
Its heavy. Its really heavy, the engine itself has 3gb and it takes a solid half an hour to start running.
All of the functionality of the engine is aimed towards the FPS genre (as expected, duh)
And to top all that, there is little to no support/tutorials for the engine, if you google it right now, your best shot is to find something for cryengine 3
But wait a minute, whats this?
shit.png

So im going back to Unity. As much as it is "bad", it gets the job done - fast
Oh and lastly, theres just something going on with my engine in particular, in which it keeps checking for something called "WaitForAllowSendClientConnect" over and over at the engine, i tried googling for it - and the results were pretty shitty: a couple of 2013 topics and that was it.
shit.png

> Engine has been publicly available outside the AAA world for 10 minutes
> WTF WHY NO STACK OVERFLOW TUTORIALS?

Google isn't a substitute for reading code - the engine is open source yes?
Did you even try figuring out the answers yourself?

How entitled has software development gotten.. :roll:

Farage

Arcane
Patron
Wow i cant believe i actually complimented you before, i didn't know you were a complete idiot
In any case, i'll explain it again shortly for the sake of clearing it up: I'm not moving away from the lack of Cryengine 5 tutorials, i'm moving away from the lack of ANY tutorials at all.
And also because they made it very clear (from the screenshot i took) that if you want tutorials, you gotta pay up. So if i have to pay up, i'll stick with my current engine, which i'm comfortable with.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
And also because they made it very clear (from the screenshot i took) that if you want tutorials, you gotta pay up.

That's basically anything ever..?

Unreal, Adobe, Microsoft and even Unity make their money off paid support. It's a cost vrs time investment proposition.
The engine is open source so you have four options:

1) Dig into the code and solve the problems yourself
2) Pay for support and have their team solve the issue for you
3) Wait X period of time for more people to use the engine and release more information / documentation
4) Switch to an existing engine with a large user base (Unity)

I'm not sure why you're offended or salty. The engine is open source so the support is only mandatory insofar that you are unwilling to roll your sleeves up and poke around.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Yeah Unity sure make their money off support
oh no wait whats this
https://www.youtube.com/user/Unity3D
A channel with 770 videos entirely for free.
From Unity staff themselves
hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Why are you getting so salty?

https://store.unity3d.com/products/support

Unity Sales Team said:
Need help with your workflow? Art assets? Scripting?

Whatever it is, we’ll do whatever it takes. If complex technical issues arise, your team of crack engineers and artists can be a life-saver. They’re at your disposal 24 hours a day throughout the working week with:
  • Named support: Up to 50 designated, qualified technical support contacts
  • One point of contact: Your dedicated support manager makes sure you get exactly what you need
  • Flexible packages: Choose from a variety of premium support options according to your needs
Choose your technical support package
To find out which package best matches your needs, contact the Unity Sales Team now.

Are you just upset CryEngine has no free tutorials?

They have a Dev Tutorial Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CryDevPortal/playlists

How else is CRYE supposed to make a profit.. It's open source and royalty free AFAIK.
If you're just upset they don't have enough public content out there.. when the engine just launched.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT:

IMO, Self-entitled Indie game devs have become such a cancer in the software world. You're all looking for the easiest solution with the most minimal effort so you can turn a quick buck on green light. It's fucking sad to see the curiosity and imagination that once was a part of this industry be sucked out by shitty games and SJW soap box artists.

Like this engine is now following the true ethos of the open source community. The engine has a "pay what you want" model where you decide how much you invest to see improvement to the engine.. while remaining completely open source and royalty free.

How awesome is that? But of course, now you're bitching there aren't enough tutorials for you to quickly copy and paste off of so you can shove your shit through the door onto steam.

Real Talk: I hope you never called me smart because that's embarrassing for me.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom