Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unkillable Cat's Unpatriotic CCP Mockery Thread (aka WoD got cancelled)

Uh, Libyans assassinated a guy who worked for the US government, lol.

We all know if Gaddafi were still in power today he'd be funding an Eve Online Corp with his gold.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I would love to, if I could even remember any of it anymore. I've made great progress in distancing myself from the game and everything related to it, making do nowadays with monthly glances or so.

lightbane

Arcane
So, did they have another "Real Life" event that the fans fucked up as well, or not yet?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
"Not yet" is the answer for now.

Latest news - daily quests. Kill a rat once a day and you get an extra 10.000 skillpoints.

On the planning board, mine an asteroid once a day for same, and other similar 'reward for logging in' activities.

F2P EVE is looming ever closer on the horizon...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Yes, $15 a month or 1.1 billion ISK (in-game) for 30 days of game time.

But it's clear that EVE is moving towards a Pay2XXX-model, but exactly which model is uncertain...knowing them, they might try for all of them at once.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Someone wanted to hear stories about how bat-shit insane this game can get? Well I remember one now, but it's not exactly about the game. (And I faintly recall having posted this here before.)

Pandemic Legion is one of the 'big' players of EVE, an alliance that seems to have their fingers in everything, legal or otherwise. Well, some years ago someone with access to the forum took a closer look and found some interesting stuff in the forum itself, not the postings per se.

As everyone knows, EVE Online is a game that's built on (the lack of) trust, so anyone wanting to get ahead needs to know whom to trust and how to find the untrustworthy. The Pandemic Legion forum seems to have that sorted. Its most basic layer of security is that only registered users can view the forum, but it's the secondary layers that got people's attention.

The 'investigator' identified two particular layers of security built into the forum. The first one comes up if you screencap the forum and try to post the image online 'anonymously'. The forum has an in-built watermark feature that can be brought up with certain custom-made software, and the watermark is different for every poster. I'm guessing this is just a variation of EXIF, but impressive nevertheless.

It's the other layer that impressed the hell out of me, though. The forum has an in-built dictionary, and every post that is displayed on the PL forums has some words switched out with synonyms. Someone may post "Fleet fight at 8 o'clock" and the post will read "Fleet bash at 8 o' clock" to one forum user and "Fleet fight at 20:00" to another. And of course the forum tracks which changes are shown to which users, so copy/pasting a text is just as tracable as a screencap.

There are probably other security measures built into the forum, but they haven't been discovered...yet.

More stuff closing down at EVE - now it's Evelopedia, the official information resource for EVE Online.

Yes, this means there's no official out-of-game help available for the game.

CCP claims that they're going to bring it back in a different format via other means...yeah, right.

I remember drama about how someone edited wiki page about trusted 3rd party and scammed people. Does it related to this somehow?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Not that I know of. What you're mentioning is news to me as well, but falls quite perfectly into the "shit that happens in EVE" zone.

Norfleet

It's the other layer that impressed the hell out of me, though. The forum has an in-built dictionary, and every post that is displayed on the PL forums has some words switched out with synonyms. Someone may post "Fleet fight at 8 o'clock" and the post will read "Fleet bash at 8 o' clock" to one forum user and "Fleet fight at 20:00" to another. And of course the forum tracks which changes are shown to which users, so copy/pasting a text is just as tracable as a screencap.
This layer actually doesn't seem impressive at all, and would, in fact, likely be detected if I were there, when someone fails the Changeling Infiltration Check because their phraseology was altered by the software. Or, more obviously, when two people on the forum discuss what they saw elsewhere and notice that what they're exchanging doesn't match what they see.

Harpsichord

Arcane
I loved the way that Goons would dox people who tried to organize against them in Haven & Hearth.

lightbane

Arcane
Their own private forum with a triple security layer. So much effort for a goddamn game... But then again, Goons have to be crazy to willingly pay to register in a forum webpage (and then pay extra for other details, not counting EVE itself).

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
We can't talk smack much in that regard, since we have people here who have paid for the privilege of shitposting on /gd/ (IIRC at least Fretty did this).

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
For this idea to have a chance of working, CCP needs to think small to begin with. Think of the Mortal Kombat mini-series. See how that fares.

Meanwhile, the EVE Online Fanfest is in full swing here in Iceland. I'm staying away from downtown for the duration, instead choosing to watch from a distance. As usual, Fanfest reveals vague promises about what's coming up in EVE, but it's the potential drama related to the Council of Stellar Management that has my full attention.

The results for the election to the latest panel of CSM delegates was announced, and there pops up a name: Xenuria. This seemingly created a flow of butthurt, but then the juicy bits come out:

When I had access to the Goonswarm recruitment blacklist, the "reason" column for Xenuria simply listed "nazis". I've second-hand heard without evidence that he has talked about pederasty in a youtube video as well. Obviously we [Goons] recruited him at some point after that for some reason Mittani had at the time. Morale autism

Darius Johnson of Goonswarm and CCP fame said:
People who have built for themselves an idea of what the metagame is don't often understand limits. I've never gone after anyone not in game who hasn't come after me and often even they get a pass.
In one instance I can recall this asshole CSM guy (THINK his name MAY have been Joseph Morrison. Not a dox, we had to use real names on CSM and it's public record) violated his NDA (CCP did zilch), continued to use exploits to record NDA'd conversations on Skype (CCP did zilch) and then posted said logs on 4chan including pictures of my newborn daughter. (again nothing from CCP. There's a pattern here. What one might call A CLUE)
If ever there was a time I wanted to do something unprofessional that was it. It was all done in public and I'm sure you can find it now if you wanted to.
Hell, I recall another instance in which I believe Xenuria made a "hilarious" prank call to CCP Atlanta to Ned Coker and said he was Vilerat then posted it on soundcloud, as you can see he does with other "hilarious" prank calls.
Xenuria is currently being pushed for CSM by Mittani and Sion and is an active participant in TMC. Mittani was made aware of this as soon as Xenuria showed up there.
If Xenuria ends up an actual candidate and CCP doesn't do the right thing and remove him from contention I'll tell the rest of these stories.

He's a pedophile.

I wish I was joking.

Xenuria's YT channel

The filth spreads.

lightbane

Arcane
How long until the whole thing collapses and the Goontards flee to Space Citizen? IIRC, CCP's staff is very small after countless layoffs.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I'd be happy if EVE Online would turn into a singularity that would implode on itself, trapping within it all the 'regulars' and Goons for all eternity.

The world would be a better place, and CCP would get medals all round.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Small update: One of the best 3rd-party programs for EVE Online has, for years, been EVEMon, a skill management tool allowing players to plan their skill learning from any angle. Want to fly that specific ship? EVEMon can tell you how long that'll take, and in what order the skills must be trained.

Earlier this week version 3.0 of EVEMon was released, offering a wide array of changes and additions. The day after the lead developer of EVEMon announced he's quitting both EVEMon AND the game.

This comes shortly after the game had a "free weekend", allowing me to log in my account and take a look at the current state of the game. At this state I'd need to join a n00b corp to get back up to speed with all the changes. But hey, at least my pod is no longer moss green, but a nice shade of blue!

There was a WoD TV show though....

Weirdly enough, the short-lived (one season) Blade tv series (old HBO one, not the upcoming one) was a better WoD tv show than the WoD tv show.

It failed because the 'Blade' character was a crappy uncharismatic 'whose that guy that's not Wesley Snipes' random, who was also completely sidelined from the main plot. Vampire clans divided into 'pure vampires' who are born from other pure vampires, are centuries to millenia old, absurdly powerful, and their underlings the 'half-bloods', who are humans turned into vampires - who run all the vampires' companies etc, do all the military work etc. Same initial rules as Blade movies, i.e. getting turned into a vampire makes you evil with bloodlust. Main character investigates the series' Ventrue equivalent clan (they've got all the WoD standards, including a Tremere-equivalent), and gets caught and turned. Blade intercepts her before she feeds, gives her the same drug/replacement blood that he uses, and uses her as his 'inside plant'.

So far, so dull. But the ventrue-equivalent villain was fucking awesome. It starts becoming clear that he's playing a very very long game against the 'pure vampire' overlords, that he probably knows that the main female lead is a double-agent and is keeping her in place because he wants Blade to be unknowingly on his side. Then late in the piece things start slotting into place - several hundred years back as a human, he defied a local mafia boss who turned out to be a 'pure vampire', his family got turned and he got strung up and left out to die in the desert. Some native american vampire-like creature, a Kuei-jin equivalent, found him, took pity and turned him, and he's spent the past 400 years on a long-term revenge plan to rise up through the vampire ranks (because they all think he's clan ventrue-equivalent, and one of them), all his anti-Blade experiments (trying to create other day-walkers, weapons that will work against Blade, etc) are cover for his developing weapons against the pure-bloods, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom